PDA

View Full Version : my wife 's golf gt tdi

redrocket29
30-11-2009, 20:09
Her golf '54 plate regularly goes into 'safe mode' where the engine is restricted by the engine management system, in the short term if we switch the engine off and leave it 5mins then set off again it is fine. The engine warning light comes on sometimes and the computer read out says its a problem with the turbo. The garage checked the operation of the turbo and said the 'vane actuator' is very stiff and it needs a new turbo. When the computer is reset the car runs fine for ages again until we go on a longer journey. Day to day shorter journies are fine with no probs.
Anyone know anything about this by chance, do we need to replace the turbo or can the actuator just be replaced?

James5
30-11-2009, 20:15
Vnt turbo matey to be honest the vanes prob just need a good clean up as they do get caked in crap which prevents vane movement personally speak with Adam l as it may be just a refurb required and they can test the actuator

redrocket29
30-11-2009, 20:20
do you think the garage are having is us on? if it was on older car i'd have it in bits myself, but as it's her car and quite new she wants it done properly.
where can we get it cleaned?

Adam L
30-11-2009, 20:21
If you're able to do the work yourself, i'll tell you what to do. In a situation like this you'd only be offered an exchange unit.

redrocket29
30-11-2009, 20:24
how difficult is the work? I'm happy to do it if it's not too difficult and you can give us clear instructions.

Adam L
30-11-2009, 20:35
It can be fiddly, and you've got to be VERY careful taking the turbo apart. There's pins and rollers inside that are pretty small and if you lose them, you're ****ed.

The main concern is when you put it back together, you're going to have to set the vnt back up again, as you can't just slap them back in. The smallest of adjustment can knock them out, which is crucial for it's performance.

Cleaning the vanes themselves won't be much of an issue as it's going to dust mainly. You tend to get alot of town cars suffering from these symptoms, or people who drive like miss daisy every time they use the car. You need to give deisel vnt's a good blast every now and then the prevent tis problem.

nath17t
11-12-2009, 19:42
ive come across this problem before first port of call is to disconect the actuator and work the arm ive had that sort it and like said before thay need a good kickin now and again to keep them right thay do free off if thay are not that bad

Nick k
13-12-2009, 23:46
I've seen this too, It overboosts due to the vnt being stuck and then goes into limp home mode by cutting the diesel injection to protect itself. There is also a soleniod on the bulk head that can fail which can cause a simular fault due to the ecu having no waste gate control over the turbo. The actuator is sucked open apposed to a R5 with uses booth pressure to control the turbo. If i recall ( correct me if im wrong ) with no stuck on the actuator the vnt is set to bypass.

mikey_r5gtt
16-12-2009, 11:34
I only read the first post, but my VW did the same, all that happened was a boost pipe and unclipped and it was over boosting. I clipped the hose back in, reset the ecu and its fine now