PDA

View Full Version : gordini turbo/gt turbo engine

raj
07-09-2008, 19:17
what are the differences in the gordini bottom end compared to the gt turbos.?

physically does the gt turbo gearbox bolt up to the gordini bottom end?

raj
11-09-2008, 19:14
bump

Tiny Tim
11-09-2008, 19:15
Am I right in thinking the Gordini turbo lumps are placed longitudinally?

Kris M
11-09-2008, 19:21
Yes Tim, also ( not bottom ane related) but the dini head is crossflow

raj
11-09-2008, 19:27
yes i know both of the above but whats the difference in the bottom ends?

they both have the same cc but would one be stronger than the other?

also what engines do the t1's t2's have? was it not the gordini engine just efi'd.? :confused:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
11-09-2008, 19:57
yes i know both of the above but whats the difference in the bottom ends?

they both have the same cc but would one be stronger than the other?

also what engines do the t1's t2's have? was it not the gordini engine just efi'd.? :confused:

I think they are pretty much the same, apart from the camshaft extending through the block on a Gordini to drive the water pump and altenator etc... I aslo seem to remember that the bearing at that end of the block is bigger in diameter too.....

Adey aka Ewok
11-09-2008, 20:13
when i last looked into it i dnt think the bolt pattern is suitable for the gtt box on the gordini bottom end.the fly wheel is a fair bit smaller on the dini too, could be done but with alot of custom work

Sparkie
11-09-2008, 23:23
the block is nearly the same
however...
the block has a bearing on the rear cam journal- which if removed- im not sure the remaining hole is the same size as the GTT cam journal bearing.
the crank has a bearing in it where the gearbox input shaft sits and there is a double crank gear for the duplex chain.
the bit of the block that extends out for the gearbox - engine steady bar has been ground flat. as well as various bolt holes that extend out on the front of the block - all ground flat by renault.
the turbo 2 block is the same as the gordini block except is has a single chain and the cam bearing journals are the same as a GTT.

think thats about it.

why did you wanna know?

raj
11-09-2008, 23:52
the block is nearly the same
however...
the block has a bearing on the rear cam journal- which if removed- im not sure the remaining hole is the same size as the GTT cam journal bearing.
the crank has a bearing in it where the gearbox input shaft sits and there is a double crank gear for the duplex chain.
the bit of the block that extends out for the gearbox - engine steady bar has been ground flat. as well as various bolt holes that extend out on the front of the block - all ground flat by renault.
the turbo 2 block is the same as the gordini block except is has a single chain and the cam bearing journals are the same as a GTT.

think thats about it.

why did you wanna know?

was something i was just thinking about not wanting to do.
i thought maybe the gordini block could be mated up to the gtt box and then the whole thing fitting up front in a gtt.! doesnt look like thats really possible.

also. would the gordini not produce more power with the same mods as a gtt? with the gordini being cross flow?

Adey aka Ewok
12-09-2008, 15:47
my old gordini with a gtt carb rolling roaded at 150bhp @ 7psi if i remember correctly

raj
12-09-2008, 17:34
my old gordini with a gtt carb rolling roaded at 150bhp @ 7psi if i remember correctly
really! so it is actually producing more power than the std gtt.:agree:

Adey aka Ewok
12-09-2008, 18:48
more efficient, but runs a small t3 as stock

raj
12-09-2008, 18:53
more efficient, but runs a small t3 as stock
this is one thing i never understood. why did renault fit a bigger turbo to the gordini?
and going by what a few say on here the t3 isnt suited to the gtt? so im abit:confused:

Andrew Cooke
12-09-2008, 19:51
this is one thing i never understood. why did renault fit a bigger turbo to the gordini?
and going by what a few say on here the t3 isnt suited to the gtt? so im abit:confused:

the same reason a T3 was fitted to a metro - back then T3 was the smallest turbo you could get.

rew
13-04-2012, 10:00
Explains the stupid amount of lag on my dini Turbo then, probably why so few are left... ;)