PDA

View Full Version : Turbo problem and vaccum leak...

Bass J
16-01-2010, 18:23
Hi folks ...seriously getting sick of turbochargers ...to the point im thinking of scrapping my clio :(.

What it is ..my old unit ..is fooked ...smoking like hell out the exhaust ..fitted a replacement one turbo technics one to be exact (wasnt new ..but looked new lol) ....and its still smoking ...is it possible there could still be oil in my exhaust ..or is the replacement turbo fooked?

I also have a vaccum leak somewhere ...cant seem to locate it ...engine keeps cutting out ..before thinking it was a vaccum leak i refurbed the carb thinking it was the carb ...turned out it wasnt ...whats the best way to test for vaccum leaks?

I just want a car i can jump in and drive when i want to ..not been able to do that since FCS 09 :( its sat with an MOT till june and all ive been having is problems .

If someone is willing to help me out and come over to mine and sort it ..i will give them monies for their troubles.

Cheers :(

TrixNFlix
16-01-2010, 18:31
Yes could still be oil in the exhaust. Take it for a blast to see if it clears. Also you seem to be running the cup mod, have you put your actuator to manifold hose back on the port nearest the rad. Put it on the back and it smokes like mad.

Bass J
16-01-2010, 18:34
Nah the hose is from the carb to the actuator ..then ..all i have at the back of the manifold is the brake servo hose ..then another hose to with a bolt in it to blank it.

Hope this helps

TrixNFlix
16-01-2010, 18:37
To check for leaks you need to pressurise the boost circuit. You do this by taking the air filter of and creating a bung that fits in it's place. In the bung you need to drill a hole to fit a tyre valve in.You can then use a Little air compressor for pressurising the system. Put a couple more psi in the system than what your turbo is running and listen for leaks.

TrixNFlix
16-01-2010, 18:39
So you just have one actuator port not two?

Bass J
16-01-2010, 18:39
lol any other ideas on how to test it? lol ...i dont have the stuff lying about to do that ..i only have weekends off to work on it ..as i work during the week also :).

Bass J
16-01-2010, 18:41
i have two ports ..i use the first port closest to the radiator and leave the other one with nothing.

TrixNFlix
16-01-2010, 18:43
i have two ports ..i use the first port closest to the radiator and leave the other one with nothing.
:agree:

Just get it up to temp then take it for a blast. Took ages for me to get rid of oil and coolant in the exhaust after a headgasket change, with it just idleing on the drive.

Bass J
16-01-2010, 18:45
niceone mate ..thats kinda cheered me up now :) ...i was kicking the car i was that annoyed :laugh::laugh:. Vaccum leak wise ...i dunno what to do :scratch:

TrixNFlix
16-01-2010, 18:53
Bonnet off, a mate you don't realy like strappedto the front of your Clio, rag it and make him check for leaks while your give it death on the motorway. :laugh:
seriously your gona struggle to find it without pressure, and you won't be able to create enough just reving it on the drive. Could just tidy up you pipework and look for more obvious places of air leaks, like bolts used as a quick fix blockage! :p

Bass J
16-01-2010, 18:55
LOL i do have a mate that would do that aswell :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: .

But i will check every single pipe and block places with bolts 2mora :) ..then fit a seat and speedo ..and take it a wee drive ...obv let it warm up first :smokin:

TrixNFlix
16-01-2010, 19:00
You could make something up in a weekend to pressurise the boost run. Find the Internal diamenter of the hose that you filter is attached to. Then go to a super Market with your ruler and find a tin or coffee jar top with the same measurements. Drill a hole in it a purchase a tyre valve from your local tyre fitters. Pop the valve in with a bit of silicone or no more nails and fit it back in were your filter was and tighten the jubilee clip back round. Pump away, listen for leaks, job done. :agree:

Bass J
16-01-2010, 19:03
Sounds like an idea! ....ill try bish bash bosh something up :D

Cheers mate for the advice :)

TrixNFlix
16-01-2010, 19:07
Would be alot easier for you Robert, to use a cigarette lighter tyre pump jobbie that has a gauge on it so you can see if the pressure is going down, and caus you will struggle with a bike pump! :cooter:

Bass J
16-01-2010, 19:10
haha cheers ...im guessing my name is in my profile :laugh: ...i have a cigarette lighter pump sat in my room at the mo :) ...but the bike pump would be funny as hell :laugh:.

TrixNFlix
16-01-2010, 19:14
haha cheers ...im guessing my name is in my profile :laugh: ...i have a cigarette lighter pump sat in my room at the mo :) ...but the bike pump would be funny as hell :laugh:.

Ya:agree:
maybe you should try it first with a bike pump with that mate your not keen on, see how long it takes him to pressurise it. :eek:

Bass J
16-01-2010, 19:21
its not that i aint keen on him ...one of my good pals actually ..its just something he'd do for a laugh :laugh::laugh:. anyways ...ill try what you said 2mora and ill report back :coffee:.

Cheers :cool:

Bass J
17-01-2010, 16:01
Just drove it ...turbo's ****ed ..smokey as fook ..drove it a good 15mins.

But ....that turbo technics stage one turbocharger sure does kick!! ..so im currently e-mailing them about a refurb :smokin:

vaccum leaks sorted aswell ....forgot to blank the other two ports on the manifolds:laugh::laugh::laugh:

TrixNFlix
17-01-2010, 16:07
Just drove it ...turbo's ****ed ..smokey as fook ..drove it a good 15mins.

But ....that turbo technics stage one turbocharger sure does kick!! ..so im currently e-mailing them about a refurb :smokin:

vaccum leaks sorted aswell ....forgot to blank the other two ports on the manifolds:laugh::laugh::laugh:

The ports on the back of the inlet manifold?

Bass J
17-01-2010, 16:11
aye i think they are water ports lol ..blocked them anyways :)

TrixNFlix
17-01-2010, 16:27
aye i think they are water ports lol ..blocked them anyways :)

so, are you saying after you blocked these ports, your air leak stopped?

Bass J
17-01-2010, 16:37
well it ran properly after i blocked these :) ...revs dropped a lot when braking ..i recon my brake servo's leaking ..ill be getting that sorted when i can be bothered :laugh:.

TrixNFlix
17-01-2010, 16:40
well it ran properly after i blocked these :) ...revs dropped a lot when braking ..i recon my brake servo's leaking ..ill be getting that sorted when i can be bothered :laugh:.

well that must mean the inlet mani is cracked. might not be the brake servo, might just be a knackered one way valve, or you might just need to clean the valve.

Bass J
17-01-2010, 16:47
I was talking to someone off here ..cant remember ..they said to take the valve out and test it ....i have a spare manifold sat in my garage anyway ...i may replace the valve actually :)