PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox leak.

rs250nut
27-12-2009, 19:09
My gearbox is dirty covered in crap and leaking like a sieve, is there a seal kit available and is it a D.I.Y job? Anyone on here attempted it?

Woznaldo
27-12-2009, 20:11
Obviously you can get the different seals but, some require the box to be pulled apart. eg the selector rod seal, like on my box:cry:.

Can you see where it's leaking from? If not give it a good clean and try again after a short drive.

rs250nut
27-12-2009, 21:29
Obviously you can get the different seals but, some require the box to be pulled apart. eg the selector rod seal, like on my box:cry:.

Can you see where it's leaking from? If not give it a good clean and try again after a short drive.

Going to be a bit of a problem now as I have removed the box and cleaned it. It was covered in oil so could have more than one leak. Where did you get the seals from? What did it cost? Cheers in advance.

Woznaldo
28-12-2009, 07:30
I haven't fixed the leak as it would mean a gearbox pull apart and I didn't want to watch springs fly out when I tried it on my own or pay the expense of a pro rebuild. It would be cheaper to find a replacement box!

That said, i've got 2 spare boxes of dubious condition and might pull one of them apart for giggles, just to see what's going on inside?

I'm going to try one of these oil additives that gives the oil a elastic surface tension. It's a 50/50 mix with std oil but if it slows or stops the leak then it's money well spent.

Woznaldo
28-12-2009, 07:32
I'm pretty sure that Renault will still have a few gearbox seals through the normal dealer network and dialogys showed the seal I needed.

Jimmy_GTT
28-12-2009, 09:21
Or you can try this one:

http://www.tnd-france.com/etanche_e.htm

Woznaldo
28-12-2009, 12:00
Or you can try this one:

http://www.tnd-france.com/etanche_e.htm

That's a clever idea, where did you find these guys?

Jimmy_GTT
28-12-2009, 12:22
That's a clever idea, where did you find these guys?

Do not know mate. Someone in our hungarian club forum has bought such kit some years ago and I have bookmarked the page.

mr bean aka pete
28-12-2009, 18:49
you have a big rubber seal on the end cap which i think from memory is three 13mm bolts and the rest is seal just with gasket seal paste only real way of resealing them is pulling it apart :crap: or u can carefully slide it apart and reseal but its very very tricky todo :scared: quite easy to pull apart the gearbox tho just remember where it all goes :D