PDA

View Full Version : Painting With Cellulose

Billy-G
04-10-2008, 14:14
Looking for some advice from those on here who do a bit of painting.

I've just painted some small pieces (fuel filler flap etc) with some cellulose from a rattle can, and it looks great, perfect match etc.

However, whats the next step to get rid of the slight orange peel?

Chap who matched the paint to the car mentioned giving it a 'flat back and polish' - wossat then?

I have some 1800 grit wet and dry and some G3 compound laying around already, is this what I should be using? And should I laquer it when I'm done?

Cheers :)

Scoff
04-10-2008, 15:05
the paint from a rattle can is pretty soft usually, g3 would be overkill. try the following:

find some 2000 grit paper, bucket of clean soapy water, soak the paper and the filler cap then lightly 'flat', or rub the orange peel away. be carefull, you'll rub through the paint quicker than you'd think, literally just take the tops off the orange peel. pay attention at edges, not to rub through.

with a damp cloth give it all a good polish with tcut or some other mild cutting stuff and it should come up nice.

if it was a metalic then you might have needed to laquer it before doing the above, but sometimes the metalics out of a can polish up OK without the clear.

Billy-G
04-10-2008, 16:40
the paint from a rattle can is pretty soft usually, g3 would be overkill. try the following:

find some 2000 grit paper, bucket of clean soapy water, soak the paper and the filler cap then lightly 'flat', or rub the orange peel away. be carefull, you'll rub through the paint quicker than you'd think, literally just take the tops off the orange peel. pay attention at edges, not to rub through.

with a damp cloth give it all a good polish with tcut or some other mild cutting stuff and it should come up nice.

if it was a metalic then you might have needed to laquer it before doing the above, but sometimes the metalics out of a can polish up OK without the clear.

Top stuff Scoff; I did just that and it looks bloody awesome. I can't believe how good actually:):agree:

Didn't use laquer, so we'll see if it stays looking as good in the long term, but right now, looks great.

I'm off to try the same with the new grille now:cool:

raj
04-10-2008, 17:02
wouldnt applying laquer give it more shine + protection though..?