PDA

View Full Version : clio 1.4 etoile - auto (X Reg)

Wallace
29-01-2010, 21:00
This my daily run about - i've had the tdc sensor fail on me twice:mad: causing me to brake down,the first time it wasn't replaced with a genuine part, so once it failed again i obviously replaced with a genuine part and that seems fine?!.........i also have problems with the coil packs....

Recently, i've changed 1 coil pack twice in the space of about 3 months, and last night the car was running lumpy and seemingly just on 3 cyclinders - and hey presto - another coil pack has gone:mad: (not the same one just replaced!)

It's been recommended to me to replace them 'all' once 1 goes faulty?? and i've also had it mentioned that perhaps the spark plugs should be replaced for genuine parts??

I've tried various coil packs - all from GSF and varying prices (£12 to £25) and makes. The spark plugs have been either bosch or NGK, once again from GSF!

Driving home tonight the car is still 'stuttering' and not ticking over as smoothly as it should....................

I'm wondering could excessive corrosion in the exhaust cause a sensor to be not operating properly? (exhaust mentioned in the last MOT - December 2009)

Or could it also possible be the Catalitic Converter is needind replacing??

I know the history of this car, it was my dads previously and he owned it from new! and both exhaust and Cat are the original, so well over due replacing perhaps!

It's also just clocked 79'000 - Can any of you guys make any suggestions on things i can check??

From previous searches i've also read that the injectors can become 'clogged' so perhaps an additive to try and flush it through?

Pretty sure it's a K4J engine, but would need to confirm:scratch::D

Any help, advice is much appreciated:agree:

mike r5 gtt
29-01-2010, 21:44
if u have the four pencil type coils then renault have updated them and they are MUCH better than the old ones!!new ones have a brown top instead of grey or black (if really old)!think euros sell the uprated ones?would also recomend renault plugs as some of the cheaper ones can cause lots of probs.

Wallace
30-01-2010, 10:23
Cheers for a reply Mike,

Yes it is the 4 x pencil coil pack design - the current ones were Blue, and the ones i've just fitted are black and Brown!

I'll check to see what my brother use to fit (mechanic and always did the work!) when my dad had issues, asked my dad and he just reakons always whatever the Car spares gave them ie. cheap plugs and cheap coil packs.......but he never had them go so regularlary:scratch:

Time to get underneath and see how bad the exhaust actually is, i know it's blowing and knocks:ashamed::laugh:

any other suggestions??? (other than sell it:wasntme:)

mike r5 gtt
30-01-2010, 17:12
if your cat is knackered then ud prob hear it rattling away!and unless the broken up peices are blocking the exhaust (unlikely) then it shouldnt cause to many/any rough runnings!
another thing those engines can suffer from for rough running/cutting out (especially autos) is the throttle body being full of crud.nothing brake cleaner and an old tooth brush cant fix :D:D

Wallace
30-01-2010, 18:28
Nice one:agree:

I'll check it out tmrw........it's definately running lumpy so was thinking also possible sh*t batch of fuel cause i only ever put sainsbury cheapy cheap in it:D

Cheers mate much appreciated:agree::agree::agree:

mike r5 gtt
30-01-2010, 21:00
might just need a fuel filter if its never had one!
good luck:D

Wallace
05-02-2010, 21:35
Ummmkayy!!

Just put a code reader on the car and got the following:

P0711 (pd) Transmission & B0500 (pd) Performance

Done a quick google on it, and it seems to be sensor issues, which i assume is also another reason why it is idling ruff.......the gear changes are perhaps a little ruff too so it's all appearing to make sense:scratch::cool:

So, firstly...........can anyone advise me what i should change/replace or clean etc?

And if pos, any part numbers so i can re-new the sensors?

and lastly perhaps if anyone could explain the codes in Renault Terms, because the info on a google search isn't Renault specific?!

Thank you:agree:

Wallace
09-02-2010, 22:28
Anyone able to help?:D

mike r5 gtt
10-02-2010, 19:21
what type of scanner did u use?if u could get the renault codes i might b able to help!if ur local i could plug my clip in to it if you want?!

Wallace
11-02-2010, 19:23
Top man again Mike:agree:

I'm based in "St evenage"? (stevenage:laugh::D) - if your local let me know and wouldn't be a bad idea to code read on a renault set up?:agree:

I used a Mac-Tools EOBD Reader. And to be honest it's running alot better now the coil packs have been changed, and a clean of the throttle area,i've done the fuel filter on every service anyway too!

The codes relate to a temperature sensor, which i am assuming is in/around the gear box, from what i gather, the temps are rising and getting too hot perhaps - so anyway i'm going to change the gearbox oil (doubt this has ever been done) cause surely this can only be a good thing:agree:

And mainly what i've been wondering is if you/or anybody was aware of a sensor that does this kind of job?

Basicallly mate, i think also i'll call renault direct too, but just thought i'd try on here because of peoples knowledge etc and it's not alway easy for me to grab the time to call places during the day:mad:

If you can help in anyway with the above then thanks again Mike, but if not, no worries............:agree::coffee:

mike r5 gtt
11-02-2010, 22:24
alright mate i work in guildford/woking area so about an hours drive from u but i dont mind plugging it in for u if u want unless someones closer?!
iv got a clip and a snap on scanner but im pretty sure some of the blokes in the workshop use mac scanners so il hav a look 2moz and see if i can find your fault codes.

Wallace
14-02-2010, 18:18
alright mate i work in guildford/woking area so about an hours drive from u but i dont mind plugging it in for u if u want unless someones closer?!
iv got a clip and a snap on scanner but im pretty sure some of the blokes in the workshop use mac scanners so il hav a look 2moz and see if i can find your fault codes.

Nice one Mike:agree:

Any help appreciated, the car is running ok, but just not as it should be! - as always just want to get things sorted so as not to keep running into problems - if thats possible:D

Thanks again mate:agree::agree::agree:

Wallace
12-10-2010, 10:54
My fecking speedo stopped working today:mad: - Started showing the wrong speed, doing 70mph on the motorway and the speedo showing 30mph:laugh:

Then dropped to zero and stopped working completely..........

Any tips or pointers?? before i strip the whole dash down!