PDA

View Full Version : Louvered bonnet in the rain

scratcher
14-12-2009, 21:50
I fitted my louvered bonnet last week after my rebuild and the car started fine.
Today it poured down and the car wouldn't start up :( It turns over fine but doesn't fire up. I put new leads on as I had them in the car but still nothing.
I'll try wd40ing the dizzy inside tomorrow just incase.
All that looked as though it had gotten wet was the carb.
The AEI is on the front of the fire wall but wan't soaked, could the smallest bit of water got into it and ruined things?
What can be affected that would stop it firing up?

Wow, that looks like loads of info :laugh:

Cheers.

car.crash
14-12-2009, 21:53
water goes down the mixture screw and into the carb if you have center louveres.

Markey Mark (BD)
14-12-2009, 21:55
Start with the basic's mate, has it got spark, fuel, etc.

If the louves aren't directly over anything which doesn't like getting wet, i:e the AEI or dizzy, then there shouldn't be a real problem.

scratcher
14-12-2009, 21:58
water goes down the mixture screw and into the carb if you have center louveres.

The culprit!
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/pimpscratcher/Renault/SDC13514.jpg

:scared: Great :laugh: I'll take it out tomorrow and give it a blast through. A tiny bit of water shouldn't cause any harm should it?

car.crash
14-12-2009, 22:01
you can put a small cover on the inside to divert the water, but to be honest your best off selling it to me.

scratcher
14-12-2009, 22:03
Mark, I could smell the fuel, but I wasn't in the mood to start messing about in the rain :laugh:
I used it yesterday and it was great, it just seems as though the rain had effected it some how.

Markey Mark (BD)
14-12-2009, 22:05
As you said pull the dizzy cap off and check it's not wet, make sure its dry

car.crash
14-12-2009, 22:08
http://www.journalism.co.uk/staging/assets/33//SYBcanLOW.jpg_resized_240_807.jpeg

scratcher
14-12-2009, 22:21
:laugh: Might give that a go on my tractor :agree:
Loads of people seem to want that bonnet.

I'll wip the dizzy off when I get in tomorrow and give the mixture screw a clean up too.
I've drawn up a plan to cover the vents but still let the hot air out... Better pinch some trunking from work tomorrow ;)

Maka
14-12-2009, 23:36
i have the exact same bonnet
and ive never had an issue with rain stoping play, if that makes sense.
does look good though when its thrashing down and you get the steam off the back of the turbo come bellowing out!

o and the chuffer whistles over 30mph!

Duncan Grier
14-12-2009, 23:46
You have to loo at the positive and negative pressure of the R5 bonnet. Looks good and helps in traffic but not the best when driving. Hence the location of vents when I did the vag 5 bonnet and not having a load above the turbo ;)

DG

BluntyR5GTT
15-12-2009, 05:15
could the rain get into the induction kit if you have an open cone one ?

5teve L
15-12-2009, 09:25
My old bonnet did it so I fixed a plate of ally to the bonnet above the carb, fixed it with small self tappers to the strengthening parts either side IIRC.

Trevhib
15-12-2009, 10:19
Looks like the passenger side vent is quite close to the connector of death. Wouldn't be a problem while driving but if stood overnight, the direction that rain water would take, looking at the louvres, it probably wouldn't be far away.

rs250nut
15-12-2009, 10:21
My old bonnet did it so I fixed a plate of ally to the bonnet above the carb, fixed it with small self tappers to the strengthening parts either side IIRC.

:agree

When its rained hard before ive banged some gaffer tape over the back of the vents, job done:)

minty83
15-12-2009, 11:07
sorry to hi jack this thread but i was just about to start another with a similar problem.. iv fitted a motorsport engine cover on the exige and need to cover the vent but still need to let the heat out? any suggestions..
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=892&pictureid=9642
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=892&pictureid=9643

Spooky
15-12-2009, 11:29
I know a few Elise owners who use car covers in this type of weather unless you can garage the car :)

J$£5GTT
15-12-2009, 17:04
maybe you could get some kind of channel made up or buy some,carbon fibre is an option as is perspex,cut to size an slide it in the channel under the grooves,loads of ways you can do it..assuming the grooves are the problem??

:)

scratcher
15-12-2009, 17:20

Thats what car.crash suggested from seeing it, this seems the easiest option :agree:
Big Steves picked up some ally for me from work so I'll get on that tonight.

Trev, it doesn't quite get to to connector of doom but it is very close. It's right above the air filter though so I'll cover that one over too.

royz
15-12-2009, 20:37
Looks like the passenger side vent is quite close to the connector of death. Wouldn't be a problem while driving but if stood overnight, the direction that rain water would take, looking at the louvres, it probably wouldn't be far away.
i was worried about this on mine as a few pins were showing a bit of green on them meaning they were getting wet so i filled the connector with grease after cleaning the pins up

hydrotec78
15-12-2009, 22:21
You could always incase the plug in a rubber sleave ! This will stop any probs in the future. You can do the same to the dissi, I have done this on many marine engines and it works a treat.

Im planing to rewire mine using a iso water prove connectors to stop all water and moisture.

Duncan Grier
16-12-2009, 16:29
Paul there are a few things to mod that cover but tbh while driving you should be fine, just cover when parked up / garage. Can't remember what the std cover does to get around this - on the vx people mount a sheild between the vent and engine but never bothered with mine tbh and just cover vent over night if out in the rain

And the car will try to kill you in bad weather lol

Suspect you will have to be careful no to restrict the venting setup or you may make it worse than oe

DG