PDA

View Full Version : Slicks anyone..

minty83
03-10-2008, 11:08
since getting back from mallory iv been trying to sort my self some slicks.. in 15":sad2: only set iv found so far is some dunlop slicks but there 182+vat per corner found from tweeks, this site tho which may benefit someone
http://www.sticky-slicks.co.uk/:agree:
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh154/minty_83_photos/CIMG0732.jpg
My r888 2weeks after purchase:ashamed: approx 300 road miles and 1hr 20 at mallory

c7borg
03-10-2008, 11:11
yikes how much were your R888's?

paul b
03-10-2008, 11:12
are they super soft R888's......

mine are fine matey boy, plenty more left on my GG's......

minty83
03-10-2008, 11:17
not super soft but soft:ashamed: ordered the wrong codebrickwall but still want something which will last longer than the toyo had mediums and after 20 minutes at the FCS they were doing the same sort of thing

minty83
03-10-2008, 11:18
yikes how much were your R888's?
think i got them for 300 fitted in the end:crap:... thanks for the video andrew:agree:

paul b
03-10-2008, 11:23
the tyre rippling around the cuts is perfectly normal.....takes a good drive home to remove them and then they are like new again on mine.....

the rippling is how the tyre pattern moves under cornering, its where the grip comes from and are not far behind slicks but a fraction of the price and road legal....

i get over 2000 miles from my fronts , GG medium compounds...not tried the softs yet....YET....LOL

Andrew, did you get my e-mail...no file attached.... :confused:

minty83
03-10-2008, 11:27
the tyre rippling around the cuts is perfectly normal.....takes a good drive home to remove them and then they are like new again on mine.....

the rippling is how the tyre pattern moves under cornering, its where the grip comes from and are not far behind slicks but a fraction of the price and road legal....

i get over 2000 miles from my fronts , GG medium compounds..
2000 track miles? i know the rippling is normal but i still lost about 4mm of tread:crap:

paul b
03-10-2008, 11:33
left hand front tyre gets a hammering at Mallory.....

yup, 2000 track miles.....and on my 3 rd set of fronts in 2 years.....mmmm, thats why there was a petrol shortage, LOL.....

as I say, I havent tried the softs yet...

Rockingham too is very hard on tyres...no physical grip on track so tyres get worked hard there.....even teams who run there worry about tyre wear on slicks...

minty83
03-10-2008, 11:39
fair comments there paul:agree: but if anyone can point me in the direction of some 15" slick i would be most greatful, still going to keep the r888 for road use as i feel you cant beat them..well in the dry anyway but iv got some other rims i want to use just for track:)

The new Bill J
03-10-2008, 13:35
You could try Mark Fish. The old Clio Cups use 15" slicks and he still maintains a lot of them. Part worns are your best bet They usually come with loads of miles use left in them, and for a fraction of the price of new ones.

minty83
03-10-2008, 13:37
cheers mate, have you got a link or any contact details?

The new Bill J
03-10-2008, 13:40
01279 431628

paul b
03-10-2008, 13:44
01279 431628

I tried clicking on the above number....nothing happened....LMAO
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The new Bill J
03-10-2008, 13:48
I tried clicking on the above number....nothing happened....LMAO
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:laugh:

I was going to state that that was one of those old phone number things that were once used, but I thought against it. I should have known better :D

car.crash
03-10-2008, 17:35
all slicks are far from the same, i used euro cups before done 2 trackdays and they had hardly worn and gripped very well, only a blowout caused me to get new ones. so i then got a set of s2's they were very sticky and went slippery when hot after a good few laps and didnt last 1 trackday, so make sure you choose the right ones or they may not even last 1 trackday. also when using sticky slicky etc make sure they are matching compounds.

steveT2
03-10-2008, 17:48
As anyone used 888's and Kumho V70's??? just curious if the V70's are any better, think they are about double on cost.

steveT2
03-10-2008, 19:15
As anyone used 888's and Kumho V70's??? just curious if the V70's are any better, think they are about double on cost.

Just found this, to aswer my question:) http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/autobild-trackday-tyre-review.htm

Looks like the 888's have it considering the price difference:)

Duncan Grier
03-10-2008, 19:20
Paul I found that I was getting at least 3K from the medium compounds and spend plenty of time on track. Maybe time to you to get a cheap tyre temp guauge / sensor setup? Suspect they have got too hot - past their working temp and just killed them. I could get 5K on the road with a little track use. Also dont hang about on track :D just in case you all think I drive like miss daisy lol

Not been on track in the car with you but you can keep the temps down in a car by adjusting your style of driving and smoother lines. The diff / setup of the car will let you get away with some agressive lines but at the expense of your tyres.

Be interesting to see how it does on slicks but again I feel you have to drive a bit different on slicks - just my experiances ;)

Hope this helps in some way :):):)

minty83
03-10-2008, 19:27
Paul I found that I was getting at least 3K from the medium compounds and spend plenty of time on track. Maybe time to you to get a cheap tyre temp guauge / sensor setup? Suspect they have got too hot - past their working temp and just killed them. I could get 5K on the road with a little track use. Also dont hang about on track :D just in case you all think I drive like miss daisy lol

Not been on track in the car with you but you can keep the temps down in a car by adjusting your style of driving and smoother lines. The diff / setup of the car will let you get away with some agressive lines but at the expense of your tyres.

