PDA

View Full Version : Correct Water Pump

J8TRO
20-01-2010, 17:49
Just changing the water pump on my 5, nothing wrong with the old one, just looked tatty, just about to fit the new one and realised the belt wheel is totally different, my old one is a single deep grove (see left of photo) and the new one is wide with several groves (about to be bolted on the right of the photo).

I presume its wrong and will cry when someone confirms.............:cry:

Unless i have some new improved one? :confused: (yeah right)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/j8tro/P1200026.jpg

Brigsy
20-01-2010, 17:59
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but its the wrong pump:wasntme:

It would work with an alternator/bottom pulley to match but its not worth the hassle.

Pulley is interference fit so no straightforward changing!

J8TRO
20-01-2010, 18:05
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but its the wrong pump:wasntme:

It would work with an alternator/bottom pulley to match but its not worth the hassle.

Pulley is interference fit so no straightforward changing!

:cry: :scratch: on the good side at least now i know how to change a pump, also as there is nothing wrong with the one on there i can just get the wire brushes on it and it will look 10 x better than it did.

Out of interest are the cardboard gaskets sufficient, or should i use a mastic of some sort to when putting it back on?

Thanks Brigsy....... im going to have a cuppa first :coffee:

Spooky
20-01-2010, 18:09
Yea, thats wrong :D :agree:

Brigsy
20-01-2010, 18:11
The std cardboard gasket is fine matey, just make sure the mating faces are nice & clean of old gasket.

If your after a pump search on ebay mate, ive bought a few n.o.s for under a tenner;)

J8TRO
20-01-2010, 18:26
The std cardboard gasket is fine matey, just make sure the mating faces are nice & clean of old gasket.

If your after a pump search on ebay mate, ive bought a few n.o.s for under a tenner;)

don't............i bought this one off ebay in the summer for £4.99 advertised as a GT pump and rubbed it in my mates face.............he's gonna piss his pants when he reads this!

£4.99 is not too bad for 2 pieces of cardboard!

Any idea what the one i have is off?

J$£5GTT
20-01-2010, 18:55
don't............i bought this one off ebay in the summer for £4.99 advertised as a GT pump and rubbed it in my mates face.............he's gonna piss his pants when he reads this!

£4.99 is not too bad for 2 pieces of cardboard!

Any idea what the one i have is off?

looks like a quinton hazell pump...off a renault express??

:)

J8TRO
20-01-2010, 20:27
looks like a quinton hazell pump...off a renault express??

:)

Looks like a waste of money :sad2:

However the original one is back on now and looks loads better, plus ive managed to get my manifold and turbo on, next is to make my carb brackets and a few others look a bit better, as well as my rocker cover.

Any ideas from a DIY spraying point of view on types of paint?

Kris M
20-01-2010, 21:38
get the brackets re, zink plated mate...Not particulally expensive and gives you that nice O.E look :), will last for years aswell

J8TRO
20-01-2010, 21:45
get the brackets re, zink plated mate...Not particulally expensive and gives you that nice O.E look :), will last for years aswell

Kris old buddy old pal, where would I get that done? I'm guessing I google local zinc platers? what about my rocker cover?

http://www.birmingham-plating.co.uk/

Nayls
20-01-2010, 22:02
why dont you split the pump? & switch the two halves?

or did you only get the half pump?

J8TRO
20-01-2010, 22:04
why dont you split the pump? & switch the two halves?

or did you only get the half pump?

Only bought half.......:dearme:

Kris M
20-01-2010, 22:24
Kris old buddy old pal, where would I get that done? I'm guessing I google local zinc platers? what about my rocker cover?

http://www.birmingham-plating.co.uk/

yeah a local platers will do this for afew £ mate, not that expensive. Speak to people like big steve and Raj, i know they have both had alot of stuff re plated. As for rocker cover, you could spray it yourself or get it powdercoated for a better / longer lasting finish :)