PDA

View Full Version : Why you should use a Roll Cage

paul b
03-10-2008, 09:51
For those who do trackdays, this should open your eye's to what can go wrong...
luckily this a happy ending..
http://www.lancerregister.com//showthread.php?t=224475

BriC
03-10-2008, 09:59
That makes me feel ALOT better about the £500 I just spent on a rollcage :)

paul b
03-10-2008, 10:00
from the look of your avatar I'd go for fitting a door as well.....

ROFPMSL

BriC
03-10-2008, 10:05
All in good time.. I'm working on a budget :scared:

Mart
03-10-2008, 10:11
What's with all the scare-mongering threads/pictures lately? We're trying to get more people onto track, not scare them off.

BriC
03-10-2008, 10:14
Mart, Hate to sound like a H&S obsessed, fun spoiling git, but people should be made aware of the risks, as well as the positives of going on track.

paul b
03-10-2008, 10:15
NO..........not at all....

I was pointing out more the open top/convertible side of what can happen...

we found out on our own track day.....if your tyre pops all you can do is hang on....

I personally don't have a cage and probably will never get one in the 9....but that doesnt stop me recommending one...

Just got my DAD head on....come on kid's,jump in were off to donington...LOL

Mart
03-10-2008, 10:34
Mart, Hate to sound like a H&S obsessed, fun spoiling git, but people should be made aware of the risks, as well as the positives of going on track.

Ok, but without wishing to sound patronising, I'm pretty sure said people know of the consequences should they have an off whilst on track. It's not rocket science to work out that if you smack an armco at 100mph, or skid sideways into a sand/gravel-trap, and as a result your car rolls, that it's gonna hurt & probably total your car in the process.

I personally don't have a cage and probably will never get one in the 9

Ironic that you should start a thread about it then, no? ;)

No offence meant chaps; just it's hard enough getting people to trackdays/Ring trips as it is.

All good :)

BriC
03-10-2008, 10:37
I plan on joining you to the ring when my car is all in one piece again.. That is, if I am invited :)

Mart
03-10-2008, 10:47
Open invite - Anyone & everyone is always welcome. Be good to see you on-board mate.

paul b
03-10-2008, 10:53
Ok, but without wishing to sound patronising, I'm pretty sure said people know of the consequences should they have an off whilst on track. It's not rocket science to work out that if you smack an armco at 100mph, or skid sideways into a sand/gravel-trap, and as a result your car rolls, that it's gonna hurt & probably total your car in the process.

Ironic that you should start a thread about it then, no? ;)

No offence meant chaps; just it's hard enough getting people to trackdays/Ring trips as it is.

All good :)

no irony............just looking after my fellow trackers.......
I did try and "help" with pointers about the track too......gotta love going fast , I do....but I'd never want anyone to get hurt.....
I feel that I drive within my limits on track.....if I had a cage I might just try harder...LOL

Mart
03-10-2008, 10:56
if I had a cage I might just try harder...LOL

That worries me ;) :D

paul b
03-10-2008, 11:04
did you not think why I have grey hair.....LMFAO

D4WNO
03-10-2008, 11:59
Lol, stop bitching girlies :laugh:

I, for one, find this kinda thing quite interesting. I know we all know we should drive within our limits but a little visual reminder every now and then never goes amiss. People do get complacent unfortunately sometimes, nobody is perfect.

Regarding convertibles, it's always been a rule of mine to never go on one on track. Bless Dale for offering but I had to turn down an offer of a ride round the track due to the 19 being a cab. It's just what I think, don't mind what other people do at all :)

Bigfoot
03-10-2008, 12:07
I drive within my limits as well. However a puncture you can never be fully prepared for if your in a cab or a normal car. Its just whats around you and how you control the car afterwards. Cant say ill be looking at a roll cage for the cab though, will look strange with roof down.

D4WNO
03-10-2008, 12:12
Oh my convertable comment was nothing to do with driving ability or limits, I wouldn't even get in one with Nigel Mansell driving lol :laugh:

End of the day a nasty accident can happen in any car though and like Dale said, it could be due to something completely out of your own control. Same as everything in life I guess

minty83
03-10-2008, 12:16
if your serious about tracking your car i would say to get a rollcage, i notice such a difference with the cars handling and body roll, plus if some crash's into (not your fault) you've still got a better chance of surviving
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9-9bhZUlavc

Bigfoot
03-10-2008, 12:19
You will be suprised how much stiffer the convertible going around the track than the normal hatchback version, they are so much stronger and hardly any roll, well apart from the movement in suspension but thats normal for a car like that.

Ill be keeping with one track car as it is, only reason I took the 19 because i first need to get the track car up and working properly :(

Mart
03-10-2008, 12:23
Lol, stop bitching girlies

It's called discussion.

paul b
03-10-2008, 12:25
It's called discussion.

But it's not so much FUN without beer and fire,,,LMAO......

D4WNO
03-10-2008, 12:29
I was joking moody Mart, I think the RTOC banter is quite funny :laugh:

Mart
03-10-2008, 12:35
I'm not moody you soppy moo :D Just having a friendly chat putting the world to rights along the way ;)

At this point I'll stop for fear of being pushed down a random hill in Germany... :crap: ;)

D4WNO
03-10-2008, 12:40
At this point I'll stop for fear of being pushed down a random hill in Germany... :crap: ;)

PMSL! I nearly just spat my apple all over the laptop screen! :laugh:

c7borg
03-10-2008, 12:43
looks like he likes crashing by the amount on youtube

dave j gtt
03-10-2008, 12:49
if your serious about tracking your car i would say to get a rollcage, i notice such a difference with the cars handling and body roll, plus if some crash's into (not your fault) you've still got a better chance of surviving
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9-9bhZUlavc

what a coccck that guy is :crap::jerkoff:

dave j gtt
03-10-2008, 13:01
looks like he likes crashing by the amount on youtube

thats the sort of person i can't deal with and would end up locked up over :scared:
i feel for the guy he chrashes into :sad2: i'd be very tempted to go round his house and remove goods to the value of what damage he caused. or will his insurence pay out :confused: if that was the case i'd be easy :smokin:

minty83
03-10-2008, 13:04
i believe it was a women driving the 106....

Mart
03-10-2008, 13:14
It was.

He's had some shocking offs in his Evos over the years. There's another classic of when he allegedly had brake failure, came skidding across the grass, and punted someone off the track resulting in both cars taking some serious damage.

I'll see if I can find the vid' of that golden moment...

D4WNO
03-10-2008, 13:16
If you can't find them Mart, I think I have them in my favourites at home so will post them in a couple of hours :agree:

Mart
03-10-2008, 13:23
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VQlz6TqtdNs

Mart
03-10-2008, 13:25
Cheers Dawn. There's better quality ones, that you've probably got. That Youtube one doesn't really show the full extent of what happened.

He's either one seriously unlucky guy when it comes to track action, or his driving talent sucks.

minty83
03-10-2008, 13:25
love it!!!!!!!:sad2:

paul b
03-10-2008, 13:26
did you see the time trial one,.....he lost control at the end of the run,

Bear Gryllis found him , revived him and pointed him back towards the the track

Mart
03-10-2008, 13:28
Better quality:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OIS_Bcvhmcs

In fairness to him, it does sound like he's pumping the brake pedal with not much happening.

Nasty nasty accident though.

paul b
03-10-2008, 13:34
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=n2bCv6wqJIM

Mart
03-10-2008, 13:44
It gets better: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ktx1QHjytaE

:crap: :sad2:

Trevhib
03-10-2008, 16:16
I think threads like this are essential. There are so many dim wits about it's necessary to point out the obvious over and over. If it scares some people off track days then great because you only want those people who are serious about it actually turning up, and if you ARE serious then you'll be getting a cage (or running a suitable car).

I think it's more important to have fewer people at a track day with a higher level of saftey, than more people including an element that are under prepared.

minty83
03-10-2008, 16:26
I think threads like this are essential. There are so many dim wits about it's necessary to point out the obvious over and over. If it scares some people off track days then great because you only want those people who are serious about it actually turning up, and if you ARE serious then you'll be getting a cage (or running a suitable car).

I think it's more important to have fewer people at a track day with a higher level of saftey, than more people including an element that are under prepared.
i agree pretty much with this:agree: but i dont think we should scare people off just make them more aware of the risk you are invloved in motorsport

paul b
03-10-2008, 16:37
Trev, you can say that after having laps in the old girl at Donington , it was wet but sooooooooooooooooooooo much fun

Mart
03-10-2008, 16:44

Disagree. Even the most experienced of drivers can have a bad day or go off due to mechanical issues. The guy who crashed at Mallory probably wouldn't have if it wasn't for his car suffering a tyre blow out.

You can have all the safety in the world, but it makes no difference if lady luck isn't riding shotgun with you that day. Cue Senna & the way he died as an example...

Thankfully, I've never witnessed anyone getting hurt at any of the trackdays I've been on over the years. That tells me the majority, if not all, do have a bit of savvy when it comes to being safe on track.

Billy-G
03-10-2008, 17:06

:agree:

Nail.

Hammer.

Head.

Bod
03-10-2008, 17:16
I want to do the Nurburgring when the next trip comes up but wouldn,t do it unless i had my cage fitted which im getting in the next week or two just looking for the best price at the moment:)

car.crash
03-10-2008, 17:28
i wouldnt drive a 5 on the road without a cage let alone a track, the doors are thin as a fag packet and no protection anywhere. a cage may not save your life but it will give me a much better chance than the next guy in his car without one.

Billy-G
03-10-2008, 18:27
i wouldnt drive a 5 on the road without a cage let alone a track, the doors are thin as a fag packet and no protection anywhere. a cage may not save your life but it will give me a much better chance than the next guy in his car without one.

Over the last 15+ odd years I've been touring scrappies, I've seen some pretty beat up 5's.

Two that I'll never forget were the newish GT turbo with the steering wheel sticking out the sunroof, and the one that had been t-boned (by a Volvo according to the scrap monkey) and the drivers door card was touching the gearstick. You could still see the blood on the headlining. It was getting crushed into a cube that very day.

I never used to be into roll cages for the road. Now I'm getting older, I'm feeling very different on the subject.

Oh, almost forgot the one where the rear hatch and quarter panels had folder in and were about 2 inches forward of the rear seats. Rear end shunt? Er, no. He hit pole at about 100mph+ and came to a dead stop. The sheer momentum carried the hatchback from the boot to the back seat. Apparently they found the cars battery 400 yards away in a field. Not far from his head.

Scary stuff.

MR TURBO
03-10-2008, 18:36

Trevhib
05-10-2008, 00:34
Disagree. Even the most experienced of drivers can have a bad day or go off due to mechanical issues. The guy who crashed at Mallory probably wouldn't have if it wasn't for his car suffering a tyre blow out.

You can have all the safety in the world, but it makes no difference if lady luck isn't riding shotgun with you that day. Cue Senna & the way he died as an example...

Thankfully, I've never witnessed anyone getting hurt at any of the trackdays I've been on over the years. That tells me the majority, if not all, do have a bit of savvy when it comes to being safe on track.

I think it's obvious that driving any car at speed attracts a certain level of risk that you simply can't mitigate against (road or track).

Understanding that you can be unlucky even with a cage, certainly isn't an argument not to get one and I don't see an issue in reiterating the protection one can possibly provide.

markey b
08-10-2008, 01:08
I drive within my limits as well. However a puncture you can never be fully prepared for if your in a cab or a normal car. Its just whats around you and how you control the car afterwards. Cant say ill be looking at a roll cage for the cab though, will look strange with roof down.

hijack... lol.. was that your green scab i was parked next to at ND??

Bigfoot
08-10-2008, 07:11
hijack... lol.. was that your green scab i was parked next to at ND??

Yes that was, did notice you parked next to it.

markey b
08-10-2008, 23:51
thought it would be very rude not too! lol... glad i wasn't the only 5 owner slumming it that day :scared: