PDA

View Full Version : snow

J$£5GTT
07-01-2010, 17:20
peed off with this now,had my play yesterday and now i just want gone,but with the temperature it looks like its going to stay for a while yet,i want to go back to work!!
also most people seem to be driving with total disregard for others (no change there then!),but some of the untreated roads and the speed of some of the cars...:dearme:

Gttnutter
07-01-2010, 17:31
Yep i agree, so far i've worked monday this week and thats it, total ball ache as it puts me behind with future bookings i've made with customers.

dangerous dave
07-01-2010, 18:14
Yep i agree, so far i've worked monday this week and thats it, total ball ache as it puts me behind with future bookings i've made with customers.

are you a manwhore:scared:

jesus in the seat of a 5
07-01-2010, 18:52
:agree:..ive been climbing the walls when it should be trees....:laugh:

clee
07-01-2010, 20:06
Glory hunter ...get some brashing done :agree:;)

Adam L
07-01-2010, 20:14
I've worked all week, and i've been ill the last two days... Real man coming through:)

Smokey
07-01-2010, 20:16
im not ill but iv walked all week to and tomorow the only day i didnt was wednesday as i ad to take the car in the garage.

Brigsy
07-01-2010, 20:18
Cant wait to see the back of it, the snow has been here since before christmas. Been out working in it every day this week:disagree:

Another 2" has just laid over the ice, i can foresee some fun on the roads tomorrow.

D4WNO
07-01-2010, 20:22
I've literally been snowed in, even my front door froze shut, lol

Luckily, I've been able to work from home on the laptop the past 2 days but I'm going to wade my way in tomorrow in my wellies...I'm SOOOOOOOOO sick of Jeremy Kyle!

mike r5 gtt
07-01-2010, 20:49
im sick of the snow!!!had 2 walk to work alll week coz i live at the bottom of a massive hill!!!and i REALLY wanted 2 get the engine back in one of my cars sat but i dont think thats gonna happen now coz more snow is comin!:devil:! still it is great fun sliding customers car up the road :eek::D

Chris Hebden
07-01-2010, 20:59
I'm SOOOOOOOOO sick of Jeremy Kyle!
:laugh: I love that type of work ;)

dave j gtt
07-01-2010, 21:00
were's all the picture's :confused: chop chop ;)

Ricardo
07-01-2010, 21:37
I've literally been snowed in, even my front door froze shut, lol

Luckily, I've been able to work from home on the laptop the past 2 days but I'm going to wade my way in tomorrow in my wellies...I'm SOOOOOOOOO sick of Jeremy Kyle!

You think being stuck indoors for 2 days is bad enough!! :wasntme:

I've got another 3 weeks of it, the first time we get some decent snow and i can't get outside to have fun!! :cry: :D

Spooky
07-01-2010, 21:44
You think being stuck indoors for 2 days is bad enough!! :wasntme:

I've got another 3 weeks of it, the first time we get some decent snow and i can't get outside to have fun!! :cry: :D

:bothered:...:laugh:

Ricardo
07-01-2010, 21:46
I hope the snow falls off yer roof when you leave the house and shut the door! :cooter: :D

Spooky
07-01-2010, 21:48
I more worried about the roof than the snow :eek: :laugh:

D4WNO
07-01-2010, 21:53
Awww, sorry Ricky,

I thought I'd really enjoy working at home but I've got a bad back from sitting with the laptop on the sofa for so long. I used to like Jez Kyle, can't stand the bloke now.

I'm gonna try my best to get into work tomorrow, I need some human comminucation too!

Kris M
07-01-2010, 21:56
If you start walking now Dawn, you might get there for the morning :D;)

J$£5GTT
07-01-2010, 22:11
Awww, sorry Ricky,

I thought I'd really enjoy working at home but I've got a bad back from sitting with the laptop on the sofa for so long. I used to like Jez Kyle, can't stand the bloke now.

I'm gonna try my best to get into work tomorrow, I need some human comminucation too!

human communication...translated chaps....D wants an activity partner!!!

:cooter:

D4WNO
07-01-2010, 22:36
human communication...translated chaps....D wants an activity partner!!!

:cooter:

Lol, D HAS an activity partner...he's coming to see me tomorrow, yay :D

Rob@Backyardracing
07-01-2010, 22:47
Sick of snow, and more so the freckin ice... Works dead too this week, fookin waters frozen, cant even make a brew.. :cry: I have to carry a blow torch to unfreeze the gates and locks in morning just to get in...

scratcher
07-01-2010, 22:51
I've worked all week, and i've been ill the last two days... Real man coming through:)

Same here.... Does a runny nose count?

