PDA

View Full Version : camshafts

jonnyshaw49
27-12-2009, 22:24
hi could anyone give me a quick guide on camshafts?? are the highest lift cams for use on drag etc iive been looking on the camshaft application the piper 390 and 564 have massive lifts, why do most people choose the 285 cam for best power?? is it the best all rounder, im looking at a track engine whats best? how much gain/difference is there in the piper 285 and the timing it so its msm spec?

Markey Mark (BD)
27-12-2009, 22:34
Piper 285 cam is a good allrounder but the choice of cam you want should depend on what turbo you have on your car, a high lift cam with a small turbo wouldn't work really well.

For track i presume you wouldn't be running a massive turbo so i would prob say something like a piper 270 or maybe even the standard cam would be good for track.

car.crash
27-12-2009, 22:36
i have not given the 390 a decent run yet, but idle is very lumpy and at low revs the turbo is not even trying to pull.

jonnyshaw49
27-12-2009, 22:39
i want the car to be quick on the road aswell and maybe an odd drag against mates 106 gti's and fiesta r2 turbos. but not looking for top speed fast, what would be the biggest turbo i could run before getting laggy on a track, i currently run a t2/t25 with 360 bearing, could i go any bigger like t25 or would it be getting laggy? what would best cam to suit be? thanks

Markey Mark (BD)
27-12-2009, 22:44
i want the car to be quick on the road aswell and maybe an odd drag against mates 106 gti's and fiesta r2 turbos. but not looking for top speed fast, what would be the biggest turbo i could run before getting laggy on a track, i currently run a t2/t25 with 360 bearing, could i go any bigger like t25 or would it be getting laggy? what would best cam to suit be? thanks

Its the back end of the turbo that mainly determine how laggy the car is, going bigger wheel and housing will make more lag.
Thing is depending on what cam you choose you have to work out of the housing you have will be too small, if it is it will end up being a restriction.

JRP
27-12-2009, 22:59

Look at the cup cars dude, they run t2's and a more or less standard cam.

Would the vnt be good for track ? on a 270

Markey Mark (BD)
27-12-2009, 23:06
Would the vnt be good for track ? on a 270

Vnt would be good for track due to the way it picks up, quite a few cams have been used with the VNT and all seem to work ok but obviously the wilder the cam the better power you will have higher up in the rev's.

rs250nut
27-12-2009, 23:14
I dont think I would ever use anything bigger than a full T25 for road and track. The current T28 I have fitted is a lag monster even witha .49 hotside. Tight 180 degree 2nd gear corners are a nightmare having to wait to come back on boost can be so frustrating. I hope your valve train is in good nick if your planning on using anything as leary as the 390.

Rob@Backyardracing
27-12-2009, 23:41
Dont forget the more lift or to much lift could come with a minus on a turbo car unless thought out right and its use... 285s are a proven good allround cam tho....:agree:

rs250nut
27-12-2009, 23:43
Dont forget the more lift or to much lift could come with a minus on a turbo car unless thought out right and its use... 285s are a proven good allround cam tho....:agree:

Because of the increased overlap blowing boost out of the exhaust?

Sparkie
27-12-2009, 23:48
i have not given the 390 a decent run yet, but idle is very lumpy and at low revs the turbo is not even trying to pull.

don't worry, when it comes on boost it will be monumental.:agree:

car.crash
27-12-2009, 23:55
don't worry, when it comes on boost it will be monumental.:agree:

I hope so. Only just got the car on the road so I will do 500 miles or so to bed everything in and then let the hard work begin trying to tune it. So far so good and the engine sounds great.

Rob@Backyardracing
27-12-2009, 23:57
And the ramps on the valvetrain, im unsure to what options of lb rated springs and lighter retainers are available for a GT, but with a crazy overlaping cam id be running a bigger turbine and to spool it id be reving higher, therefore id want a light retainer and a spring rating to suit the ramp and rpm but not ko the lobe after 100miles...

jonnyshaw49
28-12-2009, 00:27
so anyone got any good combinations for camshaft and turbo

so is t25 and 285 the best allrounder?

can t25 have different wheels but still be t25? who supplies the best model t25

BluntyR5GTT
28-12-2009, 05:22
what about the ktec fast road cam i hear thats a great all rounder and is good from low revs also ?

Markey Mark (BD)
28-12-2009, 15:26
so anyone got any good combinations for camshaft and turbo

so is t25 and 285 the best allrounder?

can t25 have different wheels but still be t25? who supplies the best model t25

If your sticking with your T25 then i'd go for something like a Piper 270 or something similiar. Are you going to be fast road/track then?

Thing with turbo's is you can have god knows how many turbo's fall under the same catergory but all be different, depends on the spec there built to.
Have a word with Adam L, he could prob help out with identifying what you got and then we could suggest the best cam for you

jonnyshaw49
28-12-2009, 15:32
thanks mate ill try and get some pics up for adam l to see :)

Sparkie
28-12-2009, 22:25
And the ramps on the valvetrain, im unsure to what options of lb rated springs and lighter retainers are available for a GT, but with a crazy overlaping cam id be running a bigger turbine and to spool it id be reving higher, therefore id want a light retainer and a spring rating to suit the ramp and rpm but not ko the lobe after 100miles...

catcams have a good selection.

you could get your own made at tested spring in brum if you wished.