PDA

View Full Version : Start of project so here goes! (Clutch issue)...

5GTTurbo
06-12-2009, 14:28
Hello all,
Ive not had my GT Turbo for long after 4 years of being without one (far too long :sad2:) but now i have taken the plunge and have got myself another phase 2!
I expected it to be a bit of a project so a bit of advice is needed...
First of all, when on the test drive, it was hard to engage gears, especially 1st, and to do so you needed to literally push the clutch pedal to the floor, which then had a very low biting point. In addition, no matter how delicately or carefully trying to select reverse, it would always crunch when engaged-a bone shaking noise lol The previous owner had told me that there was an issue with the clutch cable, so.....
Over this past week i have done a bit of research on here and have flushed and refilled fresh gearbox oil and changed the clutch cable (albeit not a genuine Renault one which i know is recommended)
However now it is worse than ever, having to drive home in 1st all the way-luckily only 2 streets away as it was almost impossible to engage 1st and "impossible" to get second...
Ive been told that the pressure plate on the clutch is shot!
What do you reckon from the above?
Any advice would be appriciated! :)

TrixNFlix
06-12-2009, 16:59
Get some washers on your clutch cable. Defo sounds like this is the problem to me.

Nayls
06-12-2009, 17:16
fit a genuine cable 1st & see if that sorts it!

the non genuine one will only snap anyway & could leave you stranded somewhere :(

Brigsy
06-12-2009, 19:06
Fit a gen renault cable & reset the clutch ratchet, should sort it.

J$£5GTT
06-12-2009, 21:46
Fit a gen renault cable & reset the clutch ratchet, should sort it.

:agree:

5GTTurbo
07-12-2009, 19:09
I know they say the treaded pattern on the aftermarket cables dont go with the 5 GT Turbo but surely a new cable, regardless of whether Renault ot not, shouldve at least made it a "bit" better, not worse. This leads me to believe its not the clutch cable at all (but at the same time i dont want to waste money on an un-necessary clutch when i could spend on other goodies ;))

Markey Mark (BD)
07-12-2009, 19:14
You still got the old cable? It may be abit of a pain but remove the new one and lay the cables next to each other and see if there is a difference between the length's. If the new one is longer the that will cause your problem

5GTTurbo
07-12-2009, 19:26
You still got the old cable? It may be abit of a pain but remove the new one and lay the cables next to each other and see if there is a difference between the length's. If the new one is longer the that will cause your problem

Good point, i dont have the old cable though as the garage binned it, i didnt even think of that. However....
Before i got the clutch cable done (whilst i was changing the gearbox oil) the old cable didnt seem to be 'taught' and sagged below the underside. Now, with the replacement one fitted, its more rigid towards the underbody so i dunno.
It'll be a hassle again changing the clutch cable just for the sake of it being a genuine Renault one?!...

5GTTurbo
07-12-2009, 19:41
Oh & "IF" anyone would be willing to tackle this that is near the Middlesex/London/Herts area then let me know. Ive tried contacting Mr Cook but to no avail :confused:

James5
07-12-2009, 19:43
Oh & "IF" anyone would be willing to tackle this that is near the Middlesex/London/Herts area then let me know. Ive tried contacting Mr Cook but to no avail :confused:

Pm markey mark I am sure he could do it blind folded

hydrotec78
07-12-2009, 19:56

You have a pm mate !

hydrotec78
07-12-2009, 20:00

you have a pm

Markey Mark (BD)
07-12-2009, 22:57

More than happy to have alook for you mate if you're really stuck ;)

5GTTurbo
08-12-2009, 14:44

Ah ok, whereabouts are you though mate?

J$£5GTT
08-12-2009, 15:17
seems to be a hassle with what cable you have now which aint a renault one,get genuine renault cable an go from there,easy to do with a strong piece of cord an some grease....;)

5GTTurbo
09-12-2009, 20:37

Ah cheers, thats much appriciated, but my garage only charges 35 quid to do the cable so itd be no point you coming all this way, fuel, time etc just for me to give you that kinda money, however... "If" a new clutch is needed then i would consider my options with someone fitting it but will see how it goes!

Adam L
09-12-2009, 20:48
Where exactly are you in Middlesex, it's a pretty big borough.

5GTTurbo
10-12-2009, 21:12
Where exactly are you in Middlesex, it's a pretty big borough.

Im in Greenford, Middlesex, not far from the A40 and about 4-5miles from Ace Cafe if thats a pointer! :D

5GTTurbo
19-12-2009, 16:50
UPDATE: As of about an hour ago a new, genuine Renault clutch cable has been fitted, the pedal ratchet was said to be in a good way & the gear box oil has been topped to brimming on the filler cap BUT im back to where i started with, when hot after running for approx 20mins, reverse crunching when engaged and first can be difficult but when the ignition is turned off all gears select silky smooth, no problems :confused:
I dont know what to think afterall!

Brigsy
19-12-2009, 17:16
Have you slipped the pedal ratchet so it self adjusts? if you have the clutch may be shot.

5GTTurbo
19-12-2009, 17:54
Have you slipped the pedal ratchet so it self adjusts? if you have the clutch may be shot.

Yeah, my mate who done the work is a Renault mechanic and the self adjusting was said to be in a good nick.
We just cant think how, when the ignition is off, all gears engage perfectly inc. reverse but once started (and at operating temp) it'll always crunch no matter how delicately you try to engage reverse and 1st is tough to get into, usually needing to release and then re-apply the clutch one or two times

Brigsy
19-12-2009, 18:00
Have you released the ratchet & pushed pedal to the floor, let it raise up on its own though? It msut be done when the cable/clutch is renewed.

If that doesnt work the clutch/pivot bush etc is probably dead, will be box off to inspect. Your mechanic should know all this though, basic stuff?:coffee:

Markey Mark (BD)
19-12-2009, 18:11
I'm wondering if the plastic ball on the pivot in the gearbox for the fork arm has worn away

5GTTurbo
19-12-2009, 18:18
In fairness, he did say itd probabily be a box off job but im hoping rather stupidly it wont be the g'box! :(
The cheapest ive found for a re-con box is £369 from CGB Motorsports, which at this time of the year is a very big sledgehammer + ive heard mixed reviews/feedback about them but i cant comment as ive never dealt with them.

Brigsy
19-12-2009, 18:23
The box is probably ok, new clutch £80 ish & pivot bush is pennies..

5GTTurbo
19-12-2009, 18:31
The box is probably ok, new clutch £80 ish & pivot bush is pennies..

:agree: i would probabily go for the Sachs Heavy Duty clutch, £78odd @ EuroCarParts.
So the clutch change should be next on my agenda?!...

Markey Mark (BD)
19-12-2009, 18:31
Even if it was the gearbox (which i doubt it is) its only about £200 max to have it rebuilt yourself, place i get them done charges about that.

I'm with Brigsy, sounds like clutch or what i suggested

5GTTurbo
19-12-2009, 18:45
Cheers for the advice guys, i'll look into both!

Gttnutter
19-12-2009, 20:02
You'll be able to get a used box alot cheaper through here, I may have a spare low milege box but im just waiting from a response to see i've sold it. Let me know if needs be

car.crash
19-12-2009, 20:10
Yeah, my mate who done the work is a Renault mechanic and the self adjusting was said to be in a good nick.
We just cant think how, when the ignition is off, all gears engage perfectly inc. reverse but once started (and at operating temp) it'll always crunch no matter how delicately you try to engage reverse and 1st is tough to get into, usually needing to release and then re-apply the clutch one or two times

when i put the wrong gear oil in my car it would drive fine for 20 mins or so, then i couldnt get any gears unless i killed the engine and then selected with engine off and when i depressed the clutch and started the car it would still drive on its own. filled with correct oil and it cured the issue immediatly.

rs250nut
19-12-2009, 22:43
:agree: i would probabily go for the Sachs Heavy Duty clutch, £78odd @ EuroCarParts.
So the clutch change should be next on my agenda?!...

I would go for a green box valeo all day long over a sachs clutch. I used a sachs clutch (because gsf tucked me up) for about 1000 miles and one r.t.o.c pod day and it was fecked, slipping like an eel through your fingers.:)

Tony Walker
19-12-2009, 23:05
Before you do all that just make sure ur clutch ratchet is adjusted correctly even over adjust it a little just to test it, mines gone completely and have to set it everytime i drive and keep my foot on the pedal. Its much easier to check than the clutch. try the silly things first. oh and cross your fingers as you try it.

5GTTurbo
20-12-2009, 08:18
Cheers once again guys, ive had a few fellow enthusiasts off here willing to take a look and help which is much appriciated!
As for the gearbox oil mentioned, i used Comma 75-90w which i believe is the correct grade

r5 rich
20-12-2009, 09:08
I got a mint gearbox coming up for sale in the very near furture;)

car.crash
20-12-2009, 09:13
75-90 is the right oil. Slap a new clutch and a good used box In. Second hand boxes are worth around 50 quid.