PDA

View Full Version : front bumper , bump strips Removal ???

dave j gtt
01-01-2010, 14:13
Right my old bumper is going in the bin, its been smashed along the bottem since i got the car, i cut it all the way along to tidy it up. when i got it.

The bump strips are mint and will need them i suppose if i get a new OE front bumper in the future.

1 - has any one removed sucsessfully without damaging them.

2 - help :scared: , I have had a good look, and 1 idea springs to mind :confused: maybe heat the backside of bumper to soften the glue holding them in :confused:

any help before i have a good much appreciated.

dave

dave j gtt
01-01-2010, 14:16
1 good idea for any one with brand new bump strips. if the bumper that you fit them to ever gets damaged, you will need to remove the bumpstrips ;) so dont glue them quite as fast as renault did :cool:

Penfold aka The Dealer
01-01-2010, 14:18
A low heat gun/hair dryer should help remove them... i often use petrol/paint thinner etc to remove glue etc..

dave j gtt
01-01-2010, 15:48
Didnt think of a hair dryer on the front to heat them up a bit. cheers

think i might blow torch the back side of the bumper as well and get it real hot :scared:

Its a win, win, any way, As the bumper needs binning and i need space.

Am wondering if its worth the time and effort, surely someone must have tried to remove and refit ? and was the result worth the time and effort ?

J$£5GTT
01-01-2010, 16:12
get some cheese wire under them.

:cool:

phase i 16 v turbo
01-01-2010, 17:21
Buy new ones :D

Hoolio
01-01-2010, 17:32
At £200 for new ones it has to be worth the effort. You won't be able to use cheeswire as there are two ridges of plastic down the middle on the underside and long plastic pins at each end.

gtmatt
01-01-2010, 18:05
i just cnt get over the price of them , only a 2 years ago they were £18 quid a side:)

dave j gtt
01-01-2010, 19:39
:study: right an idea i got :smokin:

What you guys reckon , if i cut bumper up then grind down the back edge, heat up "strips" and peel of with care. Should do the trick. Give it ago this week :crap:

Big Steve - Raider
01-01-2010, 21:07
Just get yourself a heatgun on the strip & tease it off the bumper making sure you pull the little stake washers off the lugs on the back! ;)

As for re-fitting you need to get some double sided sticky foam tape from e-bay such as THIS (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLACK-DOUBLE-SIDED-FOAM-TAPE-6mm-x-5mtr-SUPER-STRONG_W0QQitemZ180434193719QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item2a02b74d37) then make sure you peel off all the remnants of the old stuff.

Then roll the strip up into a bowl with some water & microwave it for a couple of minutes to ensure the strip is nice & flexible! ;)

Then quickly take it out the microwave, dry it off, Stick the double sided tape on, then stick it to the bumper!! This is what I did with my car to re-use a set of bumper strips given the price of the new ones nowadays :crap:

J$£5GTT
01-01-2010, 21:55
Just get yourself a heatgun on the strip & tease it off the bumper making sure you pull the little stake washers off the lugs on the back! ;)

As for re-fitting you need to get some double sided sticky foam tape from e-bay such as THIS (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLACK-DOUBLE-SIDED-FOAM-TAPE-6mm-x-5mtr-SUPER-STRONG_W0QQitemZ180434193719QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item2a02b74d37) then make sure you peel off all the remnants of the old stuff.

Then roll the strip up into a bowl with some water & microwave it for a couple of minutes to ensure the strip is nice & flexible! ;)

Then quickly take it out the microwave, dry it off, Stick the double sided tape on, then stick it to the bumper!! This is what I did with my car to re-use a set of bumper strips given the price of the new ones nowadays :crap:

2 mins on medium high steve?

:cooter:

Big Steve - Raider
04-01-2010, 09:00
2 mins on medium high steve?

:cooter:

Yeah that's the ticket! :laugh: