PDA

View Full Version : about grited and saulted roads in north east

dave j gtt
10-01-2010, 13:36
Heard somthing about there being an import of salt from germany,
That they had ban :eek:

Heard it of some form of - daily news on telly.

Just sharing, someone might care to reseach it, it may be real bad for rusting car's :(

regards dave

dave j gtt
10-01-2010, 13:50
just seen it saying then on sky news about imported from germany, didnt say out being ban now tho.

i seen it about three days ago, and they clearly said there getting it to try help with the big freeze

just worth noting if cars start getting major rot from aggressive salt:crap:

jonnyshaw49
10-01-2010, 18:17
most of the salt is coming from egypt now!!!!!

markey b
10-01-2010, 18:29
i'm going to take the skirts off my raider in the spring... i'm not expecting there to be much sill left :(

dave j gtt
11-01-2010, 10:47
this is serious :confused: I mean if the german's rekon its bad salt and they dont want it on there roads, why we getting it :sad2:

Trevhib
11-01-2010, 11:03
If it's somehow more aggressive than normal road salt is on your car (not much room for scope there, come on), then the govt will probably have made the call based on the fact that it costs the economy far more overall to have the UK roads blocked than it does to subject our cars to a week's worth of the stuff. Probably only a problem if you have a French car that's over 15 years old. Oh, erm...

If there's a genuine problem I'd say it's more likely to be environmentally based.

dave j gtt
11-01-2010, 11:23
I was meerly informing north east memberswho care about there car.

german's build car's not to rust! they also try to elimanate the causes, one being rock salt is bad, but no where near as bad as this stuff they once used in the cold months years ago :( why do you think it was just left in a big pile , with no us untill some other idiot in this country decides ,lets buy this cheap it will do :cool:

Trevhib
11-01-2010, 12:47
Fair enough mate. Just don't scare people about 'major rot' if you don't know if or why the stuff was actually banned.

Maybe the German salt is less dangerous to cars but eats the roads? Or perhaps more dangerous to people but less disasterous to your car's bodywork than the usual fare. Do we know?

Andrew Cooke
11-01-2010, 13:12
The guys who race on the Bonneville Salt flats call it Bonneville Loctite, they spend a lot of time before and after racing trying to get salt out of everwhere or the car will be scrap before it runs again.

Brigsy
11-01-2010, 13:21
Cars rot like feck here anyway, mine are both in the garage until it fairs up. The daily driver can fall to bits:D

Trevhib
11-01-2010, 13:32
The guys who race on the Bonneville Salt flats call it Bonneville Loctite, they spend a lot of time before and after racing trying to get salt out of everwhere or the car will be scrap before it runs again.

Is the stuff coming from Germany that of the Bonneville Andy and does that differ in any way from the type we already put on the road? Just wondered.

clee
11-01-2010, 14:17
I wouldn't stress about it too much .... Saxa more aggressive than that German stuff ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8450417.stm

They might run out in the chippy though :scared: