PDA

View Full Version : why is it

TNT Tricky Nicky
27-12-2009, 21:16
good evening, hope you've all had a good christmas

was trying to get a short and to the point title but it seemed like it was never ending so i apologise for the vague title but here goes

why is it that you get one headlight brighter than the other? i see it quite often but the reason i ask now is the girlfriends car now does it.

she had a bulb go (dipped) so went to get a new one, ended up with a pair as it was only about 50p more. being lazy i only changed the blown one, it was brighter so changed the other one for the new one but it was still brighter, i even swapped them round to rule out the bulb but it was still the same side brighter than the other.
i did a bit of :scratch: and thought could be poor earth so cleaned all i could find but still no joy. why has it started to do it as it never did before?

so if anybody could tell me why and give me some ideas on how to sort it out as i get frustrated with people flashing or telling us

raj
27-12-2009, 22:04
could the headlight alignment be out on one of the lamps causing it to look brighter than the other?

Spooky
27-12-2009, 22:07
yes!

car.crash
27-12-2009, 22:09
measure the voltage to each bulb, its common for wires to get old and corrode and suffer from voltage drop. if you rewire them and put them on relays they will soon brighten up and be even.

TNT Tricky Nicky
28-12-2009, 14:29
could the headlight alignment be out on one of the lamps causing it to look brighter than the other?

Good shout, already looked into that unfortunately, just forgot to list it. It went in for mot shortly after bulb change and was ok.

Will have to get myself a new multimeter as some pikey stole mine, will look into it but I don't really wanna rewire it as it's an 02 plate low mileage Clio, no that that really means alot as it's still Renault wiring, also not alot of room to play

Thanks for the suggestions, anything else I could look into?

Kenobi
28-12-2009, 16:05
Try holding your hand over one of your eyes. See if it looks brighter then.

:agree: