PDA

View Full Version : pulsar

Pete@Backyard Racing
20-11-2009, 20:19
Im buying a pulsar on sunday (still keeping my 2 r5gtts tho). Im getting it cheap off a m8 because it needs abit ov engine work. Apparently it needs a crank. ive found a pulsar breaker "gtir us" abit like cgb but 4 sunny/pulsars.

Has anybody got any experience with pulsars?
I no its guna be a bitch to work on (big engine 4x4 small car) but im guna attempt the rebuild myself with a haynes manual.
Has anyone got any tips on what to look out for when buying, common faults etc and tuning advice. Also wheres the best place to get spares? :)

gtmatt
20-11-2009, 20:26
i am sure adam l should sheed some light on this:)

i know parts are a pain to get hold on them quite expensive:)

HULK
20-11-2009, 20:29
Don`t know very much about the engine side of them but...........

Have a look and see if it still has the standard umbrella/brolley inside the passenger door!! :laugh:

Pete@Backyard Racing
20-11-2009, 20:37
i am sure adam l should sheed some light on this:)

i know parts are a pain to get hold on them quite expensive:)

yeh adam l pointed me in the directon ov "gtir us" for any spare parts i'd need. :)
most parts are pretty cheap tbh.

Pete@Backyard Racing
20-11-2009, 20:39

Have a look and see if it still has the standard umbrella/brolley inside the passenger door!! :laugh:

I'll bare that in mind when i go tyre kicking :confused:

Andrew Cooke
21-11-2009, 00:08

that was only the early ones

Pete@Backyard Racing
21-11-2009, 00:21
that was only the early ones

I dont get it? is this a joke? or did early sunnys come with an umbrella?:confused:

Andrew Cooke
21-11-2009, 00:22
I dont get it? is this a joke? or did early sunnys come with an umbrella?:confused:

they did, there was a cover in the back edge of the driver's door jam, the umbrella was inside the rear 1/4

Andrew Cooke
21-11-2009, 00:23
how much are you paying, I could do with selling mine.

Scoff
21-11-2009, 00:35
they did, there was a cover in the back edge of the driver's door jam, the umbrella was inside the rear 1/4

I guess thats what the japanese designers thought the brittish drivers needed the most.

Andrew Cooke
21-11-2009, 00:37
I guess thats what the japanese designers thought the brittish drivers needed the most.

whilst walking to a phone box to call the AA?

I think you'll find that Japan has more than enough rain and snow of it's own.

Andrew Cooke
21-11-2009, 00:39
http://members.tripod.com/~Caleb_GTiR/umbrella.htm

Pete@Backyard Racing
21-11-2009, 00:42
http://members.tripod.com/~Caleb_GTiR/umbrella.htm

lol thats the funniest thing ive ever seen. I thought someone was winding me up :laugh:

Pete@Backyard Racing
21-11-2009, 00:43
how much are you paying, I could do with selling mine.

pm

philg
21-11-2009, 08:33
i had one for about 2 months, mine was a standard grey import, was mint, i had planned on spending a few quid on it, put it in for a full respray, they went joyriding in it, and spent about 6 mths tyring to get my cash back.

In the time i had it i fitted a mongoose exhaust and blitz air filter, now i never believed in stage 1 mods doing much at all, but what a difference these parts made, it was like i had unstrapped 40hp, the car must have been choking.

I think up to 280-300 is about as high as you can push these with standard engine parts, everyone says the weak part of these car is the gear box, but run the car up to say 260bhp all stripped out, uprated running gear and big brakes i think an awesome car for £4k

I had really toyed with another instead of buying the 5 i just have.

good luck :)

Pete@Backyard Racing
21-11-2009, 20:17
i had one for about 2 months, mine was a standard grey import, was mint, i had planned on spending a few quid on it, put it in for a full respray, they went joyriding in it, and spent about 6 mths tyring to get my cash back.

In the time i had it i fitted a mongoose exhaust and blitz air filter, now i never believed in stage 1 mods doing much at all, but what a difference these parts made, it was like i had unstrapped 40hp, the car must have been choking.

I think up to 280-300 is about as high as you can push these with standard engine parts, everyone says the weak part of these car is the gear box, but run the car up to say 260bhp all stripped out, uprated running gear and big brakes i think an awesome car for £4k

I had really toyed with another instead of buying the 5 i just have.

good luck :)

cheers m8, sum gud info there, cant wait 2 see it 2moro :)

Pete@Backyard Racing
21-11-2009, 20:23
I remember my m8 saying it handled really bad on std shocks and springs so he fitted tien coilovers. This made it better but still not very good. His other car is a pug 106 gti which every one knows handle like a go kart. Is this an unfair conparison? or do they not handle very well? A lancier delta intergralle is a similar spec car ie small hatchback 2.0l turbo 4x4 and theres are reputed to handle awsome. I thought the pulsar mite have been similar? :confused:

philg
22-11-2009, 14:03
they are not supposed to be great handlers. I was told not to lower them to much either, leads to diff problems. I knew a lad who had one and he had to fit a white line kit to make it handle better.

I can not comment on mine as i only had it months and it had some funky snow tyres on or something :laugh:

phil

Pete@Backyard Racing
22-11-2009, 18:24
Well i took the plunge and picked the pulsar up this afternoon. It needs alot of work but i got it cheap. cant wait 2 get stuck in with the engine rebuild and give it an alround tidy up. :)

I'll keep u all posted :)

Pete@Backyard Racing
22-11-2009, 18:26
ps it doesnt have an umbrella flap like in the above link, is this only on the sunny gtir?

gtmatt
22-11-2009, 19:32
you got some projects on the go now mate lol , will have to come up and see it once the valver is on the road:)

Rob@Backyardracing
22-11-2009, 20:38
Matt it will never be finished :laugh:

gtmatt
22-11-2009, 20:40
Matt it will never be finished :laugh:
you seen it mate ??:)

Rob@Backyardracing
22-11-2009, 20:54
you seen it mate ??:)

No, give me shout this week and we will go and see it... :rolleyes:

Andrew Cooke
23-11-2009, 13:10
ps it doesnt have an umbrella flap like in the above link, is this only on the sunny gtir?

as I said before, the early ones had it.

phase i 16 v turbo
23-11-2009, 13:22
There should also be a road side flare up under the passenger's foot well. I had one for several years. Mine was a J reg import cam e with the umbrella. Most Nissan dealers can supply the parts; if not there is a guy over in East Grinstead that breaks them. If not go to the docks and you can pick them up for £1500 - £1700 without a SAV test. Nissan can also check the history to see if it had been rallied as alot of the early cheap ones had a dark history.

The Sunny GTI-R was UK spec, Pulsar was import. Make sure the insurance have it correct. Had problems with mine.

Pete@Backyard Racing
27-11-2009, 21:14
There should also be a road side flare up under the passenger's foot well. I had one for several years. Mine was a J reg import cam e with the umbrella. Most Nissan dealers can supply the parts; if not there is a guy over in East Grinstead that breaks them. If not go to the docks and you can pick them up for £1500 - £1700 without a SAV test. Nissan can also check the history to see if it had been rallied as alot of the early cheap ones had a dark history.

The Sunny GTI-R was UK spec, Pulsar was import. Make sure the insurance have it correct. Had problems with mine.

Wots a road side flare up? u got me worried now :confused:

The new Bill J
27-11-2009, 21:18
I believe all cars in Japland have to carry a flare (the same way you need to carry a boot-full of crap in Europe). They should be removed from cars when they're imported into this country, as they're classed as explosives. Sometimes though, they get forgotten about.