Be interesting to see how it does on slicks but again I feel you have to drive a bit different on slicks - just my experiances ;)

Hope this helps in some way :):):)
i thought it maybe the lines i was taking but when i was following cars into the corners most cars were pretty much on the lines i was using, i might just get a set of gg for the front and see how they hold up on the ring trip;)

Adey aka Ewok
03-10-2008, 19:34
did you keep a check on ure tyre pressures throught the day?

dave j gtt
03-10-2008, 19:36
sorry to hijack thead,

just acquired so 13" avon slicks , 9" wide.

what are peoples veiws on these please they are very slightly taller then 13/55/13s prob could of done with being taller but "beggers cant be chooses".

my plan is to get 4 spare steel gtt wheels and extend two of them to take these monster tyres. . . . .

:coffee:

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s346/dave_j_gtt/slicks001.jpg
http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s346/dave_j_gtt/slicks002.jpg

minty83
03-10-2008, 19:37
yes dropped it to 20 and when i finished after the mount went they were 28

Scoff
03-10-2008, 19:39
sorry to hijack thead,

just acquired so 13" avon slicks , 9" wide.

what are peoples veiws on these please they are very slightly taller then 13/55/13s prob could of done with being taller but "beggers cant be chooses".

my plan is to get 4 spare steel gtt wheels and extend two of them to take these monster tyres. . . . .

:coffee:

For the track or drag strip ?

car.crash
03-10-2008, 19:40
http://www.wide-wheels.co.uk/

these guys will stretch your steelies, they did a mates set and they came back fine.

dave j gtt
03-10-2008, 19:43
oops drag strip ;)

do as you have with your wheels chris :) except these do have the same height:crap:

cheers for that marc , but i fancy doing it myself for the satisfaction :cool2:

car.crash
03-10-2008, 19:47

i hope you know what your doing :)

Duncan Grier
03-10-2008, 19:49
yes dropped it to 20 and when i finished after the mount went they were 28

It may be worth trying a bit more pressure but that is not far off, it is more to do with temp than pressure. But pressure plays a big part. Light 800kg - 1000kg 20 - 26 psi cold 24 - 32 psi hot ;)

Toyo bod states 'Originally we only had one compound ‘GG’ (medium hard), but we have now introduced some sizes in a ‘SG’ (soft/wet) compound. This was done primarily for sprint/hillclimb (around 60 second runs) where the distances covered are relatively short and you need the tyres to work/heat up very quickly. This is not a compound I would recommend for race/trackday dry use as the tyres will go off very quickly.'

Those front wheels are getting some pain with the vag lump lol

Dont forget the extra info I posted on this thread with Alan's contact details, give him a call ;)

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=126&highlight=R888

Scoff
03-10-2008, 19:56
oops drag strip ;)

do as you have with your wheels chris :) except these do have the same height:crap:

Ok, well the most you can get out of cutting up steels and welding them up as I did is 7.25 J, they took my 9" drag slicks OK, just :)

Track tyres unfortunately don't work atall well on the drag strip, often road tyres will out perform them. You need alot of heat in a track tyre like that before it starts to get sticky. Drag tyres are alot different, they are sticky from cold.

dave j gtt
03-10-2008, 21:53
tyres in the bin then *lol*:crap: on with plan to do my steelies and get some tyres later :smokin:

Scoff
03-10-2008, 22:38
you might find that if you soak them in grip alot and get them propper hot before a launch they might work OK :)

Stuart Clark
03-10-2008, 22:53
First post!

Hi,
I have a pair of 15 inch avon slicks that set me back 400 quid, as said already these are crossply and have a very stiff sidewall and are great for a track day although i have an lsd and in tight corners i found the rear doing some steering under power, quite weird and scary.... They are a 10.3/22.5 15 i think but will check, i would be happy to sell you these, loads of tread left.
I ran them on a 7 inch rim no prob but would be better on an 8.

For the strip i have great respect for the m and h tyres from the states.
Cheers:)

dave j gtt
03-10-2008, 23:00
you might find that if you soak them in grip alot and get them propper hot before a launch they might work OK :)

might be worth trying then eh see what happens next year when i eventually get my car to strip or track:ashamed:

quote stuart clark,
Hi,
I have a pair of 15 inch avon slicks that set me back 400 quid, as said already these are crossply and have a very stiff sidewall and are great for a track day although i have an lsd and in tight corners i found the rear doing some steering under power, quite weird and scary.... They are a 10.3/22.5 15 i think but will check, i would be happy to sell you these, loads of tread left.
I ran them on a 7 inch rim no prob but would be better on an 8.

For the strip i have great respect for the m and h tyres from the states.
Cheers:)

hi, the m and h tyres is what it will probably be, good reports all round and the !/4 mile chart shows:rolleyes:

got for free so might stick on ebay or see whatthey cann do for a moment of madness.