PDA

View Full Version : any plumbers in the house?

raj
04-10-2008, 15:30
im trying to solve an annoying problem with the central heating!

basically all the ground floor heater are cold and all the upstairs ones are nice and hot. whats going on??:confused:

this has only happened sice the other day, after i bled one of the upstairs radiators as it wasnt getting hot! now all upstairs are hot and non of the ground floor ones will get hot.
ive tried bleeding the ground floor rads and all im getting is cold water coming out, im getting hot water out of some but cant understand why the rads aint getting hot:confused: was all ok until i bled the upstairs rad:confused:

paul b
04-10-2008, 18:32
Ok, you will have to re-bleed the radiators again....

bleed the downstairs ones until hot water comes through...make sure each radiator is turned onto maximum heat...the valve on the pipe at the bottom of the radiator .....

also check your boiler...most have a pressure read out...between 0.5 bar and 1 bar is a normal figure....as you bleed the system the boiler will empty....some fill automatically, some need manually filling/topping up...see your handbook or search the web for a manual

raj
04-10-2008, 18:52
Ok, you will have to re-bleed the radiators again....

bleed the downstairs ones until hot water comes through...make sure each radiator is turned onto maximum heat...the valve on the pipe at the bottom of the radiator .....

also check your boiler...most have a pressure read out...between 0.5 bar and 1 bar is a normal figure....as you bleed the system the boiler will empty....some fill automatically, some need manually filling/topping up...see your handbook or search the web for a manual

all house rads are on max temp.
ive just bled the downstairs rads and its just cold water thats coming out:confused: im not getting any air escaping as i would have thought either:confused: upstairs are roasting:crap:

ill redo what ive done just to see if i notice any difference

clee
04-10-2008, 19:05
Have you got a dial type thermostat on a the rads ?1 to 5 type thingys ,opposite end/inlet to the bleed screw .They have a little metal plunger that sticks .You need to take the thermostat body off usually a plastic collar with a screw or threaded base .This will reveal the ickle pin .Pull this in and out with a pair of pliers ,careful now :laugh:
It's ok if it comes out ,just pop it back in .

raj
04-10-2008, 19:29
Have you got a dial type thermostat on a the rads ?1 to 5 type thingys ,opposite end/inlet to the bleed screw .They have a little metal plunger that sticks .You need to take the thermostat body off usually a plastic collar with a screw or threaded base .This will reveal the ickle pin .Pull this in and out with a pair of pliers ,careful now :laugh:
It's ok if it comes out ,just pop it back in .
no, none of the rads have the "dial type stats" fitted.
i think one side is the stat under the cap and and the other is thye temp/flow control.?
ive fiddled with a few of the stats and theres no chance in hell they pull out!! they only un-whind and get longer and then stop!

its got me stumped:confused: :sad2:

clee
04-10-2008, 19:36
I think you need to chase the airlock round then .Start with the first rad after the boiler .Are the cold rads totally cold ? What about the pipes to them ?Cold also ?

Harrison01
04-10-2008, 19:41
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

im not a plumber but you may have zoned heating. zone 1 may be your upstairs or down stairs and zone 2 will be the other.

it could be that the valve that controls where the water goes could be up the duff if you even have zoned heating.

im not sure how to find out if you have zoned heating. you may have stat upstairs and one downstairs

this may help..:confused:

raj
04-10-2008, 20:12
I think you need to chase the airlock round then .Start with the first rad after the boiler .Are the cold rads totally cold ? What about the pipes to them ?Cold also ?

staring with thefirst rad after the boiler isnt easy as it sounds with my house being as it is:sad2: the rads are cold but the left hand pipe which i think is the inlet is hot, the pipe at the other end is cold.
i cant see it being the stats on the rads as they where ALL working as they should before i bled the upstairs.

thinks its time for a plumber:(

does anyone happen to know if disabled people get any benefits in this area?

clee
04-10-2008, 20:21
If it's hot on the inlet and cold on the outlet then ...........somewhere between the two is air or a mischievous little pixie :confused:

raj
04-10-2008, 20:26
If it's hot on the inlet and cold on the outlet then ...........somewhere between the two is air or a mischievous little pixie :confused:
that feckin pixie:mad: always causing me grief:cry:

turbo ted
04-10-2008, 22:20

Always Bleed The Raditors With The Heating Turned Off And The Rads Should Be Cold Because Water Expands When Its Hot And Then You Get Air Locks Always Bleed The Futherest Radiator From The Boiler And Work Your Way Back To The Nearest At Boiler :)

raj
04-10-2008, 22:27

Always Bleed The Raditors With The Heating Turned Off And The Rads Should Be Cold Because Water Expands When Its Hot And Then You Get Air Locks Always Bleed The Futherest Radiator From The Boiler And Work Your Way Back To The Nearest At Boiler :)

never tried it with the heating off, will give it a go first thing tomorrow :agree:
thanks.