PDA

View Full Version : AEI question

LYNCHSTAR
29-12-2009, 20:09
some some reason my car is **** when on max boost ive checked for boost leaks and everything else that needs to be checked but i can hear a sound coming from the aei unit if you put your on it i can hear a ticking sound could this be a problem. if no one has heard it could anyone do me a favour and have a listen to theres and let me know i would appreciated as its doing my head in. thanks:confused:

Nick k
29-12-2009, 23:55
The only time a AEI ticks is when the King lead is not on correctly and is arching across or the King Lead is knacked and is tracking down to the bodywork, Either fault will cause loss of power under load (ie boost)

Make sure the AEI is not getting wet, Check lead is on properly and have a look around the AEI and king lead when dark as you will see the spark tracking down alot better if its knackered.

Cheap king leads never fit correctly and are basically crap!! :disagree: another tell tale sign of a faulty king lead is the exhaust pops alot when you back off at say 3K.

Matt Cole
30-12-2009, 08:36
Could be pre detonation your hearing. What boost are you running?

LYNCHSTAR
30-12-2009, 11:08
I'm running at 12psi with standard carb and t2 turbo with magnacor ht leads hope this could be the trouble because I've tried everyting else. The fuse that sits next to the aei keeps blowing aswell so I have the fuel pump on a manual swith in car. Could this have anything to do with the arcing. Could it be a wireing fault.

LYNCHSTAR
30-12-2009, 11:41
[quote=Tarmac trasher - Nick;121918]The only time a AEI ticks is when the King lead is not on correctly and is arching across or the King Lead is knacked and is tracking down to the bodywork, Either fault will cause loss of power under load (ie boost)

Make sure the AEI is not getting wet, Check lead is on properly and have a look around the AEI and king lead when dark as you will see the spark tracking down alot better if its knackered.

Cheap king leads never fit correctly and are basically crap!! :disagree: another tell tale sign of a faulty king lead is the exhaust pops alot when you back off at say 3K.[/qu

tried looking for arcing and found nothing got a good set of magnacor leads and had standards in past it did it then it sound like something in side of aei this is my second one. gona take plastic case of 2mora and start it with a good visual look and test the diafram with a foot pump. its doing my head in.

Nick k
30-12-2009, 23:53
Could be the coil breaking down in the AEI.

Tony Walker
31-12-2009, 00:23
check rotor cap isnt worn, and plug gaps/condition will also give similar symptoms on full boost. coil hasnt enough time to build the voltage needed to jump the gap.