PDA

View Full Version : I`ve been done on paypal!

r5 rich
23-01-2010, 13:10
People just to give you a heads up but when I woke up yesterday and checked my emails I had a nice one saying that I had spent 1270 euros on a Nikon camera lense:crap:

Someone had bid and won it on ebay on their account in a different country and hacked my paypal account to pay for the item. Since then I have opened a dispute about the transaction with paypal but they say it can take up to 10 working days before I hear a response:cry:

I have informed the police but to what help this will be I do not know but with anyluck I will hope to see the money again. So the moral of my story is make sure you have extra security procautions in place before you get done:)

tiff_lee
23-01-2010, 13:14
Did the money come from your bank account via paypal?

HULK
23-01-2010, 13:23
I get spoof emails all the time from paypal saying someone has bought something with my money

but if you look at the address that has sent the email its from pavpal with a V

They then send you a link to click on that tells you that you must click on it to sort out the payment or disbute it, when i did it came up as an advertisement for foreign floor tiles.

The lengths people go to :eek::eek::mad:

the only way of being safe is add a card when you use paypal and remove the same card when you have finished:dearme:

r5 rich
23-01-2010, 13:25
Did the money come from your bank account via paypal?

yes it did, I did phone my bank but they said I had to get onto paypal as it was nothing to do with them.

Ricardo
23-01-2010, 13:40
Aaah man you don't have much luck, hope you get it sorted :crap:

tiff_lee
23-01-2010, 13:48
yes it did, I did phone my bank but they said I had to get onto paypal as it was nothing to do with them.
Ok was it via a bank/credit card? visa debit etc or straight from bank account.

r5 rich
23-01-2010, 13:50
Ok was it via a bank/credit card? visa debit etc or straight from bank account.

sorry it was through my debit card linked to my paypal account so the money came straight out of my bank account:mad:

tiff_lee
23-01-2010, 13:57
What debit card is it? please say visa debit

r5 rich
23-01-2010, 14:04
What debit card is it? please say visa debit

Maestro debit:eek:

tiff_lee
23-01-2010, 14:24
Ah damn, I know with visa debit you can do a chargeback and the bank has to honour that but i'm not so sure with maestro.

Scoff
23-01-2010, 14:31
did you contact the person who was selling the goods ? if it's not too late it'll be wise to contact them and ask them not to send the goods to this person. He'll thank you for it, and the scum won't get his goods. win win :)

r5 rich
23-01-2010, 14:33
just got a email back from paypal and they have transfered the money back into my account but it is short by 50 quid prob due to the exchange rate but I will try and fight it and see what happens but I am happy at the moment that I have not been fully had:D

tiff_lee
23-01-2010, 14:44
You might want to scan your pc for malware/keyloggers etc as well as they got your login details somehow

Ricardo
23-01-2010, 14:57
just got a email back from paypal and they have transfered the money back into my account but it is short by 50 quid prob due to the exchange rate but I will try and fight it and see what happens but I am happy at the moment that I have not been fully had:D

:agree: :cool:

Mine's a pint tomorrow :D

Thank god that was sorted fairly quickly :)

r5 rich
23-01-2010, 14:59
:agree: :cool:

Mine's a pint tomorrow :D

Thank god that was sorted fairly quickly :)

well its 2 times i have been done for the sum of around 1300 in around 2 months now.

LOVE IT:crap:

Ricardo
23-01-2010, 14:59
well its 2 times i have been done for the sum of around 1300 in around 2 months now.

LOVE IT:crap:

I know, i couldn't believe it reading this thread earlier :eek:

r5 rich
23-01-2010, 15:10
I know, i couldn't believe it reading this thread earlier :eek:

I love it really, the number must be very lucky for me being 13:eek:

Scoff
23-01-2010, 15:13
did you contact the person who was selling the goods ? if it's not too late it'll be wise to contact them and ask them not to send the goods to this person. He'll thank you for it, and the scum won't get his goods. win win :)

Too late to do this ?

r5 rich
23-01-2010, 15:16
Too late to do this ?

I could not contact the person as they didn`t speak english so paypal have done it for me and taken the money from their account and placed it back into mine:)

tiff_lee
23-01-2010, 15:18
I could not contact the person as they didn`t speak english so paypal have done it for me and taken the money from their account and placed it back into mine:)
So what happened to the £50 exactly? surely if the transaction was reversed you would get it all back.

r5 rich
23-01-2010, 15:38
So what happened to the £50 exactly? surely if the transaction was reversed you would get it all back.

Not sure if it was done on an exchange rate but I am going to follow it up as the full amount that was taken was £1135 and I received back £1085 but can`t touch the money for up to 30 days until the case has been fully resolved and sorted

Tony Walker
23-01-2010, 20:11
You should always pay for internet items with a credit card, offers you much more protection. Dont have your bank card linked. Even if you just buy it with your credit card then pay the full balance straight away you'l be charged no interest (as long as it was a zero balance in the first place) plus it will improve your credit rating.

r5 rich
23-01-2010, 20:16
I`ve always tried to live by my dads mistakes with credit cards and getting into thousands of debts run up on them but I have to be honest I think it is the only thing to go for at the minute and be sensible with it as it can save me alot of problems:)

TrixNFlix
23-01-2010, 20:30
Hi guys, you lot have scared me now, so I've just removed my bank account from my paypal account. My credit card is still linked so If I use paypal to pay for something will the money still come out instantly. I remember years ago having problems with my paypal sending out e cheques that took weeks to clear. :(

Scoff
23-01-2010, 20:43
thats the problem, if you don't have a bank account attached you're in e-cheque teritory I think.

TrixNFlix
23-01-2010, 20:53
thats the problem, if you don't have a bank account attached you're in e-cheque teritory I think.

Feck:(:disagree:

r5 rich
23-01-2010, 22:21
I have a 2nd bank account set up on my online banking so all I am going to do is transfer the details over and have them source the funds from that account which I will only fund when I want to buy items which seems the only way then!

TrixNFlix
23-01-2010, 22:24
I have a 2nd bank account set up on my online banking so all I am going to do is transfer the details over and have them source the funds from that account which I will only fund when I want to buy items which seems the only way then!

Is this our only option? sounds like a ball ache. :scared:

r5 rich
23-01-2010, 22:26
Is this our only option? sounds like a ball ache. :scared:

better then getting done again:laugh:

It will be worth it as it still means I will not have a credit card to my name which alot of my friends have maxed out and to the limit as I am on the verge of getting my 1st property and being 21, being in debt and having a mortage and bills to pay won`t go down well!

TrixNFlix
23-01-2010, 22:38
Fair play Rich, but have you considered getting one to give you a credit history, which in turn can make it easier to get a morgage?

r5 rich
23-01-2010, 22:46
Fair play Rich, but have you considered getting one to give you a credit history, which in turn can make it easier to get a morgage?

My cousin is a mortage adviser and the type of property I will be going for is well in my budget as I have a nice wedge of money saved up already so not a problem:)

TrixNFlix
23-01-2010, 22:54
My cousin is a mortage adviser and the type of property I will be going for is well in my budget as I have a nice wedge of money saved up already so not a problem:)

Good stuff. :agree:

tiff_lee
23-01-2010, 23:26
Bloody hell i'm done then my credit history is a shambles thanks to my 'champagne lifestyle' and irresponsible spending a few years ago.