PDA

View Full Version : water leak

Smokey
09-01-2010, 15:17
somewhere im loosing water gradually, i have to keep topping it up weekly with about 300ml of water any ideas to what it is, im guessing a slight hole in one of the hoses but can not really see any leaks as its only gradual.

Are there any easy ways/tricks to identify the leaking hose be it that it is that or am i going to just hav to strip the hosses off and check.

Thanks

TrixNFlix
09-01-2010, 15:20
So many different places. Does it leave any marks on the ground under the car? Have you checked to see if your carpet is wet, as the heater matrix is known to fail alot.

Smokey
09-01-2010, 15:28
it doesnt leave a wet patch on the ground and the carpets arent wet anywer. As for the heater matrix i dont know, i dont realy know wat the heater matrix is in all honesty bit new to the game as u can probly tell. but i wana get this sorted asap.

Thanks

TrixNFlix
09-01-2010, 15:35
The heater matrix is what heats ip the air for you dash heaters. It's located behind the dash. You can see two coolant pipes going into the bulkhead, in the engine bay, behind the turbo. Could be the lower rad to water pump hose , as the after Market hoses are a bit of a bad fit, normaly being slightly too long resulting in a kink and resting at a funny angle on the rad outlet.

Brigsy
09-01-2010, 15:42
Pressurise the system mate, it will reveal all leaks.

Get an old header tank cap, remove the top part & fit a new car valve in the hole. Use a footpump & pump up the system to 15psi & the leak will gush out:wasntme:

Spooky
09-01-2010, 15:43
Pressurise the system mate, it will reveal all leaks.

Get an old header tank cap, remove the top part & fit a new car valve in the hole. Use a footpump & pump up the system to 15psi & the leak will gush out:wasntme:

PMT FTW :agree: :smokin:

Smokey
10-01-2010, 13:33
if it was the heater matrix that had gone wat are the tell tail signs and y wud it be this as it heats the car up does it leak water.

wats the cost of a new one and are they difficult to fit.

Thanks

Kris M
10-01-2010, 13:35
Water in the footwells in a sign

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4719

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4720

:)

Smokey
10-01-2010, 13:58
having a quick read through that im glad an confident it isnt the heater matrix as i have no leaks wat so ever in the car, carpets are dry as bone.
So looks like im going to have to hunt for a split pipe and that should be the problem solved.

Jimmy_GTT
10-01-2010, 17:45
I'm not so sure. You'd better pressure test the heater matrix.

My friends phase I has the same problem what you have written. Only 100-200ml of water is missing / week. No drop under tha car.
The only thing what I have found is sometimes you can feel the smell of the coolant. Only for some seconds not all the time. And the carpets are dry. :crap:

Ricardo
10-01-2010, 18:33
Definitely pressurise the system, you could have done this by now and found out where the leak is :)

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the bottom copper washer on the turbo, it also might be an old hose where the jubilee clips been done up so many times and cut into the hose, Some hoses are now over 10 years old. It could be a small leak in the rad..... Pressuriiiiise! :D

Smokey
10-01-2010, 18:34
but i arent getting the coolent smell at all, just another one of the jobs iv gotta get sorted there seems to be so many little nigely problems which im not used to having as my other car was so reliable. o the joys of owning a 5

Ricardo
10-01-2010, 18:58
Forget the coolant smell! PMT an expansion cap with an innertube valve and pump the system up, a 2minute job which will give you the answer :)

Smokey
10-01-2010, 19:25
ok point taken, im not using the car much in this weather so not in a stupid rush but hopefully av a look next weekend as the dark nights wont help.

ow is it im to attach the bike pump to the cap to allow me to build up the pressure and should the leak be easily vissible.

Thanks

Ricardo
10-01-2010, 19:33
Cool beans :)

Just screw the PMT expansion cap on and use a foot pump, big biceps and pump with your hands, i can't imagine it being too hard :D

Smokey
10-01-2010, 19:40
am i just being dumb but wats PMT isnt that women related.lol and also ow do i attacth it the pump av u used this method your self.

Ricardo
10-01-2010, 20:33
Get a spare expansion cap
Cut a valve off and old bike innertube
Drill a hole the same diameter as the bike valve in the cap
Check the valve pushes through the hole
Glue the valve obviously making sure the valve points out the top!
The glue's set so screw the cap on the expansion tank

Smokey
10-01-2010, 20:39
cheers,, i will give it ago the weekend and get the materials in the week some time.
i will post back up and let you know how i got on.

Thanks

old skool turbo power
11-01-2010, 20:45
id have a good guess that if you are losin water but u can see no signs of a leak the core of the rad could be knackard.id guess the water will be comin out of the sides of the rad nothin major but u will lose water and signs of water temp will rise.:eek:no leak will be shown because the rad will be hot and as the water leaks theres a good chance it will evaporate so you will be :scratch:on where is coming from i had a simmilar prob.and make sure the bottom hose from water pump to bottom outlet is in good condtion it can cause a grove from the heat of the engine as it sits on the guard rail,ive also noticed.good luck pal hope it helps :)