We had no site agent today so it turned into a 3 hour snowball (snow bath for the apprentices) fight. I took a big icy one to the eye :dearme: it still stings :bothered::laugh:

sphinX
08-01-2010, 08:53
Well my cars gone crazy. Tried to drive it to work today (don't know why). temperature was fine as I pulled off then it just flew up.

Don't know whats wrong with it, if the rad has frozen so not cooling...gasket gone, or something else.

Either way the car is stranded near my house somewhere, starts fine and everything but if i go to drive it temp flys up :cry: RAC also are very busy so it might have to stay there for a while in the freezing weather...ahhh.

James5
08-01-2010, 09:02
Well my cars gone crazy. Tried to drive it to work today (don't know why). temperature was fine as I pulled off then it just flew up.

Don't know whats wrong with it, if the rad has frozen so not cooling...gasket gone, or something else.

Either way the car is stranded near my house somewhere, starts fine and everything but if i go to drive it temp flys up :cry: RAC also are very busy so it might have to stay there for a while in the freezing weather...ahhh.

Aux belt slipped off?
Any loss of coolant?

James5
08-01-2010, 09:04
Aux belt slipped off?

Any Mayo under oil cap?
Any oil in coolant ?

I take you have been running proper coolant and not just water?

sphinX
08-01-2010, 09:13
Prob a case of not enough proper coolant in the car.

Everything else is fine on the car. Would have thought though if the water has boiled over then the rad would free up if its frozen over?

sphinX
08-01-2010, 09:21
Haven't really had a good enough look though, too cold to mess about so I will wait till its towed home and hopefully get it sorted.

sphinX
08-01-2010, 09:47
What I don't understand is why the fan didn't turn on either when the temp was high? All those connectinos are fine, or am I being a noob and not realising the obvious?

TrixNFlix
08-01-2010, 10:16
What I don't understand is why the fan didn't turn on either when the temp was high? All those connectinos are fine, or am I being a noob and not realising the obvious?

if the rad frozen, how is the fan gonna kick in,Also if one of the pipes is frozen then the pressure will be massive. Hence the possible headgasket problem. Also a hot engine block faced with a sudden burst of very cold water and ice is not good. Remember the old geography lessons on what water can do when it expands and contracts.

TrixNFlix
08-01-2010, 10:34
Sorry forgot to say, your standard water temp gauge sensor is in the top of the waterpump, and your standard fan sensor is in your rad. So it sounds like a frozen problem in your rad or the pipes going to it. Hope you get it sorted asap and it's not headgasket.

James5
08-01-2010, 10:34
Haven't really had a good enough look though, too cold to mess about so I will wait till its towed home and hopefully get it sorted.

To cold :laugh: I was out last night removed pistons from engine, came back in couldn't feel my feet :eek:

5teve L
08-01-2010, 10:48
Also check core plugs ....

I have a sore butt from sledging on bits of thin plastic... well not my butt, more my coccyx really, ended up staning up on a car bonnet sliding down last night, great fun. Have to agree it's a pain in the arse though for work, couldn't even get my work van out, may try again later... Well behind with work now, next month will be hard with no money :(

tonesGTT
08-01-2010, 11:08
Reading all this has cheered me up a bit! We havent had any snow down my way since Tuesday and that was the only day it did snow! Its getting down to about -7 overnight so we have some probs with ice on untreated roads. Sadly, i live on a main road thats been well salted so can easily get to work. It seems the East Devon coastline is missing the worst by a long way!

modfather
08-01-2010, 11:42
Reading all this has cheered me up a bit! We havent had any snow down my way since Tuesday and that was the only day it did snow! Its getting down to about -7 overnight so we have some probs with ice on untreated roads. Sadly, i live on a main road thats been well salted so can easily get to work. It seems the East Devon coastline is missing the worst by a long way!

i live in east devon the snow aint to bad here had about 2 inch

Spooky
08-01-2010, 11:44
Swindon is just a huge skid pan in places :D

dave r5
08-01-2010, 14:38
im sick of the snow and ice.

i just dont understand the weather these days. its freezing outside in the shade, but the suns beaming down.

my house is on an angled ice rink. at the wrong end:mad: grr

and the padlock to my work shop is frozen along with the solid steel hinges for the doors.

roll on the summer

Brigsy
08-01-2010, 15:13
Result today, work sent us home early because of the conditions:agree:

Schakal
08-01-2010, 16:10
the only thing that pisses me off about the cold and snow is not
being able to work on the car . tried to paint my fuel tank in the workshop
the other day and miserably failed due to paint not liking the low temps .
ended up stripping completely and painting it inside the house

WIN !!! :agree:

sphinX
09-01-2010, 00:15
Sorry forgot to say, your standard water temp gauge sensor is in the top of the waterpump, and your standard fan sensor is in your rad. So it sounds like a frozen problem in your rad or the pipes going to it. Hope you get it sorted asap and it's not headgasket.

Ahh makes sense,

Anyway it is sorted. Was a case of the rad being frozen and me being a melon and not having enough anti freeze in. Also a few of the fuses had blown and inside the car was blown luke warm air haha i didn't even notice it much. So that's sorted and now I have to sort the anti freeze out. Silly me!

TrixNFlix
09-01-2010, 09:08
Ah cool, hopefully no long term damage has been done. :agree:

Scottish9Turbo
09-01-2010, 09:15
everyones going mental about the snow.... man up and get tooled up for the snow, dont drive like a f**ny and you'll get through it just fine!

this country has lost its balls with everyone moaning over a tiny bit of snow saying "end of the world no gas, no food, no fuel, no grit etc"

wrightygtt
09-01-2010, 09:40
:laugh:lol, this weather must be like summer to you Scots

Woznaldo
09-01-2010, 10:05
Right I'm going to have a rant.

I now live in Australia and yes the temp was 38 deg C today but, I used to live in UK and I also uaed to spend 3 months of every year in Northern Norway inside the Artic Circle. The UK always struggles with anything more than 2 inches of snow fall, yet the Norwigians can easily cope with the snow and ice every day!

They have a fleet of snow ploughs and other such snow clearing equipment and I know that it is not financially sound for UK to keep the same fleet when they are only going to use 3-4 months of any one year but, that does not mean that a standing contract cannot be raised for the continual short term loan of such equipment.

It also seems to me that the snow in UK gets worse every year. Is it time to start a snow and ice element to the driving test or offer reduced premiums to those who seek the training themselves?

The government is going to feel increasing pressure to do something about this and if some simple implementations don't take place then, the UK will suffer the annual lose in revenue due to employees being away from work.

If the UK ever suffered a terrorist attack/other disaster during these snowy winter months, I dread to see the secondary death toll due to emergency services not getting through?

Rant over.

sphinX
09-01-2010, 10:09

I now live in Australia and yes the temp was 38 deg C today but, I used to live in UK and I also uaed to spend 3 months of every year in Northern Norway inside the Artic Circle. The UK always struggles with anything more than 2 inches of snow fall, yet the Norwigians can easily cope with the snow and ice every day!

They have a fleet of snow ploughs and other such snow clearing equipment and I know that it is not financially sound for UK to keep the same fleet when they are only going to use 3-4 months of any one year but, that does not mean that a standing contract cannot be raised for the continual short term loan of such equipment.

It also seems to me that the snow in UK gets worse every year. Is it time to start a snow and ice element to the driving test or offer reduced premiums to those who seek the training themselves?

The government is going to feel increasing pressure to do something about this and if some simple implementations don't take place then, the UK will suffer the annual lose in revenue due to employees being away from work.

If the UK ever suffered a terrorist attack/other disaster during these snowy winter months, I dread to see the secondary death toll due to emergency services not getting through?

Rant over.

Well formatted opinion :agree:

Scottish9Turbo
09-01-2010, 10:13
:laugh:lol, this weather must be like summer to you Scots

-12 all night from 8pm onwards here and -4 during the day.......shorts, t-shirt and bbq on the go mate!:laugh:

Scottish9Turbo
09-01-2010, 10:13

Rant over.

+1

sphinX
09-01-2010, 12:49
For anyone who cares. Car is sorted :) The winter has brought good fortune to my car forcing me to fix things haha and now everything is sweet apart from the coilovers aren't on ;) we'll leave that for a warm day though!

Mart
09-01-2010, 13:05
Classic timing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZvCK2o6Zbo :laugh:

rs250nut
09-01-2010, 13:14

Quality:agree::laugh:

J$£5GTT
09-01-2010, 14:17
next headline is going to be-

roads are going to need major repair works due to the weather.
that will be all in our faces next to the manufactured war.

this looks fun though-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIRvKqfH5Zc

TrixNFlix
09-01-2010, 15:26
For anyone who cares. Car is sorted :) The winter has brought good fortune to my car forcing me to fix things haha and now everything is sweet apart from the coilovers aren't on ;) we'll leave that for a warm day though!

Good stuff. :agree:

wrightygtt
09-01-2010, 16:03

lol, that guy slammed hard:laugh: hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, funny!
I measured the snow in the back garden and its at 14" not very scientific but its enough to tell me not to take the van out, plus I saw at least 5 people get stuck yesterday, which amused me greatly:laugh: