PDA

View Full Version : Turbo heatshield/hood/blanket

SP33DY
31-01-2010, 21:22
I'm looking for a suitable turbo blanket for a gt28 turbo with an internal wastegate theres loads available all at varying prices. Obviously I preffer to buy one that does what it's supposed to and don't mind spending a little bit more for peace of mind.

The reason I need this is the turbo sits between the block and the bulk head as such it's within 2cm of the brakelines. I have pressed foil heat shield (begins with a Z) but would also like a turbo jacket/beanie/cover/ etc....

I'm wondering what peoples experiences are? and what people would recommend? or have had personal experiences with?

Thanks

Steve

rs250nut
31-01-2010, 22:02
If you look down a bit there is a thread on this subject;)

SP33DY
31-01-2010, 22:12
I've alredy done a search but figured I'd post another thread asking about peoples experiences and recomendations

I might just order one from america and see what it's like. :)

SP33DY
01-02-2010, 08:51
Has anyone tried any ceramic coatings?

stu21t
01-02-2010, 17:18
Currently my fanny mould and 75% of my exhaust system are wrapped. It made a huge difference to my car.
I am going to get the fanny mould, turbo exhaust housing and downpipe all ceramic coated by Zircotec, then wrap them all in dei wrap and sealer will also get a jacket for the turbo, then the rest of the exhaust will b wrapped up to the silencers to.

It should make quite a difference.

SP33DY
01-02-2010, 18:12
Cheers Stu, I was looking at the DEI turbo blanket kit (with the exhaust wrap) but the cheapest I could find it was £250.

I emailed zircotec for a price on my log manifold, tubine housing and down pipe but they haven't got back to me.

I also phoned Camcoat and got a very reasonale coat of £200+vat for the lot.

One thing I did notice is that Camcoat do internal and external for that price whilst zircotec only seem to offer external.

Heard good reviews for both so might give the Camcoat a shot.

stu21t
01-02-2010, 23:04
from memory a manifold is £43 per foot and a 3" exhaust is £51 per foot or 15% more for a coloured coating. std colour is white.
from zircotec.

i might try camcoat for a pice for me. i also like the look of their thermal heat repelant paint.
they recon that by painting metal parts you can improve heat disserpation by 20%
would be good for inlet manifolds, radiators, intercoolers......

stu21t
02-02-2010, 18:24
well ive spoken to camcoat and zircotec now

cam coat said they will treat inside and out of the manifold and downpipe, and outside the turbo housing.
all for a very good price.
they said they use an insulating material, so the inside coat stops the heat entering the manifold material, then the coating outside stops the heat leaving the metal and entering the surrounding area.
and due to the material they use(ceramic) it stops about 50% off the heat transfer, and it also doesnt need any airflow over it.
and he said DONT wrap it. but fitting a heatshield would be a good idea, i was going to do this anyway using nimbus.

zircotec said they recon a 30% reduction in heat transfer BUT it needs airflow over it, something you wont get in the 5 due to all the positions of stuff.
then they recon if you add heat wrap it will reduce temps by a further 20%.

so camcoat is cheaper, possibly better, doesnt need heat wrap.
zircotec will perform better with wrap(more cost and hassle) costs more money.

i will be sending my stuff to camcoat.

they also do another coating that helps transfer heat OUT of metal,
so useful for, inlet manifold(im getting mine done) inter coolers, rads.....

im also going to get a thermal insulating plate that goes between the head and both manifolds, thats stops heat transfer from the ex manifold to the head, and from the head to the inlet.