PDA

View Full Version : B18ft Questions

TrixNFlix
28-01-2010, 20:49
Right probably will keep adding to this thread over the coming months.
First questions are:

I have 2 red ecus and the air mass meter that has a blue colured circle on it?
Is there a particular year this wiring is from, Pre 91?
What size belt do i need for a gtt alternator?
What size pulley is needed for the alternator?
Where would i connect the gtt tdc?

Thanks andy

TrixNFlix
28-01-2010, 21:01
Also have brown injectors, i assume these are standard?

Markey Mark (BD)
28-01-2010, 21:07
Does the GT alternator fit? I'm not too sure if it does mate but to be honest i've not compared the 2.

I'd use a Volvo alternator as it'll have the right pulley on it, also you'll want a Renault 5 GTX belt and barcket to fit the alternator to.

TrixNFlix
28-01-2010, 21:11
Does the GT alternator fit? I'm not too sure if it does mate but to be honest i've not compared the 2.

I'd use a Volvo alternator as it'll have the right pulley on it, also you'll want a Renault 5 GTX belt and barcket to fit the alternator to.

I just assumed you could change the belt side of the gtt alternator so it would fit :scratch:
So i need a gtx belt,:agree: Is the gtx bracket not the same as a gtt bracket?

Markey Mark (BD)
28-01-2010, 21:13
No just looking at my Volvo engine alternator is different, i'd stick with putting a Volvo alternator one there.

No the GTX bracket is different to the gt turbo one, the GTX is a 1.7 so based on the same basic engine as the volvo.

TrixNFlix
28-01-2010, 21:16
No just looking at my Volvo engine alternator is different, i'd stick with putting a Volvo alternator one there.

No the GTX bracket is different to the gt turbo one, the GTX is a 1.7 so based on the same basic engine as the volvo.

Which gtx bracket are we on about here Mark?

Markey Mark (BD)
28-01-2010, 21:19
Which gtx bracket are we on about here Mark?

The one that allows you to adjust the alternator mate.
I got mine off a Volvo ES without power steering and Aircon so pretty much the same.

TrixNFlix
28-01-2010, 21:29
The one that allows you to adjust the alternator mate.
I got mine off a Volvo ES without power steering and Aircon so pretty much the same.

Ok thanks Mark. Do you have any better pics of this bracket?Is the gtx belt 6 pk or 3 pk?

Markey Mark (BD)
28-01-2010, 21:31
I'll dig out my bracket tomorrow and take a pic for you, i'll get the part number of the belt too so you know you get the right one

Markey Mark (BD)
28-01-2010, 21:37
I've just found a pic of a new bracket for you to see what it looks like

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=1167&d=1232898653

TrixNFlix
28-01-2010, 21:40
Thanks Mark, just been looking and my alternator bracket that bolts to the block is different to yours, mine is much lower and a different shape. :scratch:I m confused now, is this the gtx bracket your on about or the swing arm that allows you to adjust the alternator belt tension? :wasntme: Doesnt take much to confuse me. :scared:

TrixNFlix
28-01-2010, 21:41
I've just found a pic of a new bracket for you to see what it looks like

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=1167&d=1232898653

Or do i need both? :laugh:

Markey Mark (BD)
28-01-2010, 21:46
Thanks Mark, just been looking and my alternator bracket that bolts to the block is different to yours, mine is much lower and a different shape. :scratch:I m confused now, is this the gtx bracket your on about or the swing arm that allows you to adjust the alternator belt tension? :wasntme: Doesnt take much to confuse me. :scared:

My one was the wrong one to start with in the pic's (if your looking at the red bracket), my engine had aircon so the alternator is mounted higher up. I've now changed it to the lower one which will be same as yours so you'll only need the bracket in the pic mate.;)

TrixNFlix
28-01-2010, 21:53
My one was the wrong one to start with in the pic's (if your looking at the red bracket), my engine had aircon so the alternator is mounted higher up. I've now changed it to the lower one which will be same as yours so you'll only need the bracket in the pic mate.;)

Phew!:p
This engine ive got came out of a r5 and to me it looks like they have used 3pk alt belt of some length with a gtt alt, so this would slip at high revs wouldnt it? because none of the gtt alternators had any groves for this type of belt, did they?

Markey Mark (BD)
28-01-2010, 21:56
This engine ive got came out of a r5 and to me it looks like they have used 3pk alt belt of some length with a gtt alt, so this would slip at high revs wouldnt it? because none of the gtt alternators had any groves for this type of belt, did they?

Yeah i almost got this engine too mate :D

I've not really seen a volvo engine with a 5 alternator on it and 3pk belt so can't really say, for me i'd rather fit the original alternator and belt so you know its how its meant to be.

No gtt alternator come with a groove pulley, they all had V belt pulleys

James5
28-01-2010, 21:57

you need both brackets matey, see the alternator (attached link) on my old 172 lump you have the zinc lower bracket and the top bracket bolts to the block this is used when you remove the air con and PAS pumps
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=1275&d=1233773658

Markey Mark (BD)
28-01-2010, 22:01
you need both brackets matey, see the alternator (attached link) on my old 172 lump you have the zinc lower bracket and the top bracket bolts to the block this is used when you remove the air con and PAS pumps
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=1275&d=1233773658

If the volvo came without aircon mate the engine will already have the mount in the pic that attach's to the block mate so he'll not need that one.
If it was like mine then yeah your absolutely right mate. ;)

TrixNFlix
28-01-2010, 22:07
Thanks Mark and James,:agree: I just need the gtx alternator adjusting bracket, gtx belt and Volvo alternator. Not much needed then! :eek:

philg
29-01-2010, 08:47
i think this is the road im going to go down once i get some space in the garage.

How much did you pay for the whole lot, and how far are you planning on taking it?

phil

dave r5
29-01-2010, 11:50
Right probably will keep adding to this thread over the coming months.
First questions are:

I have 2 red ecus and the air mass meter that has a blue colured circle on it?
Is there a particular year this wiring is from, Pre 91?
What size belt do i need for a gtt alternator?
What size pulley is needed for the alternator?
Where would i connect the gtt tdc?

Thanks andy

the colour of ecu's dont realy determine year i dont think mate as long as u have a matched pair yll be ok. every AFM ive had also had a blue circle sticker.

if i remember corectly yr tdc sensor will have 3 wires instead of 2.
and yr flywheel will be 200mm in diameter.

the tdc is connected as the same place u would find it on a standard r5 gtt

hope that helps

TrixNFlix
29-01-2010, 19:11
i think this is the road im going to go down once i get some space in the garage.

How much did you pay for the whole lot, and how far are you planning on taking it?

phil

Hi Phil paid £240 for engine, turbo and looms, its missing alt, water pipes, tdc sensor gearbox and the proper downpipe i think:scratch: as its got some weird looking thing grafted on.

First off this will probably just running around 0.9 bar mark with the standard t2, when it goes in depends on whether the c1j gives me anymore jip. I think that 160 bhp will be more than enough for me to start with on track, and most of all it will be reliable:laugh:

TrixNFlix
29-01-2010, 19:12
the colour of ecu's dont realy determine year i dont think mate as long as u have a matched pair yll be ok. every AFM ive had also had a blue circle sticker.

if i remember corectly yr tdc sensor will have 3 wires instead of 2.
and yr flywheel will be 200mm in diameter.

the tdc is connected as the same place u would find it on a standard r5 gtt

hope that helps

Thanks dave for the info, its just that i dont have the volvo tdc. :scared:

Ricardo
29-01-2010, 19:13
160bhp unreliable in a C1J :scratch:

TrixNFlix
29-01-2010, 19:16
160bhp unreliable in a C1J :scratch:

C1j unreliable in my experience :cry:

Markey Mark (BD)
29-01-2010, 19:23
Thanks dave for the info, its just that i dont have the volvo tdc. :scared:

I got my old one here mate if your interested in it, i'm not needing it anymore

Ricardo
29-01-2010, 19:24
C1j unreliable in my experience :cry:

Aaah from personal experience then, a stock untouched C1J engine will last, regular oil changes will keep it running well. It's when people who don't know what they're doing like messing with things like the carb it starts to go wrong.

TrixNFlix
29-01-2010, 19:24
I got my old one here mate if your interested in it, i'm not needing it anymore

Sounds great Mark, Pm me price , please :agree:

TrixNFlix
29-01-2010, 19:26
Aaah from personal experience then, a stock untouched C1J engine will last, regular oil changes will keep it running well. It's when people who don't know what they're doing like messing with things like the carb it starts to go wrong.

Great good for you Ricardo, im happy that you been fine with your c1j, just not worked out with mine.

Ricardo
29-01-2010, 19:32
Great good for you Ricardo, im happy that you been fine with your c1j, just not worked out with mine.

Fair enough :agree:

TrixNFlix
29-01-2010, 19:48
Fair enough :agree:

Cool, Ricardo :cool::agree::D

Ricardo
29-01-2010, 20:04
Cool, Ricardo :cool::agree::D

:cool: :D