PDA

View Full Version : primer

mike r5 gtt
30-01-2010, 23:04
has anyone used the spray can primers??im trying to sort/prep as much of my shell as i can and was wondering if its worth primming it with the spray can stuff or are they a waste of time?would the finish b poo?would the paint react?
would i be better off buying a cheap spray gun?any bodyshop guru's out there?

mike r5 gtt
31-01-2010, 21:42
if i was to spray the car using rattle cans would i need to prime it first or just spray straight on??
most people that have sprayed there car with cans have all gone for black, is there a reason for this?(other than they all like black)!would other colours look s**t??

rs250nut
31-01-2010, 21:54
You only need to prime repairs, the whole car wont need it unless its full of scratches, dents etc. I would not try and paint a whole car with cans your better off buying a cheap compressor and spray gun.

mike r5 gtt
31-01-2010, 22:42
iv got a compressor but not sure where to buy or how much 'proper' paint would be?i could get a cheap spray gun but then would i need to make a mini bodyshop in the garden to spray it all?
if my shell is bare metal then is there a certain type of base paint i should be using??:scratch:

RoboEK
31-01-2010, 23:10
Halfords can mix up prity much any colour (on a Holts system) £13.99 for a half litre and£24.99 for a litre iirc. and its celulose which is much easyer to spray than this water based crap.

rs250nut
01-02-2010, 08:33
Bare metal areas will need a coat of etch or the paint wont stick. Celly paint is proper ****e, 2k is what you want for jobs like what your doing with an express hardner. Water based stuff is the dogs bollocks if you have blowers. Be very carefull painting your own car, you could spent a load of money on all the stuff to do it for it to turn out like a bag of ****e, when for a little bit more cash you could have it done properly.

djinuk
01-02-2010, 08:59
my advice would cheap for a small compressor and cheapo gun, .. get any filler work down to 400 grade, then blast up repairs in high build and flat the high build back to 800.

That should give an ideal surface to paint to, if its bare metal then as above it will need an etch primer.

Ricardo
01-02-2010, 14:41
You only need to prime repairs, the whole car wont need it unless its full of scratches, dents etc. I would not try and paint a whole car with cans your better off buying a cheap compressor and spray gun.

So if the whole car (1 colour) was in reasonable condition and you wanted to change colour,no primer then? I assume flat it back to key it then use a different colour? What if the colour is a lot lighter or darker?

rs250nut
01-02-2010, 16:14
So if the whole car (1 colour) was in reasonable condition and you wanted to change colour,no primer then? I assume flat it back to key it then use a different colour? What if the colour is a lot lighter or darker?

No primer, you only need it for damge. The only time it may be worth using a bit of tinted primer (wet on wet) is for yellow or orange because these two colours are usally poo for coverage.

wrightygtt
01-02-2010, 16:56
Theres a product called advanced g-matt rapide used to key if the paints okay then give the panal a fecking good grey scotch with g-matt and it will give you a nice key.
, I also usually use tintable 2k lechler primer for most jobs on repairs, with reds I'm using light red tintable primers, because in standox waterbased if you don't it can take 4/5 coats to cover or more.:crap:

tiff_lee
01-02-2010, 19:24
Sorry for the minor hijack but since we're talking about compressor vs rattle can thought it would be fit to ask.
I was planning on doing a rattle can matt black job like clee did, if I was to opt for a compressor & spray gun instead what paint would I need ?

mike r5 gtt
01-02-2010, 21:18
i was gona get the car sprayed properly ..take it to my local bodyshop but just for them to spray it im looking at about a grand :eek::cry:
so seeing as this is a track/strip car only and spends 90%of its life on a trailer i thought i could save some cash and just spray it with cans??
i can prep it all myself (hopefuly)!i already have a compressor and can prob borrow a gun but the price of the paint is still alot more than cans and im woried it will look **** coz iv never sprayed before!
iv been lookin tho past threads and would i be right in thinking that most people that have used cans have just sprayed it straight on??:scratch:
this is my first stab at bodywork!!:rolleyes: and im not convinced!

rs250nut
01-02-2010, 21:57
Theres a product called advanced g-matt rapide used to key if the paints okay then give the panal a fecking good grey scotch with g-matt and it will give you a nice key.
, I also usually use tintable 2k lechler primer for most jobs on repairs, with reds I'm using light red tintable primers, because in standox waterbased if you don't it can take 4/5 coats to cover or more.:crap:

G-matt, prep and blend its good stuff, I personally dont grey scotch whole cars it takes to long, 1000 with interface on a da then scotch the edges;)

rs250nut
01-02-2010, 21:59
Sorry for the minor hijack but since we're talking about compressor vs rattle can thought it would be fit to ask.
I was planning on doing a rattle can matt black job like clee did, if I was to opt for a compressor & spray gun instead what paint would I need ?

A straight black then add a matting agent could be one option:)

rs250nut
01-02-2010, 22:02
i was gona get the car sprayed properly ..take it to my local bodyshop but just for them to spray it im looking at about a grand :eek::cry:
so seeing as this is a track/strip car only and spends 90%of its life on a trailer i thought i could save some cash and just spray it with cans??
i can prep it all myself (hopefuly)!i already have a compressor and can prob borrow a gun but the price of the paint is still alot more than cans and im woried it will look **** coz iv never sprayed before!
iv been lookin tho past threads and would i be right in thinking that most people that have used cans have just sprayed it straight on??:scratch:
this is my first stab at bodywork!!:rolleyes: and im not convinced!

How many cans do you think you will need 10-15? Weigh that up to the price of 2litres of cheap 2k:)

Sorry about my mutiple posts, I dont no how to add more than one quote:ashamed:

Scoff
01-02-2010, 22:10
I tell you what, if you're after painting a gloss, forget cans - it will look awfull, trust me. When I was 17 (A "while" ago) I was pretty handy with a rattle can and decided to paint my car of the time. I used about 50 cans, most panels took 3 cans to get good coverage and leave enough paint on to allow a flat and polish later. It cost an arm and a leg. 50 cans @ 4 quid a pop is not pocket change, you'd buy a few litres of 2k, hardner and thinners and have enough change for a cheap gun. The only time you'd want to paint with cans might be if you were going for a matt finish.