PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start?

sphinX
19-12-2009, 19:29
Hi guys, don't have time to search the forums...

Was on the m6 north last night crazy traffic and noticed my fan wire came off and so wasn't coming on. Turned off the car to let it cool down briefly before i went over to hard shoulder (stand still traffic) went to fire her back up again and she wouldn't go.

Pushed it to the hard shoulder, waiting 5mins and then tried again and it fired up. Fixed the fan wire and went on my way.

Today I have tried to start the car again and the same thing is happening. Clicks once and then just shuts off.

Is the starter motor caput or is it just the fact that it's cold and the battery has no power? Going to call out the RAC tomorrow as I need to get home.. could try and jump start it but have to stop again for petrol which means turning it off again haha.

Anyway, anything I should check for? Checked the oil levels and they are fine.

sphinX
19-12-2009, 19:36
Sorry guys just had a quick look and this seems to be the same as mine.

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=11722&highlight=starter+motor

GTphil
19-12-2009, 19:53
You can put petrol in when it's running;) Just don't spill any:laugh:

jonnyshaw49
20-12-2009, 11:37
mine did exactly the same yesterday, came to start it and just one click and nothing, did it a few times then seemed as tho something had freed up like starter and started no problems, what is this a sign of? dodgy starter or just the cold, dont think its low battery because i had the jump leads on it.

sphinX
20-12-2009, 18:26
Was the battery. Found out that the battery on the car, put on by previous owner, was too big.. alternator was there to charge the smaller/normal battery and so the life of the battery was significantly reduced.

Stuck a new one on all snug and now even the lights on the dash are brighter haha, little did I know what was going on.