PDA

View Full Version : cars gone nuts

Ross99
02-10-2008, 23:01
ok put my 5 back together sorting out a few loose ends, plumbed in a boost controller and,

its going mad, no matter which way the knob is turned its boosting off my standard dash boost gauge and on my gauge mesuring carb base its hitting .9 or 1 bar, but the car is going mental no traction its all over the shop, it pull's well then feels like its trying but nothing much is doing, wheels go light 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th on boost.

worried its actually to much for my clutch which i believe to be standard so if the boost controller does duff all how do i sort it, so i can run a bit safer, it cant be good fuelling either as haven't re jetted the carb yet.

Brigsy
02-10-2008, 23:09
Sounds like the boost controller is plumbed in wrong imo, take some pics of the pipework.

Nayls
02-10-2008, 23:16
Sounds like the boost controller is plumbed in wrong imo, take some pics of the pipework.

3 port controller

actuator hose to left hand port
right hand port goes to carb
bottom port bleeds to atmos

Ross99
02-10-2008, 23:48
yep plumbed in right just seems to be exsesivly angry on boost, it cant even be that powerful as not got themods to be, but it seems like if i got anymore boost its taking itselfinto the nearest ditch for a well deserved break

dave j gtt
02-10-2008, 23:57
boosting off my standard dash boost gauge, and on my gauge mesuring carb base its hitting .9 or 1 bar = :cool::cool::cool::cool: if set up right .

i run standard t2 turbo , standard cam. and its rapid is well surprising. no real top tuner bull crap mods, just simple stuff that the world of rtoc gave me last christmas:smokin: thank you all :cool2::burnrubber:

when i got my car it had a big problem :crap: not enough boost had to rev the nuts out of it , and still didnt go that well. think mine use to boost around 11psi carb top :sad2:.

spent some time, new plugs, already had volvo clutch, checked had good fuel pressure , made sure all water system was going to last so added a new radaitor , rebuilt carb, drilled 2nd stage jet to 1.4 cranked the boost up to 15psi carb base and got it checked with the wideband by a top bloke "you know who you are" *lol*

now my car feels very light when under full throttle especially when wet.

sounds to me like you need to remove you boost controller and set a max boost pressure with your actuator rather than bleeding air off. or get somone that Knows to fit and set up for you.

dave j gtt
04-10-2008, 00:48
just to add my oe t2 turbo wont last forever at this level of boost, or will it :)

Ross99
04-10-2008, 01:16
your turbo might your engine might not ;)

dave j gtt
04-10-2008, 12:18

sorry mate but what are you on about ? 5gtt engine will take full boost from a t2 all day long ,my t2 is on its limit at around 18psi carb top as long as the fueling is correct i dont forsee any prob with the engine, turbo running at that level is another matter. wont last as long as it would with fairy boost. But hey done 4,000miles as it is and the turbo is old oe 1 that came with the car from factory. my car has done bout 65k on standard turbo :cool:

next step for me is to get a bigger turbo. and piper285 cam and mod carb to fuel 20psi carb base.

Ross99
04-10-2008, 13:53
ok dave glad your cars tip top, :smokin:

this thread is about my car which isn't!!!!!!

dave j gtt
04-10-2008, 15:06
all i have done and am doing is adviseing :crap:

i have spent time telling you the basics of what needs to be achived and know to save you waisting monies on tuners mods and such things.

if you reply smartley like that to my replys or other peoples for that matter i dont see you reciveing much help.

dave j gtt
04-10-2008, 15:08

sorry mate but that aint a question about your car :sad2:

Ross99
04-10-2008, 15:19
dude get back in your bed and get out the other side, chill out dont be a http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z51/Rossyboy99/keyboardwarrior.jpg

i'm sorry to disagree with your advice but i think wanging the boost up on a standard engine is just plain stupid and not ver good advice to give out to new comers to a 5 simple as i'm entitled to my opinion as are you but,

i suggest if your opinions are challenged and your going to blow your top a PUBLIC forum is maybe not a good place for you, as for other peoples advice, its always been very welcomed as they seem to have a good idea about 5's and the best way to protect against damage or at least as best you can.

Scoff
04-10-2008, 16:06
Ross your missing the point, Dave's engine is fine because he has jetted (and tested) the carburettor for that boost. He isn't suggesting people wang the boost up on a totally standard engine.

Ross99
04-10-2008, 19:18
well i'm in the wrong as i was lead to believe it had indeed not been jetted, my apologese dave.

dave j gtt
04-10-2008, 20:16
Ross your missing the point, Dave's engine is fine because he has jetted (and tested) the carburettor for that boost. He isn't suggesting people wang the boost up on a totally standard engine.

jetted : i drilled the 2nd stage jet.

If your going to drive your car hard/fast, i reccomend turning the boost up safley, doing the correct service proceedures and taking stress of your engine haveing a better mid range balanced performance.

In doing so you wont have to redline your car to get it to go any where ;) at the moment with my setup, a quick press of the throttle and change gear. bags of touque low down on these litttle turbo engines,

it feel like it stress the engine less with the more balanced boost, the turbo assists to raise the compression ratio and give you the power, rather than chrunching the gear and red lineing to keep the turbo going.

PLEASE SOMEONE PUT RIGHT IF AM WRONG ABOUT ANYTHING :scared:

think am going to have to lamba test mine again somtime soon:crap: after drilling the carb there must be a little bit of crap in there, so full strip down and clean will put my mind at rest.

saftey first :), going to turn the boost down a bit, do a full carb rebuild, clean every jet and re test and set my emisions as its a bit rich on tick over part throttle and still havent sorted that since the last carb rebiuld.

just trying to give good advise and make the thread a detailed one stateing knowledge that was previously "searchable on old rtoc"

sorry, if i sound like i fell out of bed the wrong side :homer: i do ramble :D