PDA

View Full Version : persistant oil leak

BluntyR5GTT
06-12-2009, 07:30
right my gt turbo has an oil leak and i cant find where its coming from we have renewed the sump and all gaskets along with new oil cooler seals and still it leaks, im taking my car back on monday night to get to the bottom of the problem, oh it also has a slight leak coming from the right side if looking from the front of the engine also ?

if anyone could give any pointers that would be great :)

J$£5GTT
06-12-2009, 10:05
right side of engine looking from the front or right side looking from the back?

could be coming from timing chain cover,maybe creeping from a not sealed/loose rocker cover?..or the washers on top are perished ?

:):agree:

Markey Mark (BD)
06-12-2009, 10:26
Here's a few possibiliteies for you mate

Oil feed from bloke
Oil pressure switch (had a few before leak from the sensor itself)
Triangular cover plate on front of engine
Rocker cover (leaking down)
Oil return hose
Timing cover
Crankshaft seal

GTphil
06-12-2009, 11:49
The crankshaft oil seal can leak even if replaced as it wears a small grove in the crank and if the new seal sits on this groove it can still leak. :(

The way around it is to either push the seal further in than it was before or not as far so it sits off the grove the previouse seal has worn.:)

Also the sump can still leak with new gaskets e.t.c if not enough sealant has been used, it litterally needs cakeing on!;) even over the half moon shaped seals it tells you to not put any sealant on in the haynes manual.:)

dave j gtt
06-12-2009, 13:16
Here's a few possibiliteies for you mate

Oil feed from bloke
Oil pressure switch (had a few before leak from the sensor itself)
Triangular cover plate on front of engine
Rocker cover (leaking down)
Oil return hose
Timing cover
Crankshaft seal

i'll pop a geuss at : Oil pressure switch (had a few leak from the sensor itself) on my car and a few others ive seen and fixed.

BluntyR5GTT
06-12-2009, 15:04
right thanks guys ill get all the above checked out in the week, appreciate your help :)

BluntyR5GTT
06-12-2009, 15:05
right side of engine looking from the front or right side looking from the back?

could be coming from timing chain cover,maybe creeping from a not sealed/loose rocker cover?..or the washers on top are perished ?

sorry mate its the left side if looking from the front :agree:

James5
06-12-2009, 15:07
right thanks guys ill get all the above checked out in the week, appreciate your help :)

Just had a similar prob on mine removed sump and re done with all new seal and still leak turned out to be the oil pressure sender on the oil feed pipe to the turbo

BluntyR5GTT
06-12-2009, 15:08
Just had a similar prob on mine removed sump and re done with all new seal and still leak turned out to be the oil pressure sender on the oil feed pipe to the turbo

brilliant mate ill get this checked first, what new bits did you have to get ?

BluntyR5GTT
06-12-2009, 15:27
im going go pick a oil pressure switch up from gsf 2moz or tues

dave j gtt
06-12-2009, 19:13
im going go pick a oil pressure switch up from gsf 2moz or tues

there is two sensor on some oil feed's and one on others. ;)

BluntyR5GTT
11-12-2009, 16:33
well guys its all sorted now :) it was the oil cooler pipe was loose etc happy days

J$£5GTT
11-12-2009, 17:36
well guys its all sorted now :) it was the oil cooler pipe was loose etc happy days

good to here.

BluntyR5GTT
11-12-2009, 17:47
bloody to right it is lol thought this was going end up a process of elimination type of job but thank god it aint :)

just been out for a celebratory drive :burnrubber:

BluntyR5GTT
14-01-2010, 16:27
spoke to soon guys the problem is still there and if anything its worse now as its from both sides the engine god knows what it is its getting on my nerves tho :mad:

Markey Mark (BD)
14-01-2010, 17:24
spoke to soon guys the problem is still there and if anything its worse now as its from both sides the engine god knows what it is its getting on my nerves tho :mad:

Is it wet on the timing cover or just the sump?
Have a look up the side of the sump and see how high it goes

BluntyR5GTT
14-01-2010, 17:28
its going in gt motorsport on monday mate its pretty hard for me see anything whilst its in my drive and if im honest im running outta patience with it already if its not fixed this time am going cut my losses and get rid

Markey Mark (BD)
14-01-2010, 17:39
its going in gt motorsport on monday mate its pretty hard for me see anything whilst its in my drive and if im honest im running outta patience with it already if its not fixed this time am going cut my losses and get rid

Your going to get rid of it because an oil leak, bit drastic that mate.

There's not many place's it can come from

BluntyR5GTT
14-01-2010, 17:44
tbh the car had only meant to be a stop gap whilst i saved for a mk1 focus rs but iv got quite attached to it, nah i wont get rid but am very miffed with it atm :confused:

i know the previous owner had the head gasket done so im wondering if the rocker cover is not on right or the gaskets washers etc aint right ? i only think this as it s coming from both sides where before it was only coming from the left side if looking from the front

Markey Mark (BD)
14-01-2010, 17:47
tbh the car had only meant to be a stop gap whilst i saved for a mk1 focus rs but iv got quite attached to it, nah i wont get rid but am very miffed with it atm :confused:

i know the previous owner had the head gasket done so im wondering if the rocker cover is not on right or the gaskets washers etc aint right ? i only think this as it s coming from both sides where before it was only coming from the left side if looking from the front

If you can at some point have a look underneath, this will give an idea of where its coming from.
Do you know what sealent GT Motorsport used on the sump and also where they put the sealent? I ask this as in the manual it says you don't put any sealent on the half moon seals but i find you have to, they leak if there's none there.

BluntyR5GTT
14-01-2010, 17:50
yes he knew about this mate and its caked on there trust me lol

its very difficult to see under my car as its very low and its parked in an awkward place in my drive all will become clear when i take it to gt as im going stay there and investigate myself when its on the ramps

Markey Mark (BD)
14-01-2010, 18:05
Thats cool mate.

BluntyR5GTT
14-01-2010, 18:06
Thats cool mate.

:) iv booked monday off work so ill be having a good look and if any parts are required i can get them there and then

markey b
14-01-2010, 19:07
my sump used to leak badly, so i decided to remove all traces of sealant (renault thixo) and just use a GSF cork gasket, no sealant apart from tiny spots where the rubber end seals sit, and that was to hold them up as i did it with engine in situ.... never had a leak since, so much so i'm worried the underside of my car might start corroding away now:laugh:

BluntyR5GTT
14-01-2010, 19:39
i actually bought a vgc 2nd hand sump then removed all the bits of old sealant a also got the cork gaskets from gsf along with the new sump seals had it all sealed up and still no good am convinced its not the sump thats for sure :agree:

James5
14-01-2010, 19:47
my sump used to leak badly, so i decided to remove all traces of sealant (renault thixo) and just use a GSF cork gasket, no sealant apart from tiny spots where the rubber end seals sit, and that was to hold them up as i did it with engine in situ.... never had a leak since, so much so i'm worried the underside of my car might start corroding away now:laugh:

gsf cork gasket tell me more :) just about to put my sump on soon and I fecking hate the sealant. is the cork gasket a gtt part or is it of a different renault engine.
Do you have a part number?

markey b
14-01-2010, 19:50
gsf cork gasket tell me more :) just about to put my sump on soon and I fecking hate the sealant. is the cork gasket a gtt part or is it of a different renault engine.
Do you have a part number?

i've actually got one in the boot of my raider... i'll post the part number up shortly

not sure if its GTT or not, i know it comes in the GSF bottom end set, and i was able to order one on its own when i was planning on doing the sump on the raider.
they are same as timing chain cover ones :)

James5
14-01-2010, 20:04
Cheers Mark part number would be cool I use a cork gasket on the timing chain cover at the mo but found it in my spares box so no idea were I got it from.

i've actually got one in the boot of my raider... i'll post the part number up shortly

not sure if its GTT or not, i know it comes in the GSF bottom end set, and i was able to order one on its own when i was planning on doing the sump on the raider.
they are same as timing chain cover ones :)

BluntyR5GTT
14-01-2010, 20:10
cgb also sell the cork gasket mate

markey b
15-01-2010, 11:44
sorry for the delay,

part number is payen HC354 :agree:

BluntyR5GTT
16-01-2010, 05:54
iv just ordered a new rocker cover gasket and washers from cgb and im also going to pick a new oil pressure switch up this morning from gsf

lets see if this will solve the problem

Smokey
16-01-2010, 07:24
mite see u up there Andy as im popping up for about 10 ish for a few bits and bobs good to see yopu up there an av a look an chat bout the cars.

BluntyR5GTT
16-01-2010, 07:56
ill be going at about 8.30 mate as iv got go up to mikeanics in congleton to drop the rolling road day deposit off

Smokey
16-01-2010, 08:16
never mind ay...sure there will be other times may be national day when ill get to meet everyone.

BluntyR5GTT
16-01-2010, 11:56
where abouts are you from pal ?

Kenobi
16-01-2010, 14:25
I was reading an advert for some liquid the other day that said it can stop oil leaks if applied to ya oil????

Hows that possible then?

Smokey
16-01-2010, 16:22
i live close to the west bromwich albion ground and had to pop and get some bits i got them but wanted a radiator as mine as gone. shud be sorted monday tho.

BluntyR5GTT
16-01-2010, 17:07
so you come up to stoke to get them ? is there not a gsf round your way fella ?

iv got go back on monday for the oil pressure switch

Smokey
16-01-2010, 17:28
my bad...i read it all wrong i thort you were collecting your items from cgb but it was on ur oil thingy..

BluntyR5GTT
16-01-2010, 18:03
lol thats no probs fella :agree:

BluntyR5GTT
17-01-2010, 13:11
well guys iv just taken the oil filler cap off to find this i did see a slight bit the other night but i just thought it was due to the conditions and with it being standing for 26 days, anyway iv also noticed the coolant level is dropping quite fast as well :(. whats really done my nut is that the guy who sold me the car told me it had just recently had the head done. big question is would the head gasket going cause the oil leak that i have ??

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq4/bluntyn40/DSC00021.jpg

James5
17-01-2010, 14:58
well guys iv just taken the oil filler cap off to find this i did see a slight bit the other night but i just thought it was due to the conditions and with it being standing for 26 days, anyway iv also noticed the coolant level is dropping quite fast as well :(. whats really done my nut is that the guy who sold me the car told me it had just recently had the head done. big question is would the head gasket going cause the oil leak that i have ??

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq4/bluntyn40/DSC00021.jpg

mate that doesn't look to good have you checked the breather pipes to see if they are fully of Mayo also? A loss if coolant and that much Mayo would point to h/g failure :(

Do you know what caused the orginal h/g failure? Do you know if the head was checked before it was put on or replaced? Also was the block tested for flatness

Which side of the engine is the leak coming from?

BluntyR5GTT
17-01-2010, 16:00
its coming from both sides and all i know is that the previous owner has receipts for a head gasket and uprated head bolts on the 15/09/09