PDA

View Full Version : racing competitivly beginners

Adey aka Ewok
02-10-2008, 21:24
hey, i know there are a few proper racers out there, as was wondering if there are any pointers to be had when starting out in amature motorsport?

after years of ragging my cars about on tracks and roads im now considering entering an amature competitive series, namley the saloon car championship at castle combe, i have spoken to them (very friendly) and a going to be ordering the go racing starter pack to get my licence. im looking to be ready for next season if all goes well.

is there anything i should look out for? as i really dnt know what to expect, ive looked throught the regs and all my car needs as far as i can tell to meet the requirements are the battery cut off and fire exstinguisher, not looking to go in win but looking to tussel around at the bottom of the table but have fun at the same time?

tips please for a first timer

paul b
02-10-2008, 21:31
check your seat, belts,cage,racesuit,helmet are approved and stamped...saves a lot of time later..

best thing is to get yourself in the pits on race day.....you'll enjoy it and see first hand things you'll miss normally...

like how much gear these guys take along,2 full sets of spare rims inc wets...jacks, tools, etc......spares your dealer would be proud of too..

apply for your race liscence earlier than you think

most of all, ENJOY IT.......only the lucky few get to race.....make the most of it

Adey aka Ewok
02-10-2008, 21:38
ive had the intention of racing since i got the car so when ordering things ive asked for them to be fia approved, was this right? havent got myself a suit yet tho, hoping to shed a few more kgs b4 i do ;) lol

*Yellow*
02-10-2008, 21:41
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Be prepared to spend,spend spend.

but well worth it. :cool:

paul b
02-10-2008, 21:45
ive had the intention of racing since i got the car so when ordering things ive asked for them to be fia approved, was this right? havent got myself a suit yet tho, hoping to shed a few more kgs b4 i do ;) lol

good man........spend once and do it right....

you'll be glad of a bigger suit when your sitting on the start grid for the first time...practice and qualifying are like trackdays....the race....ah well...:laugh:

Adey aka Ewok
02-10-2008, 21:49
dnt wana go to nuts with costs, not going for loads of tyres and stuff to be honest, ill just stick to the 888s for each race meet as the class only allows road legal e marked tyres. other than that its maintenance and fuel. i feel i have some of the better stuff available for the clio so no need to upgrade just yet

Rob@Backyardracing
02-10-2008, 21:55
Anyone got involved in the 750club? :confused:

Adey aka Ewok
02-10-2008, 21:57
nope, had a look around and went with a series held at combe as its local ish, so less traveling to do, think the 750 is held at a fair few diff venues

Rob@Backyardracing
02-10-2008, 22:02
Yeah i had a breif look in to it a while back.... looks good with alot of action.... price aint to bad i guess (if you dont crash).

*Yellow*
02-10-2008, 22:07
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I only bought my car to do trackdays, quickly got bored of that and got license to start racing with a mate who was already racing.

Amazed how quick everyone was, and after driving round on your own is no fun, thats where the cash goes and had a couple of knocks as well this year dont take long to mount up.

Like I said though worth it.

What cars will you be racing against in that series?

Adey aka Ewok
02-10-2008, 22:14
vaux astras, mg zr thingys, im going to be in class b thats anything up to 3ltr really

*Yellow*
02-10-2008, 22:32
We raced there few months ago and watched few series and they are all quick. some insane 205`s .

My mate runs a rover mg zr and they are great cars, you can see him on the Lydden thread I did a while back.

Its just a learning curve to start with, these guys have been racing years and dont give an inch. Very different to trackdays.

I`m sure you will have fun, I`m glad I started and am racing this weekend at Lydden and cant wait to get out there.

Andrew Cooke
03-10-2008, 00:03
First of all I'm going to wish you all the best

the next thing I'm going to say is - if you can't afford to throw your race car away don't do it.

last thing is, if you're serious about racing you will spend at least 4 times what you think you'll spend.