PDA

View Full Version : volvo b18ft engine help

raj
03-10-2008, 20:39
this is regarding a car im thinking of buying.

owner states - the car was running well but started to run a little rough in slower speeds and at idle. [what would this point to?]

One morning he couldn't get it started and tried for several days with no luck,
When you turn the ignition key, the engine will turn over and it sounds like it wants to start but doesn't.

Any suggestions..????
without seeing it im thinking fuel pump? relay? or maybe as simple as ht leads? sparkplugs?

raj
04-10-2008, 12:47
pls folks, any suggestions?

paul b
04-10-2008, 12:50
these were common for blowing ECU's if you selected reverse with the wipers on...the rear wiper shorted direct to the loom and feeding the earth to the ECU.....

this gave that exact symptom , seems like an immobiliser fault as the ECU will not power up the ignition side...

just a thought....

raj
04-10-2008, 13:04
these were common for blowing ECU's if you selected reverse with the wipers on...the rear wiper shorted direct to the loom and feeding the earth to the ECU.....

this gave that exact symptom , seems like an immobiliser fault as the ECU will not power up the ignition side...

just a thought....

so that would rule out the ecu then? as it still wants to turn over just not fire up! plus the fact that the 460's dont have rear wipers.

do the 460's have immobilisers as std.? does sound like an immobiliser issue but i just want to explore all possibilities :agree:

Scoff
04-10-2008, 13:19
you need to do some diagnosis :

the volvo ecu has 2 relays in its loom, and a block of associated fuses. Honestly, I don't know where these live in the volvo since I've only ever worked on these looms fitted into R5's.

Find the relays. When ignition is switched on the 1st relay should click on also. When you crank the engine the 2nd relay (fuel pump and injector power) should click on also.

If these are working as they should then the ECU is probably OK.

Fault is more likely to be a duff air flow meter or something really silly like an air leak after the air flow meter, so check for splits in pipes, too and from the turbo, etc.

raj
04-10-2008, 15:14
ok thanks,

so as a check list ive got -

system relay
fuel pump relay
air flow meter
throttle valve switch?
fuses
ht leads
spark plugs
also wouldnt the engine fire up but idle really bad even if the air flow meter was buggered.?

Scoff
04-10-2008, 16:09
ok thanks,

so as a check list ive got -

system relay
fuel pump relay
air flow meter
throttle valve switch?
fuses
ht leads
spark plugs
also wouldnt the engine fire up but idle really bad even if the air flow meter was buggered.?

not always. if you suspect the afm then unplug it, the engine will run and idle without it, just about.

raj
07-10-2008, 21:13
was wondering.. is it possible to bypass/overide the relays..?:confused: for a temporary fix.?

raj
08-10-2008, 10:29
also to add to the above questions- where is the fuel pump located on the volvo's.? is it under the bonnet.?

Tiny Tim
08-10-2008, 10:33
also to add to the above questions- where is the fuel pump located on the volvo's.? is it under the bonnet.?

I'd fecking hope not :crap:

raj
08-10-2008, 10:44
I'd fecking hope not :crap:
lol, im sure i read in a haynes manual[which i havent got to hand] that its under the bonnet:scared: feck knows.

rogerreno
08-10-2008, 21:00
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I'd also check the TDC sensor..don't forget its a Renault powerplant with Renix tpe ignition system....make sure you got a spark when cranking...

raj
08-10-2008, 21:27
hmm, ive also just found out that when the key is turned..it tries to fire up but cant and and the same time it will backfire intermittedly.
so with it backfiring im assuming that there is actually a spark?? but something is causing not to fire up 100%.??
would this maybe point to anything in particular.?

Scoff
08-10-2008, 21:56
not enough info raj - still need to know if the relays are doing there thing.

or, stab in the dark, could be really simple, maybe the ht leads are on wrong :)

raj
08-10-2008, 23:23
not enough info raj - still need to know if the relays are doing there thing.

or, stab in the dark, could be really simple, maybe the ht leads are on wrong :)
i know what you mean scoff, its annoying as the cars not local to me.

whats the firing order on the b18ft.?

also is it possible to bridge the fuel pump relay.?

Sparkie
08-10-2008, 23:35
whats the firing order on the b18ft.?

i'd hazard a guess at 1-3-4-2......

Scoff
09-10-2008, 00:55
bridging the relay is only any use if the relay is faulty. if the ecu isn't switching the relay on then it still won't run with the relay bridged. besides, if it coughs up then the pump relay must be comming on for atleast some ammount of time else it wouldn't try to fire.

if you were at the car you should be checking for:

ht lead positions
good fuel pressure
regular spark

btw, to roughly check an efi fuel pressure I just fetch the pipe off the rail, put my thumb over the pipe to see if I can stop the fuel flow when the engine is cranked. if you have 3 bar of fuel you won't be able to stop it with your thumb! if you can then you don't have 3 bar, so something wrong with the fuel supply.

raj
09-10-2008, 19:15
ok, the seller has emailed me after i told him how to check for a spark.
he tells me he tried getting a spark by taking a lead off a plug and turning the engine over with no luck and also from the coil itself! and was unsuccessful.
suppose this points to a duff coil?

WADDIE
09-10-2008, 20:08

the few things i tryed when this happened to me was ....fuel pump relay make sure it clicks when you turn the ignition on...do this 1st!!

then i try'd another coil...then try'd afm....then found out that it was a main red wire from the volvo wiring loom had come off the alternator!! if the afm is knackard you can tell when the engine's running if you unplug it it will dip in revs..you will be able to hear it... is it a standard car 440/460/480?/ standard engine?

raj
09-10-2008, 20:17

the few things i tryed when this happened to me was ....fuel pump relay make sure it clicks when you turn the ignition on...do this 1st!!

then i try'd another coil...then try'd afm....then found out that it was a main red wire from the volvo wiring loom had come off the alternator!! if the afm is knackard you can tell when the engine's running if you unplug it it will dip in revs..you will be able to hear it... is it a standard car 440/460/480?/ standard engine?

yes mate, its a std b18ft engine. whats an afm?:confused: cant be the alternator as it doesnt start even when the battery if fully charged and there is no spark coming from the coil itself!. this could only point to a duff coil right?

Scoff
09-10-2008, 20:41
not likely a duff coil, more likely the ecu isn't seeing the crank signal (tdc) or there is no power where there should be power.

like above, you really need to know what those 2 relays are doing, it tells you a lot :)

raj
09-10-2008, 20:54
sod it, i may aswell buy the damn thing and then go from there :rolleyes:

tdc! easy to do, i hope it is something simple! just tried looking up a tdc for the b18ft abd ecp or gsf come up with nothing:rolleyes:

while on the subject who is that does the ecu upgrade on these.? what benefits will i see?
also what size turbos do folks fit as an absolute maximum size with this engine.?

raj
10-10-2008, 21:03
i bought it.! its not to everyones taste but its my "turbobrick" :D

it in mint condition apart from the stated fault, 2 owners from new.

think i'll keep it as it is "a sleeper" and tweek the engine in situ as it'll be cheaper.
not collecting it for another week.

raj
10-10-2008, 21:04

Adey aka Ewok
10-10-2008, 21:20
sweet deck it out and boost it up, uber pimp street sleeper

Tiny Tim
10-10-2008, 21:29
Its disgustingly square and cube'y'

I LOVE IT :cool:

raj
10-10-2008, 21:31
sweet deck it out and boost it up, uber pimp street sleeper

dont know about decking it out! but a boost up yes. possibly an ecu mod [not richmod], but first thing is to investigate the problem of not firing up. im really hoping its a cheap fix.
suppose it will never be as quick as if the engine was in the 5, but thats a future project.:) still....its something retro :agree:

raj
10-10-2008, 21:39
Its disgustingly square and cube'y'

I LOVE IT :cool:

lol apart from the engine thats actually one of the reasons i bought it.:D

cant knock it really:)

Scoff
10-10-2008, 21:52
bargain! looks very tidy mate.

Kraig
10-10-2008, 23:35
Very tidy! I think you may have a bargain there!:)

raj
11-10-2008, 15:01
can anyone tell me if the tdc sensor from a clio/19 16v is the same as the volvos?

alex-r5
11-10-2008, 18:05
can you get more boost(20 psi) through the standard ecu or do you have to have new managment? either way what kind of cost ar you looking at:)

Scoff
12-10-2008, 19:03
I've uploaded some of the volvo wiring diagrams I had, might help you out raj.

http://www.rtoc.org/files/index.php?path=Technical%20Files/Wiring%20diagrams/

Scoff
12-10-2008, 19:04
raj, same TDC sensor yes, possibly a different connector though.

alex, you can, the ECU's I do remove the limit completely. You need suitable injectors, cooling, turbo and so on, the standard injectors and turbo max out at about 14psi.

dave j gtt
12-10-2008, 20:40
this could also be moved to tech discussion ;)

raj
12-10-2008, 21:47
I've uploaded some of the volvo wiring diagrams I had, might help you out raj.

http://www.rtoc.org/files/index.php?path=Technical%20Files/Wiring%20diagrams/

great stuff :agree:

but one question... how do i know what is what in the diagrams :confused:

Scoff
12-10-2008, 23:37
good point raj, I remember what the objects are, its only ever the pin numbers I don't remember.

but, the ignition and perminant live wiring, relay wiring, etc is all plain reading.

the 2 relays you see in the diagrams are fuel pump (and injector power) relay and ECU 'on' relay.