PDA

View Full Version : new pistons

jonnyshaw49
01-01-2010, 21:34
hi could anyone tell me what are best pistons to use for track/fastroad i know low comp are used for higher boost, but what are high comp used for? does it just give more compression so more power on the engine, also is it possible to get standard pistons machined cheaper?? what can be done to the piston to achieve better power?? also what are the best rings,i read somewhere along time ago about total seal ones, what are they? or is it just better to keep standard? thanks

Adam 005
01-01-2010, 22:39
stock piston and liners will be fine for a fast road/track car.

Markey Mark (BD)
02-01-2010, 15:51
As Adam says standard are fine for what you want mate, if you wanted too high comp would work really well but its a fine art of deciding how high you want to go.

I would never go low comp on any boost setting, no point in my opinion.

jonnyshaw49
02-01-2010, 16:19
nice 1 mate thanks, once these turbos are sold adam l is going to make me one of them t25's but if you wanted to go high comp with that turbo what pistons would you get????

Markey Mark (BD)
02-01-2010, 16:34
nice 1 mate thanks, once these turbos are sold adam l is going to make me one of them t25's but if you wanted to go high comp with that turbo what pistons would you get????

I'd still fit standard pistons mate, poss have the pistons flat topped then have the head modified to run high comp. Just trying to think how my old engine was done.

jonnyshaw49
02-01-2010, 17:40
whats needed to get the ok for higher comp.my meads a head builder/modifier at minisport so could do what i need, they might also do flat top pistons, does anyone know what is needed on the pistons??? can you just do pistons and leave the head???

Markey Mark (BD)
02-01-2010, 18:25
whats needed to get the ok for higher comp.my meads a head builder/modifier at minisport so could do what i need, they might also do flat top pistons, does anyone know what is needed on the pistons??? can you just do pistons and leave the head???

If you skim the pistons and leave everything else that will be low comp mate.

I remembered my engine had piston crown taken off, block and liners skimmed down 1mm then head modded to get compression to 8.1:1 or 8.3:1 (one of them)
You can do it that way or either skim head and/or modify the combustion chamber in the head.

What needs doing depends on what compression ratio you want, head condition (i:e height) and boost you want to run.

Its abit of work but does make the engine feel very lively,