PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Petrol Tanks !

hydrotec78
12-12-2009, 19:57
How unlucky can i get ! Today myself and Marky Mark changed my tank due to the normal bung leak. And what do you reacon happened when the juice was added ?

Yep the bugger leaked :mad: :mad: :mad:

Im now on my 3rd leaky tank, dont smoke near the raider if you go down the ace next week ! :laugh: :cry: :laugh:

Time to sorce a internal alloy tank i think !

Markey Mark (BD)
12-12-2009, 20:02
Your annoyed mate, you weren't the one under it 3 times! :laugh:;)

One thing i have to ask, anyone know if there is a 5 tank that come without the bung? Will cure the problem easier i recon.

soapymech
12-12-2009, 20:02
you could have had mine but gingers just beat you to it for his raider

hydrotec78
12-12-2009, 20:05

One thing i have to ask, anyone know if there is a 5 tank that come without the bung? Will cure the problem easier i recon.

So where was i then ? i reacon its your fault this one leaks anyway, seems do did run over it ! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hydrotec78
12-12-2009, 20:07
you could have had mine but gingers just beat you to it for his raider

Trust you !:laugh: :laugh:

Markey Mark (BD)
12-12-2009, 20:08
So where was i then ?

Handing me the spanners like a good apprentice you plum! :laugh::laugh::laugh:;)

r5 rich
12-12-2009, 20:11
I have a perfect tank..... its still attached to the 5 you want though:wasntme:

hydrotec78
Handing me the spanners like a good apprentice you plum! :laugh::laugh::laugh:;)

if it wasnt for the fact i am going to let you have the plessure of fitting the 4th one I would slap you for that coment !:laugh: :wasntme: :laugh:

soapymech
Trust you !:laugh: :laugh:always hear to help:laugh:

hydrotec78
12-12-2009, 20:12
always hear to help:laugh:

If thats what you call help i dont want or need any ! :laugh: :laugh:

but saying that if you did have a tank it would have been good to see Mark up at your flat again !:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Gttnutter
12-12-2009, 20:14
You are unlucky paul...If its possible, test your next tank or repair by filling it up with water when the tank is out. just drain it out well

soapymech
If thats what you call help i dont want or need any ! :laugh: :laugh:

but saying that if you did have a tank it would have been good to see Mark up at your flat again !:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:im suprised he didnt go dizzy fitting that tank:p:laugh:

Markey Mark (BD)
if it wasnt for the fact i am going to let you have the plessure of fitting the 4th one I would slap you for that coment !:laugh: :wasntme: :laugh:

Shut up you tart!:D

Its ok if you do get one off Mark i'll wait downstairs this time:laugh:

hydrotec78
12-12-2009, 20:16
im suprised he didnt go dizzy fitting that tank:p:laugh:

I think he sould be thanking me really for the kicks ! you would have to pay good money for a head like that !

hydrotec78
12-12-2009, 20:17
Shut up you tart!:D

Its ok if you do get one off Mark i'll wait downstairs this time:laugh:

Now whos the tart !

Shane P
12-12-2009, 20:19

How big is the bung and where is it? I am sure i have looked at mine and not seen one, unless its topside of course?

Markey Mark (BD)
12-12-2009, 20:21
How big is the bung and where is it? I am sure i have looked at mine and not seen one, unless its topside of course?

Look up the side of the tank on the drivers side, half way up in the middle is a Yellow bung. God knows why they put it there but it always leaks from there, i'm sure i've seen a tank without it before but not too sure if it was off a gt or a campus.

hydrotec78
12-12-2009, 20:21

Its on the right hand of the tank its about 1 inch in diameter, and is yellow if this helps.

hydrotec78
12-12-2009, 20:22
Look up the side of the tank on the drivers side, half way up in the middle is a Yellow bung. God knows why they put it there but it always leaks from there, i'm sure i've seen a tank without it before but not too sure if it was off a gt or a campus.

Check out your campus and see if its the same !

chris5sco
12-12-2009, 21:06
i took my tank out cut the yellow bung off, and took the tank to a plastic welding company they welded a patch over the hole. then replaced the fuel sender seal with the repair kit from renault. got it pressure tested at a radiator recon company up here tanks now good as new alot cheaper than the £300 odd quid that renault wanted for a new one . i'm going to be selling the 5 soon if i got a decent offer i would sell the tank.:)

Slim
12-12-2009, 21:55
why dont u just seal it wiv a sealent ?

i did and so did my bro... has been fine ever since... :sad2:

Markey Mark (BD)
12-12-2009, 21:56
why dont u just seal it wiv a sealent ?

i did and so did my bro... has been fine ever since... :sad2:

Has done on all the tanks, all leaked still

Pete@Backyard Racing
12-12-2009, 22:04
ive got a non leaking tank 4 sale on the classifides atm ;)

car.crash
12-12-2009, 22:16
You are unlucky paul...If its possible, test your next tank or repair by filling it up with water when the tank is out. just drain it out well

thats all well and good as long as you dont plum it in :p

scratcher
12-12-2009, 23:05

What if you test it with petrol, then drain it into jerry cans?

hydrotec78
12-12-2009, 23:12
What if you test it with petrol, then drain it into jerry cans?

Now you come up with the good ideas ! i was told the 2nd tank was good and the 3rd came off my old raider, sods law i guess !

back to only putting ten litters in at a time now until xmas comes and goes !:cry:

bye_all_c_ya
13-12-2009, 12:04
ive got a tank in the garage if your passing you can collect it and try it FREE of course

Rideumofo
13-12-2009, 12:48
Darn it me got leaky tank aswell, is it common for the 5's? I got a new tank which I aint put on yet, but still baffled.

Gttnutter
13-12-2009, 13:28
Yeah fairly common, I think hydro has just been unlucky. I've yet to experiance this problem

hydrotec78
13-12-2009, 13:30
Yeah fairly common, I think hydro has just been unlucky. I've yet to experiance this problem

you can if you want mate im always happy to share !:D

Rideumofo
13-12-2009, 16:28
lol....its a pain in the ass when you fill up with top £££ fuel then come back to the car after paying and seeing a waterfall of fuel pouring out under the car!!

Where is the common fault found on the tank??

when removed the other tank from the other 5 I saw so many possible reasons.

Markey Mark (BD)
13-12-2009, 16:30
lol....its a pain in the ass when you fill up with top £££ fuel then come back to the car after paying and seeing a waterfall of fuel pouring out under the car!!

Where is the common fault found on the tank??

Have a read further up the thread mate, there's a description of where the bung is on the tank in one of my posts.

car.crash
13-12-2009, 16:31
damn this thread just reminded me that my tank is leaking too :(. i had forgotton all about it.

edit it was my clio that leaked :smokin:

Alex
13-12-2009, 17:35
i took my tank out cut the yellow bung off, and took the tank to a plastic welding company they welded a patch over the hole. then replaced the fuel sender seal with the repair kit from renault. got it pressure tested at a radiator recon company up here tanks now good as new alot cheaper than the £300 odd quid that renault wanted for a new one . i'm going to be selling the 5 soon if i got a decent offer i would sell the tank.:)

That's exactly what I did - saves alot of messing around aswell! :agree:

Rideumofo
13-12-2009, 18:23
Ideal cheers guys!

r5 rich
13-12-2009, 19:48
I still got a nice mint petrol tank on the car;)

rs250nut
13-12-2009, 19:54
I still got a nice mint petrol tank on the car;)

Wow:rolleyes:

r5 rich
13-12-2009, 20:01
Wow:rolleyes:

it is if you want to think that Paul wants the petrol tank and my car attached to it so can cut out on the comments as we have been talking via pm about it;)

hydrotec78
13-12-2009, 21:15
it is if you want to think that Paul wants the petrol tank and my car attached to it so can cut out on the comments as we have been talking via pm about it;)

Need mine to go first ! plus the only real reason im interested is because i know who has done all the work that you have had done :D and i want a striped out 5 !

phase i 16 v turbo
13-12-2009, 22:10
I have binned good tanks as they have been taking up room.

Nick k
13-12-2009, 23:22
The campus tank has no bunge in it, But no baffle either!! So when you go around a island with less than a 1/4 of a tank on board and floor it, 200 yards up the road you lose fuel pressure for afew seconds which as we all no is not good when on boost + that chav in a saxo you have just nailed will come by you waving :disagree: :(

I changed my tank due to this to a GT one and guess what' it leaked :cry: There is no way you can get the baffle out of the tank either to swap it over.

So got to arse about again taking off fuel pumps/filters, hand brake cables etc to repair it, GGrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Lewis
14-12-2009, 00:01
The last 5's with the 1390cc engine and single point injection use the same tank as a gtt as far as dialogys says... I'm hoping so anyway, although I'm gonna have to take the tank sender out now to check the baffle is there and put my mind at rest.

philg
14-12-2009, 17:08
I'm just looking into this, i bought my car and the lad told me it will only take £15 of petrol, so it sounds like the same thing. I take it its the bung that sits back in the tack about 2 inches.

This is going to sound silly but will filling with water to check it not give me issues when i put it all back together?

Phil

hydrotec78
14-12-2009, 18:02
I'm just looking into this, i bought my car and the lad told me it will only take £15 of petrol, so it sounds like the same thing. I take it its the bung that sits back in the tack about 2 inches.

This is going to sound silly but will filling with water to check it not give me issues when i put it all back together?

Phil

You need to make sure it has fully dried out first. in this weather it can be a pain. in the past i have welded tanks, before doing this i ust to flush them with water, then after welding them leave them out to dry off in front of a rad, but with a plastic tank its a bit harder !

If it was in a dry hot place the water would heat up and air off. then there would be no fear of any other problems. also it gets rid of any crap thats in the tank which in my 5 it loves to block the idel jet !

hydrotec78
14-12-2009, 18:05
I have binned good tanks as they have been taking up room.

Dame you ! :laugh: you could always get anougher unit, but saying that with the amount of spares you have mike you wou need a intire industral estate !:laugh::D:laugh: