PDA

View Full Version : Front Strut Top Mount Nut Stuck

Woznaldo
28-12-2009, 07:55
It seems like one of my front Leda struts is getting the better of me. The big nut that holds the top hat on is jammed on and won't seem to budge. Has anyone got any tips for getting this nut off?

So far I've tried a deep offset ring spanner while holding the shaft with a 5mm Allen Key but the key just twisted!

I then bought a cheap impact wrench to use with my compressor but it just seems to spin the shaft. On that note, should I be able to hold the impact wrench from spinning and just feel the hammer effect jerk my hand? The compressor is a quality unit that I paid a fair bit for.

I've also soaked the nut and shaft from all angles and even left it soaking for a few days.

My next idea will be to get one of those super shaft wrenches that increases grip the more effort you use and hold the top of the shaft under the top hat but, I don't want to damage the shaft?

Woz

car.crash
28-12-2009, 09:22
I take mine to a local tyre shop as they have very good impact guns. Or you can grab the top of the shaft with grips to stop it spinning but it may damage the rod but the top of the rod will never enter the shock so it shouldn't cause to much issue. Also try to put the base of the shock in a vice to hold it steady. Are you using spring clamps?

Spooky
28-12-2009, 10:30
Use a slightly oversized torx bit and tap it into the strut top but be careful not to split it.

Then get the spanner around the nut and it'll probably need a couple of sharp blows before it'll break free.

Done this a few times now so I know it works :D

Woznaldo
28-12-2009, 11:35
Thanks guys, I think i'll have to way up the pros and cons on this one. I'll try a tyre shop first just to make sure my gun isn't kaput!

Trevhib
28-12-2009, 11:44
Is the strut still bolted onto the car Woz? If not, refit it so the car is bearing its own weight (i.e. wheels fitted and car off the jack), then loosen the top nut using that impact gun before removing the strut again. It's much easier to get that nut loosened if the leg is still in situ. Be careful not to undo it all the way whilst the car is on the deck.

car.crash
28-12-2009, 11:47
I'm not sure if it's possible to get a socket or spanner onto the top nut if it's fitted to the car.

Trevhib
28-12-2009, 11:57
Well, I'm sure it is because that's exactly how I've previously overcome the problem Woz is having. Swan neck spanner, 21mm or thereabouts, I forget. It is a tight fit mind.

I didn't even need to use an allen key in the shaft IIRC, I was just able to force the spanner round until the nut was loose enough such that when I subsequently removed the strut, undoing the top nut from there was easy.

Kris M
28-12-2009, 12:01
Trev, i presume you did this on your ph1 where the nut it central to the strut top and easily reachably. Ph2 is offset and i dont think you could get the gun on it ???

Trevhib
28-12-2009, 12:04
Hi Kris. Hope your Ph1 is coming along mate :)

No, I had two phase 2's many moons ago and it's those that I'm referring to here. Fully ph2 suspension with the offset centre. Not using a gun but a swan neck spanner bud. :agree:

Spooky
28-12-2009, 12:12
Bring it to me, I'll sort it out :D :p

Woznaldo
07-01-2010, 02:06
Thanks guys. It must be my cheap impact gun as I took the strut to a tyre shop and they had it off in 2 seconds!