PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure and garrett gt series turbo

SP33DY
27-01-2010, 19:31
Having read the garret turbo tech pages as well as the optimization section I noticed it advises the use of a restrictor with the GT series turbos when oil pressure exceed 45 psi.

Ive just had a look at the clio workshop manual and the oil pressures are stated as

1 bar at idle
3 bar at 3000rpm

So the question is, do F4R series engine have an oil pressure regulating system or will it carry on in a directly proportion style which would equal 7 bar at 7000rpm?

Cheers

Steve

Spooky
27-01-2010, 19:41
You mean 7000rpm? :D

SP33DY
27-01-2010, 19:43
I will perform a sneaky edit so no one knows what your talking about :laugh:

Spooky
27-01-2010, 19:54
Love the reason for edit :laugh:

Isnt the pressure regulated by the engine speed as the oil pump is driven by the crank?

clee
27-01-2010, 19:55
I wouldn't expect it to rise proportionately .7 bar would be a tad excessive even at 700 rpm :p
I do know that my mate with the F4RT Spider has been blowing turbo seals regularly though ,not sure what turbo he has fitted but it was fecking them off fairly often .I'll ask if he ever got to the bottom of why .
My GTA lump is 2.2 @ idle (800) and 4.4 @ 4k and without checking I can't swear to it but I don't think it goes much higher .

Tony Walker
27-01-2010, 19:58
Not seen the f4r oil pump but the majority of pumps have an over pressure relief valve in the form of a preloaded spring and ball bearing. not sure what the maximum pressure is but i wouldnt of thought it would be much more than 3 bar,

Spooky
27-01-2010, 19:59
Steve, why not plumb in an oil pressure guage before you swap turbos and see whats happening :)

clee
27-01-2010, 20:02
Yep,what Tony said , spring loaded plunger pressure valve type thingy .

SP33DY
27-01-2010, 20:05
Spooky yeah its an internal pump running off the crank but thats why I'm asking the question, surely when the engine is at 7000rpm the oil pump will be spinning at a similar speed.?

Clee, Ktec sell there turbo kits without a restrictor and whilst I've never had any probs another lad is onto his fourth turbo so it could be a cause.

SP33DY
27-01-2010, 20:07
I so need to type faster.

SP33DY
27-01-2010, 20:09
Cheers for the replies chaps, I must admit I've been threatening to get an oil pressure gauge for a while now I figure nows as good a time as any.

Scoff
27-01-2010, 20:18
It has an internal ball-valve to regulate, I think my standard pump made about 50psi at the block when warm. I shimmed the release valve to get that up to 60psi. I don't run the restrictor in my GT blower because I tend to think it needs all the oil pressure it can get in my case, and I accept the blue overrun smoke that happens as a result. I think 1mm restrictor is what most folk fit. I wouldn't bother fitting the restrictor initially and see how you go. If it turns out you're pushing oil out of the exhaust then try fitting it.

Tony Walker
27-01-2010, 20:19
Cheers for the replies chaps, I must admit I've been threatening to get an oil pressure gauge for a while now I figure nows as good a time as any.

I got a mocal one from demon tweeks, reasonable price i think around £50 its a dual oil temp/pressure gauge. one the most important gauges to have IMO

Spooky
27-01-2010, 20:23
Spooky yeah its an internal pump running off the crank but thats why I'm asking the question, surely when the engine is at 7000rpm the oil pump will be spinning at a similar speed.?

RPM/speed wise, I would say yes.

Pressure wise I would say no.

I would imagine the pump is at peak pressure at some point, other than using a guage directly fitted to the engine, there is no way of telling unless someone has discovered what it is.

Like you say, can't see nothing in the workshop manny where it states the pumps peak flow rate.

Did that even make sense? :ashamed:

Spooky
27-01-2010, 20:24
Thanks Scoff :ashamed:

SP33DY
27-01-2010, 20:28
Can you get dual oil pressure/ oil temp gauges?

I'll be honest though I'm not really into this whole gauges on the A pillar malarky any suggestions on any other discreet places to mount them?

SP33DY
27-01-2010, 20:32
Disregard the last post just done a quick search and theres loads you can get.

As it stands I have the LCD zeitronix kit from Scoff i'll be reading A/F, EGT's, and boost with that and the rest is just whats OE (not sure if its oil temp or water temp?)

What would people deem the minimum/essential gauges?

Tony Walker
27-01-2010, 22:05
Think in order roughly most important imo:
Water temp (as long as the standard gauge has a good connection and good engine earth then the standard one works pretty well)
Boost gauge
Oil pressure/temp (Standard pressure/level sensor isnt very accurate)
Air/fuel ratio (wideband)
charge temp
egt

somewhere along those lines