PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump issues

Mr 5
04-10-2008, 12:29
ok so the fuel pump (i thought) died the other night,tried bridging the relay,nothing,wiggled aaaall wires,nowt.

got towed home and set about trying to change the pump,which may i add is only 6months old(ph1 jobbie)

took old off,put new on,even tested the power to the pump with a volt meter,loads of power,put it all together,tried to start the car....nothing....removed relay,briged wires....nothing....anger began to set in by this point....

left relay bridge'd,removed pump,checked wires again,yep loads of power,but now i could hear a clicking sound in a constant rhythem(sp) coming from the os 1/4?didnt pay much notice,then all of a sudden,while the pump was off i could hear the distinctive sound of the fuel pump wurring?!so at a guess i would say there's a pump in the circuit befor the main pump that sits under the tank that either has a mechanical or electrical fault?

assuming its the pump in the reserve tank but are there any other relays running down the ns of the car that relate to the fuel pump?put the car back together now,running without a problem but there's obviously a intermitent fault somewhere,

cheers people

Nayls
04-10-2008, 16:34
there's another relay in the rear quarter! that's probably what you can hear :)

Mr 5
04-10-2008, 17:20
is it just a standard relay or a stupid special fit one like the normal under dash fuel pump relay?

could i just swap it with say the old one for the non existant perc fan?

Tiny Tim
04-10-2008, 17:25
Special

Mr 5
04-10-2008, 17:30
nnooooo!

so is it the same as the under dash one?

going to pull the panel off and have a dig i think,are they a common fault? only ever heard of the under dash one failing

James5
04-10-2008, 17:37
nnooooo!

so is it the same as the under dash one?

going to pull the panel off and have a dig i think,are they a common fault? only ever heard of the under dash one failing

No it's not the same as the 1 under the dash it's about 3 times the size:crap:

Matt Cole
04-10-2008, 17:51
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

The one in the rear 1/4 is for the reserve pump activation. The main pump is under the dash. I may stand corrected but i dont think they have anything in relation???

Mr 5
05-10-2008, 12:09
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

The one in the rear 1/4 is for the reserve pump activation. The main pump is under the dash. I may stand corrected but i dont think they have anything in relation???

well after bridgeing the under dash relay and changing the fuel pump it still wouldnt run.then i heard a clicking from the other relay in the 1/4 and the reserve pump started working?:crap: om totally lost now,dont suppose anybody has a spare secondary relay lying around?

Scoff
05-10-2008, 12:32
the reserve relay has nowt to do with the main relay, or pump. the reserve relay is triggered by the level sender which switches the reserve pump on for 30sec or so. Its a special relay with a timer in it and is not the same as the main fuel pump relay.

but, thats not your fault. your fault has nothing to do with the reserve relay. I'm guessing your fuel low lamp is ON on the dashboard ? - this will be why the reserve relay is triggering.

have you tested the pump ?

how are you measuring voltage at the pump ? Is that with the pump still connected ? If so, and your seeing 12v on those wires and the pump is still not turning then the pump is certainly dead.

Mr 5
06-10-2008, 17:00
the reserve relay has nowt to do with the main relay, or pump. the reserve relay is triggered by the level sender which switches the reserve pump on for 30sec or so. Its a special relay with a timer in it and is not the same as the main fuel pump relay.

but, thats not your fault. your fault has nothing to do with the reserve relay. I'm guessing your fuel low lamp is ON on the dashboard ? - this will be why the reserve relay is triggering.

have you tested the pump ?

how are you measuring voltage at the pump ? Is that with the pump still connected ? If so, and your seeing 12v on those wires and the pump is still not turning then the pump is certainly dead.

the low fuel light doesnt illuminate,ever,

when the car died it had over 1/4 tank in it,wasnt even driving it was just sitting idleing, removed the old pump,bridged the fuel pump relay wires under the dash and put a volt meter on the = / - wires to the pump, it read 12v. fitted new pump,tried to start the car and i wouldnt,checked the wires while they were attached to the pump,still 12v.

removed the pump but still had the relay bridged and the reserve pump started,put main pump back on,plugged relay in and now it works?

just want to know what to check/change so it doesnt happen again