PDA

View Full Version : Starting a car thats been off Road 2 years

Kenobi
26-12-2009, 08:13
O so fingers crossed and weather permiting, the rtoc legend that is Marky Mark mark is helping me out on tuesday with my Project.

The clio with the volvo engine has been off the road 2 years that I know off.

What must i do before attempting to start her?

Im thinking:-

1. - Put some fresh fuel in. (can I just pour fresh fuel ontop of what evers in there? Would an octane booster help? i've heard that pertrol left over time will have a reducion in octane level like a use by date?

2.- Check oil levels make sure theres some in there and top that bad boy up. What oil does the Volvo engine go for? Whats my best bet to put in considering I have no idea whats already in there?

3.- Water levels thats easy enough, I just try bleed it like a 5? ya know when I fill the water tank up?

Thanks everyone. Can Ya tell I didnt get the volvo Haynes I asked for from Santa?:ho:

Junglist
26-12-2009, 08:19
dont ya take off the tdc lead and turn the engine over to get the juices and lubes flowing a bit :)

philg
26-12-2009, 09:50
good luck :)

Trevhib
26-12-2009, 11:29
Change the oil/filter, trickle charge the battery, check tyres for flat spots if you've let it sit on it's wheels. I'd also change the coolant but that's up to you.

Dilute the old fuel as much as you're able to with fresh petrol of the highest octane you have in your area. As long as you have less than half a tank or so in there at the moment you should be ok. Otherwise I'd drain some. I'd go steady in terms of boost while you use up that first tank.

As Dan says, turn it over for a good while before letting it fire. Keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge if you have one, it should eventually rise while you're still turning over.

Once it's started, let it warm right up (check the thermostat opens) and that the fan kicks in, eyeball the engine bay to see if there are any water leaks.

When you take it for a spin, work/check the brakes carefully before trusting them.

Kenobi
26-12-2009, 16:09
Hi guys. Its not leaving the driveway.

I'm just pwering it up to have a listen etc.

Yeah the cranking with the king lead off will prime the engine wiv oil I believe.

I have supervision so I'm unlikely to do any serious damage lol!!

Trevhib
26-12-2009, 17:00
Well the other advice might have been of use once the thing was started :rolleyes: Anyway, Mark certainly knows what he's doing, so why this thread, or are you unsure of his ability? Oh and was leaving off all forms of gratitude deliberate?

And here's me thinking maybe I'd been hasty in my initial appraisal. :dearme:

clee
26-12-2009, 17:09
grumpy

Trevhib
26-12-2009, 23:06
Lol, true. Generally only when there's a point to it though bud.

Kenobi
27-12-2009, 09:26
Well the other advice might have been of use once the thing was started :rolleyes: Anyway, Mark certainly knows what he's doing, so why this thread, or are you unsure of his ability? Oh and was leaving off all forms of gratitude deliberate?

And here's me thinking maybe I'd been hasty in my initial appraisal. :dearme:

You what?

Mark is a genious, I just like to talk bout stuff with peeps. I wanted to lend a hand when hes here.

Kenobi
29-12-2009, 18:31
Well Marky turned up. With the ever enthusiastic GTnutter. Both Drank tea and laughed heartily at my wreck of a clio.

:agree: Thanks lads. Means a lot to have mates that come all the way to lend a hand.

Markey Mark (BD)
29-12-2009, 18:42
Tell you what mate its alot worse then i thought, will take some doing to get it back on the road in a rush. But you know me, always up for a challenge

Kenobi
29-12-2009, 19:06
Tell you what mate its alot worse then i thought, will take some doing to get it back on the road in a rush. But you know me, always up for a challenge

Was nice to hear it turning over. so thats a starter knocked off the list.

Kenobi
29-12-2009, 19:10
Marky did this:-

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm152/Kenobi_rtoc/2009/DSC01387.jpg

I did this:-

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm152/Kenobi_rtoc/2009/DSC01389.jpg

Yeah this was a right mess. By the looks of it someone had used speaker wire to wire up alternator??????

Not sure why they thought that was a good idea.
The poor engine bay looked like the Johnny 5 robot after the apache smoked it.

Gttnutter
30-12-2009, 22:45
And i did this :laugh: and lots of it ! :laugh:

Kenobi
31-12-2009, 11:41
And i did this :laugh: and lots of it ! :laugh:

Its alright for you mister ive got 2 perfect 5s!!!!!