PDA

View Full Version : front mounted intercoolers???

steveR5GTT
27-11-2009, 14:47
I'm lookin at changin the fmic on my 5, I've been lookin at someting like the rs500 style and choppin out the front cross member, can any1 tell me what's best though, over all surface of the cooler or depth or bit of both really, and what is bar and plate, is this a good design or should I be lookin for someting else ? Cheers

Spooky
27-11-2009, 15:35
Bar & plate reflects the design of the core and is widely regarded as being more efficient than tube & fin.

rs250nut
27-11-2009, 19:42
I'm lookin at changin the fmic on my 5, I've been lookin at someting like the rs500 style and choppin out the front cross member, can any1 tell me what's best though, over all surface of the cooler or depth or bit of both really, and what is bar and plate, is this a good design or should I be lookin for someting else ? Cheers

One of my gtt's has the front cross member cut out by the previous owner and its not something I would do. Once its removed what is there to keep the legs from flexing? Mine has a crude piece of angle iron bridging across but what is that going to do when its bolted to a flimsey headlight panel.

Markey Mark (BD)
28-11-2009, 16:34
Once its removed what is there to keep the legs from flexing?

A subframe.

I've done it a few times and never had a problem, i've always fitted a bar behind the intercooler which is welded to the exsisting crossmember to add abit of strength back though.

steveR5GTT
28-11-2009, 17:23
A subframe.

I've done it a few times and never had a problem, i've always fitted a bar behind the intercooler which is welded to the exsisting crossmember to add abit of strength back though.
yeh ive had this on 1 of my other cars and seen it done on quite a few high powered cars urs inc, so cant c why there wud b a problem tbh

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=651&pictureid=8588

dave j gtt
28-11-2009, 20:16
I also want to know a good intercooler? that could be used like picture maybe a smaller option :D.

just which one do i go for buy, :scratch: been like this for weeks :scratch: 1 want one that can be piped nice and tidy :scratch:

rs250nut
29-11-2009, 11:05
A subframe.

Fair comment but if it were not needed it would not be there, have you ever had a shunt without one? plus that part of the subframe is quite low down. Good well performing/ handling cars should be as stiff as possible so by removing bracing what do you think happens? Hence why people add decent multi point cages.

steveR5GTT
01-12-2009, 14:15
well ordered 1 now
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270438062895&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

should b here this week, goin to have to modify slightly as need inlet and outlet on the same side but got a top notch engineer to do all the work for me and tbh i think the price is spot on aswell :D

dave j gtt
02-12-2009, 19:32
:scratch:

steveR5GTT
03-12-2009, 11:15
:scratch:
:confused: