PDA

View Full Version : manual in car boost

ollyhock
03-10-2008, 17:28
ive bought an in car manual boost adjuster off ebay, but somebody has said that if i fit it it will automatically increase the boost because ive caused a restriction fitting it, is this true?
the car is running 14psi will this increase if i fit it?

Ross99
03-10-2008, 17:44
lol mines gone mental but think my cars haunted, not sure of the way it really works but it allows you to turn in up and down but before you go making your car 300bhp for 2 minutes then bang, get the supporting mods to allow for the increase.

also make sure you fit it properly, mine is but cars gone nuts, you can also wind up your actuator a little for some easy boost.

take it you have a boost gauge? if not you'll need one to see what your running when it goes up and down etc.

i also have the t2/25 like you and mine is running .9 at carb base i dont know what that relates to at carb top but its made my car fight for grip and me have white knuckles holding on. SO i have a feeling something is badly amiss

ollyhock
03-10-2008, 18:04
yeah i dont want to do anything silly and have a melt down:cry:
i was hoping to be able to turn the boost down from 14psi if necesarry and then back up when i needed it, will the manual boost adjuster acheive this?

minty83
03-10-2008, 18:28
got a spider valve for sale 30quid, i would use 1 with an in car boost controller so you dont turn it up to farbrickwall

Sy5GTT
03-10-2008, 18:36
got a spider valve for sale 30quid, i would use 1 with an in car boost controller so you dont turn it up to farbrickwall

30 quid?????:mad:

Just sold one on e-bay for £10.50. The guy hasn't paid me yet so may sell it again with a higher starting price. :laugh:

minty83
03-10-2008, 18:39
30 quid?????:mad:

Just sold one on e-bay for £10.50. The guy hasn't paid me yet so may sell it again with a higher starting price. :laugh:
thats 30 delivered:) i payed more when i bought it;)

Brigsy
03-10-2008, 19:37
Don't bother fitting that olly, you definitely don't want any more boost with your current turbo/engine setup. The boost will only go up not down, your actuator is running the minimum psi it possibly can;)

ollyhock
03-10-2008, 21:01
hey brigsy whats the answer ,iwant to use the power from time to time but im afraid ill pop the engine, if i buy a double capacity intercooler will that help?

Ross99
03-10-2008, 21:14
has your carb been jetted? and do you yhave a thicker head gasket and bolts?

also strap your exsisting intercooler to go over 15psi

ollyhock
03-10-2008, 21:17
has your carb been jetted? and do you yhave a thicker head gasket and bolts?

also strap your exsisting intercooler to go over 15psi

yeah its got a thicker head gasket and bolts,

am i better to strap the original or buy an alloy one?

ollyhock
03-10-2008, 21:18
yeah its got a thicker head gasket and bolts,

am i better to strap the original or buy an alloy one?

the car does feel quite rapid, i dont think its standard it only had one owner but, an rtoc member checked it out and its running 14psi carb top, not sure if carb has been jetted

Ross99
03-10-2008, 22:45
well from advice on hear i've been told to get carb jetted with 130 main jet and a .9 air corrector, also get an air fuel ration meter to check fuelling, your intercooler will either need to be strapped for over 15psi or go alloy if you want i did, or better still front mount, and then take the boost up a little, thats what i'm in the process of doing.

ollyhock
03-10-2008, 22:56
cheers ross, im still finding my feet with my gtt and any advice is appreciated.
im just paranoid ill make it go pop if i hoof it too much, im no boy racer but its nice to give it some every now and again without worrying about it.

Ross99
03-10-2008, 22:58
hell i'm no boy racer but i oftern thrash the living pants out of mine just to wake myself up as its scary at the moment, i'm a new boy to but thanks to the vast knowledge on here i think i'm getting there very slowly, got any pics of your car dude?

Shane P
03-10-2008, 23:08
As long as the ignition and cooling is 100%, give it regular oil changes and keep the egine bay clean so you can spot leaks easy then it shouldnt go pop.

I have a standard head gasket and bolts, a GT Tuning intercooler, uprated fuel pump, a T25 and the fueling to match. It runs 20psi at the manifold all day long :)

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o441/Chimp2k/Parts/DSC00169.jpg

ollyhock
03-10-2008, 23:15
hell i'm no boy racer but i oftern thrash the living pants out of mine just to wake myself up as its scary at the moment, i'm a new boy to but thanks to the vast knowledge on here i think i'm getting there very slowly, got any pics of your car dude?

ill take some pics in the morning, i searched the length and bredth of the country for a 5 and got this ine 58k original fsh, untouched its mint inside and out ,drives like a new car.
i should probably leave it totally standard, but what the hell they were invented to be driven wernt they?

ollyhock
03-10-2008, 23:17
As long as the ignition and cooling is 100%, give it regular oil changes and keep the egine bay clean so you can spot leaks easy then it shouldnt go pop.

I have a standard head gasket and bolts, a GT Tuning intercooler, uprated fuel pump, a T25 and the fueling to match. It runs 20psi at the manifold all day long :)

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o441/Chimp2k/Parts/DSC00169.jpg
my fuel pump is quite noisey, id doesnt seem toflicker if i hoof the car, boy it motors, ive got a 170bhp colt turbo and it burries that to 100mph

Brigsy
03-10-2008, 23:45
hey brigsy whats the answer ,iwant to use the power from time to time but im afraid ill pop the engine, if i buy a double capacity intercooler will that help?

You would be pushing it on the standard turbo raising the boost any higher than it is now mate. If you want more power you want to be looking at fitting a different turbo, intercooler & jetting the carb to suit with a wideband afr gauge.

ollyhock
03-10-2008, 23:50
am i safe with the set up as it is, immore than happy with the performance if the car stays this way and doesnt f**k up

Brigsy
03-10-2008, 23:53
Just strap the intercooler with a jubilee clip to make sure the top doesnt pop off. It should be reliable enough on the current setup:)

Chuck that bleed valve in the bin though, fitting that & upping the boost more you will be asking for trouble imo.

ollyhock
03-10-2008, 23:57
Just strap the intercooler with a jubilee clip to make sure the top doesnt pop off. It should be reliable enough on the current setup:)

Chuck that bleed valve in the bin though, fitting that & upping the boost more you will be asking for trouble imo.

your advice is always appreciated ,im still finding my feet with the car , i dont want to learn the hard way

Ross99
04-10-2008, 00:07
dont bin it mate just get the supporting mods to cope with the hike and dont hike it to much.

20 psi at the manifold on a standard engine your lucky, i poop my seolf at the thought of running a bar and i'm uprated surly it can only cope with so much before bang bang time, and its worth either turning it down or protecting as best you can?

ollyhock
04-10-2008, 00:13
yeah itsjust so tempting to give the pedal a tickle!
and teach these new hot hatches

speak tommorrow ill load some picks up

Sy5GTT
04-10-2008, 09:17
I used to use bleed valves and "in car" adjusters. I've got through 2 engines in 2 years. I now adjust on the actuator and leave it alone. You'll have a job getting the fuelling right for 2 different boost settings ie minimum and maximum. I run 14-15psi on a standard carb with the 2nd stage drilled to 1.3mm and so far so good. :)

jesus in the seat of a 5
04-10-2008, 09:21
I used to use bleed valves and "in car" adjusters. I've got through 2 engines in 2 years. I now adjust on the actuator and leave it alone. You'll have a job getting the fuelling right for 2 different boost settings ie minimum and maximum. I run 14-15psi on a standard carb with the 2nd stage drilled to 1.3mm and so far so good. :)

here , here , they dont call it..."the wheel of death" for nothing you know....:laugh:, set it up on the actuator , use an Lm1 if you can borrow/buy one, if not keep her as she is.....running...:)

ollyhock
04-10-2008, 11:43
yeah your probably right, it aint broke and its quick enough for me. i intend keeping the car for years too come so ill just get it looking right

dave j gtt
04-10-2008, 15:17
have a read of this jumble to understand what i have learnt since being member of RTOC
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=1261 (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=1261)

;) what i will say is if you set you actuator to a min boost pressure and the use the bleed valve "boost controller" to up you boost a little.

first you want to run you car without the bleed valve and see what the max boost is ;)

then say it boosts to 14psi you want to slacken the actuator and have less pre tension to run less boost.

then you can plumb the boost controller in to bleed air off to raise the boost back up to 14 psi :)

Brigsy
04-10-2008, 17:29
Ollys actuator will hold a minimum of 14 psi.

As Jesus said bleed valves are like the wheel of death, a crap way of tuning a gtt really. Whats the point in running 10 psi if the carbs jetted up for 15 anyway;)

ollyhock
04-10-2008, 17:32
dave ive not plumbed in the bleed valve yet so rtoc member brigsy tested my car and said it was 14 psi boost, as far as im aware its totally standard apart from new head gasket and bolts and possibly hybrid t2
im probably just being a tart wanting to f**k about with a twisty knob inside the car

dave j gtt
04-10-2008, 20:23
Ollys actuator will hold a minimum of 14 psi.

As Jesus said bleed valves are like the wheel of death, a crap way of tuning a gtt really. Whats the point in running 10 psi if the carbs jetted up for 15 anyway;)

thats what i belive ;) setup and leave alone, service regular :D .

dave j gtt
04-10-2008, 20:28
dave ive not plumbed in the bleed valve yet so rtoc member brigsy tested my car and said it was 14 psi boost, as far as im aware its totally standard apart from new head gasket and bolts and possibly hybrid t2
im probably just being a tart wanting to f**k about with a twisty knob inside the car

hahaha quality that last bit about wanting to turn knob thingy :laugh: think thats half it, wanting to more that just drive ;)

mate got a nissan gtir pulsar with this greedy turbo dazzler haha and all he dose is play with it stage 1 ,3 ,5 ,7 ,9 bollecks full boost lanch control then gets in a muddle and saxo flys by :laugh: