PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Settings for Fast Road & Light Track Work

Woznaldo
18-12-2009, 05:29
OK, I've done a bit of a search and found lots of info on what suspension components to use but not a great deal on actual settings. Here's a good thread on components:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=5241&highlight=suspension+settings

I know that the Haynes Manual has all the standard settings but I'd like an idea of what people are using that's different i.e. more camber/caster, different toe settings etc.

I currently have a Leda Coilover set up that is adjustable for bump & rebound together and has some amber adjustment via elongated upper hub mount hole on the strut.

Obviously the rear doesn't have as much adjustment in std form but I know the Clio boys use shims?

Any advice appreciated:ho:

Woz

Woznaldo
20-12-2009, 04:46
Do the Cup cars settings differ from std cars? If so what are they?

Woznaldo
23-12-2009, 12:27
I'm aware that some of the Clio guys use some kind of shimming to adjust the rear camber. Has this/can this be done for the GTT?

Woznaldo
14-01-2010, 11:46
I just wanted to post up Mark Fish's reply to an email asking the same questions.

"I would suggest 3 degrees neg camber and 10 minutes toe out. Set the dampers about half way. For the front to start with.(More camber will help but may make traction off the line poor.)"

"The only way to change rear geometry on 5gt turbo axle is to use massive heat and bend the arm. I would not recommend it . OR big engineering to machine off the stub pin and make plates and new pin etc. Set rear at full hard to reduce the under steer?!!"

Is anyone running 3 deg neg camber on their road car?

RussellT
14-01-2010, 18:22
I was but I have had to take of my adjustable top mounts to comply with a change to the regs for speed events for the coming season. For info when competing I run my Ledas 3 clicks off full hard if its dry. The rears run on the bump stops :cool:

Woznaldo
14-01-2010, 20:35
Thanks Russell, I've got 250lb/in springs at the moment but, the car is fairly stripped out with more weight loss on the way and some think they might be a little soft? I think the std spring rates are about 170lb/in?

Ian S
14-01-2010, 21:36
You could try 300lb/inch springs.

I had 250's and very briefly drove a car with 300's and they seemed like they might be OK for road use.

Woznaldo
14-01-2010, 22:34
Cheers Ian, I'm going to give the 250's a go anyway but if they're too soft I'll give some 300s a go.

Woznaldo
04-04-2010, 07:44
I'm going to fire this thread up again as I've been doing a bit more reading and would like to get some more input.

I don't currently have adjustable top mounts but was planning to get some so I could play with camber and even up the caster but, after reading a thread on PH about a 106 track build, would like to know the benefits of adding some more.

Are the track guys and gals running more caster than std?

From what I can work out from the Haynes Manual, I think std caster should be about 3.5 deg (not sure if this is ph 1 or 2?) and I was thinking of increasing this to 6 deg so I get more camber when turning the wheel and hopefully have to use less static camber?

Thoughts?

James5
04-04-2010, 10:33
Not played with camber yet but have been playing with springs rates on my spax rsx and the standard springs are 8" 300lbs I am in the process of trying shorter springs (to lower the car some more) 6" instead of 8".
I have tried 6" 300lbs, 375lbs going to try some 450lbs and 550lbs springs in the next week as I have found the 300 and 375 lbs to be to soft for my needs. Once I have found the correct spring I will plaY with camber.
With regards to the adjustable rebound the rears are 2 clicks of fully hard and the fronts are set at fully hard at the mo but everytime I change the springs I adjust the rebound

Woznaldo
04-04-2010, 23:48
Not played with camber yet but have been playing with springs rates on my spax rsx and the standard springs are 8" 300lbs I am in the process of trying shorter springs (to lower the car some more) 6" instead of 8".
I have tried 6" 300lbs, 375lbs going to try some 450lbs and 550lbs springs in the next week as I have found the 300 and 375 lbs to be to soft for my needs. Once I have found the correct spring I will plaY with camber.
With regards to the adjustable rebound the rears are 2 clicks of fully hard and the fronts are set at fully hard at the mo but everytime I change the springs I adjust the rebound

I'm running 250lb springs and they feel fairly firm. I thinking of trying 300's in the future but not until I've got the car set right with what I've got now, so I can give the 250's a fair assessment.

Andrew Cooke
05-04-2010, 09:03
http://www.racingaspirations.com/?p=292

I wouldn't go over 150cpm

Woznaldo
05-04-2010, 11:40
http://www.racingaspirations.com/?p=292

I wouldn't go over 150cpm

That's way too big a jump in knowledge. Baby steps Mr Cooke, baby steps.

Interesting site though. :)