PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump relay

mightymanx
21-12-2009, 19:08
hi there hopefully some 1 can help? haveing a problem with my car not starting narrowed it down to ither fuel pump or relay got a replace ment relay off ebay but still no joy.although i was told it worked i have no proof so may not work
the question i have is a while ago on these boards i remember reading
a post about being able to bridge the fuel pump relay with ither i bit of wire of paper clip or something
i just wana try this before i try another relay which pins in the relay do i go about bridgeing?

Kris M
21-12-2009, 19:55
bridge the thick white and red wires, this will turn the pump on perminantly. Dont forget to take the wire out after youve finished though :D

James5
21-12-2009, 19:58
bridge the thick white and red wires, this will turn the pump on perminantly. Dont forget to take the wire out after youve finished though :D

:agree: with Mr M to see if fuel pump comes on bridge red and White fir constant feed or yellow and White for ignition key live

Junglist
21-12-2009, 20:00
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=8478

i had this problem a while back , turned out to be tdc wires / plug going to ecu had wriggled out a bit

Spooky
21-12-2009, 20:00
is the tdc sensor lead all good then ?

James5
21-12-2009, 22:17
Ok lets start with the basics -

Is the engine turning on the starter?

Do you have a spark?

If yes to both the above then see if you have fuel going to the carb, remove fuel supply to carb put end of pipe intoan empty clear bottle and crank engine, do you see fuel coming out? No can you hear the fuel pump? You do have fuel in the car?? if you can't hear the fuel pump and you have fuel in the car then do the fuel pump relay wire bridge, if the fuel pump sounds and fuel comes out it is the relay. If not bad wiring to fuel pump or knackered fuel pump.

mightymanx
22-12-2009, 00:17
Ok lets start with the basics -

Is the engine turning on the starter?

Do you have a spark?

If yes to both the above then see if you have fuel going to the carb, remove fuel supply to carb put end of pipe intoan empty clear bottle and crank engine, do you see fuel coming out? No can you hear the fuel pump? You do have fuel in the car?? if you can't hear the fuel pump and you have fuel in the car then do the fuel pump relay wire bridge, if the fuel pump sounds and fuel comes out it is the relay. If not bad wiring to fuel pump or knackered fuel pump.

hi mate the reason am thinking is the fuel system is i pulled the fuel pipe off and turn the key no fuel.
there is fuel in the car that was my first thought but i put some in so its defo not that ive had similar problems with previous 5s ive had and has turned out to be ither fuel pump relay or fuel pump.
i got another fuel pump relay off ebay and it said it was working but it may not thats why i thought id ask about bridgeing the relay wires.
to see if it is the pump or relay i will bridge the wires and see what happens thanx foe your help ill keep u updated :ho:

mightymanx
24-12-2009, 00:53
right bit of a up date tried bridgeing the wires and no life so fingers crossed its the fuel pump ill get 1 of 1 of u nice chaps on here and fingers crossed she will fire up :ho:

THE MASTER
24-12-2009, 01:06
look out the master is back

the fuel pump does not come in via the relay if you just put ign on . the relay gets a signal from the ign when the engine is cranked over .

also if there is any fuel in the carb the engine will start (but will not run for long)

basic rule is . . fuel and spark and compretion . all three are easy to cheack :ho:

mightymanx
24-12-2009, 02:34
look out the master is back

the fuel pump does not come in via the relay if you just put ign on . the relay gets a signal from the ign when the engine is cranked over .

also if there is any fuel in the carb the engine will start (but will not run for long)

basic rule is . . fuel and spark and compretion . all three are easy to cheack :ho:

i have 2 but no fuel i bridged the relay like above but still nothing so what else can i try master?

Junglist
24-12-2009, 07:24
hook a battery straight up to your fuel pump to see if it works :).

have a wriggle of the wires at tdc sensor and ecu (if these arnt in properly the relay wont click in)