PDA

View Full Version : why is it smokey?

Slim
13-12-2009, 12:44
Hi guys..

need your opinions please.

My 5 smokes blue (oil) a little.. when just started. The warmer it gets it smokes more until its fully warm.. then seems to stop. While driving it seems fine. Just dont like all this smoke when i have to start and warm her up.

what could it be?

thanks

Big Supes
13-12-2009, 13:28
Sounds like the valve stem seals aren't doing their job anymore to me.

hydrotec78
13-12-2009, 13:37
Hi guys..

need your opinions please.

My 5 smokes blue (oil) a little.. when just started. The warmer it gets it smokes more until its fully warm.. then seems to stop. While driving it seems fine. Just dont like all this smoke when i have to start and warm her up.

what could it be?

thanks

It sounds like it could be the rings your having problems with as valve seals would always leak if there gone, but when the rings warm up they expand to feel the gap.

when you first start the car dose it breath at all out of the oil cap?

Slim
13-12-2009, 13:47
It sounds like it could be the rings your having problems with as valve seals would always leak if there gone, but when the rings warm up they expand to feel the gap.

when you first start the car dose it breath at all out of the oil cap?

when u say 'breath out of the oil cap' do you mean does it smoke out of there? I shall check... but what am i looking for? p.s i also have a catch tank so will check the that too wen i first start it.

If its the rings... is there anything i can do? other than rebuild it!? any thing i can put in the oil?

Slim
13-12-2009, 16:39
Sounds like the valve stem seals aren't doing their job anymore to me.
thats wat i thought....not sure... mite wait till it gets worse.. :coffee:

Allan_100
13-12-2009, 17:57
If its the rings... is there anything i can do? other than rebuild it!? any thing i can put in the oil?

There are additives you can buy but they can only do so much. To be fair, I would get the bottom end done. Doesnt cost much if you can do it yourself. Iv just done an engine rebuild for my project and bought new piston rings and had the liners cleaned and honed. The rings were £60 and the honing cost me £20. It might sound like a hassle but at least the jobs done properly plus you dont want the rings breaking up when your driving!!

Adam 005
13-12-2009, 20:07
Sounds like valve stem seals to me.If you let the car over run down a hill then pick up the thottle at the bottem does it puff a load of smoke out.
Worn rings tend to cause smoke at all times.
If you have any worries do a compression test:)

Markey Mark (BD)
13-12-2009, 20:14
As Adam says do a compression test to see what it says, will eliminate weather its to do with rings or liners. Also do quick test like Paul says, take oil cap off and see if you got pressure coming out of the oi cap.

To me does sound like worn valve guides and not just the seals, but do check anyway mate.

Big Supes
13-12-2009, 22:16
If it's bothering you that much, I'd be more inclined to do a leakdown test over a standard compression test.

:agree: