PDA

View Full Version : Who uses their 5 GT Turbo as an everyday driver?!

5GTTurbo
17-11-2009, 20:09
Im just curious to know who actually uses their 5 GT Turbo as an everyday driver/commuter and not a weekend blat or track toy?!
Be interesting to see the responce! :)
Cheers...

dangerous dave
17-11-2009, 20:22
i did for a few years after buying my black one on 136k, ran it as my main car till 150k or so..

Bigfoot
17-11-2009, 20:26
I used my car 90miles a day to commute to uni and back 4 days a week, one reason why I started commuting so I could buy that car and have some enjoyment :D

GTphil
17-11-2009, 20:31
I used mine for 4 years as an eveyday car:cool: did around 35k in that time and they were hard miles too! :wasntme: had one engine bulid three gearboxes and three clutches in that time too plus a few dings!:ashamed:

Since I bought a normal car:laugh: I'm not sure how I managed all that time in a five:scratch:

Spooky
17-11-2009, 21:11
Mines a daily driver...was when I brought her the 1st time round and is again 2nd time round :D

bye_all_c_ya
17-11-2009, 21:13
id be happy to use mine full stop lol, but ive used all my other 5's as a everyday cars

Char#
17-11-2009, 21:36
i use mine every day!!! dont know if thats fun or just stupid!!!

ollie j
17-11-2009, 21:43
I used mine for 2 years as a daily driver and didnt once give it a thought, Looking back i did have quite a few issues but thats part of the fun.

Shane P
17-11-2009, 22:19
i use mine every day!!! dont know if thats fun or just stupid!!!

Nothing stupid about it at all, all 5's (except maybe cup cars and cars built purely for drag) should be everyday cars :smokin:

J$£5GTT
17-11-2009, 22:24
never drive mine at all,dont go anywhere,scared of it going wrong....:cooter:

Matt Cole
17-11-2009, 22:35
My bro uses, his everyday to and from work, goes on track at least twice a year, gets dragged at the pod and does a couple of rolling road days!! Only put a clutch in it in 4 years!! The rest is just servicing and keeping it spot on.:agree:

price82
17-11-2009, 22:41
i use mine every day and it never breaks down ha ha ha ha:D

Mart
17-11-2009, 22:53
I use mine everyday without fail. Still love it, and that's after nearly 15 years of owning/driving gtt's.

It's a nice touch when you get random people giving you the thumbs up, or stopping you to have a chat about the car :) That's happened twice in the last week alone :cool:

Plus the ~350 miles (just as the light comes on) to a tank FTW!

Matt Cole
17-11-2009, 22:56
I use mine everyday without fail. Still love it, and that's after nearly 15 years of owning/driving gtt's.

It's a nice touch when you get random people giving you the thumbs up, or stopping you to have a chat about the car :) That's happened twice in the last week alone :cool:

Is the carb standard mart?

Mart
17-11-2009, 23:04
What do you think? :D

Maka
17-11-2009, 23:05
i used to use it as a daily drive for a year.
then the ex lady used it for 8 or 9 months.
took it off her due to all the attention she was getting haha
its currently wrapped up for winter.
costs far to much to run these days what with 95ron costing £1.06 in the mansfield area now!

but like mart says, people see the car and give you the thumbs up or stop you to talk about the car!

its quite strange that a R5 would attract so much admiration from a lot of the public.

tobester
17-11-2009, 23:07
I used my blue one every day for 8 years, only broke down in need of a tow two times in those 8 years, one small water pipe on the back of the manifold let go and another where the fuel pump decided to sieze. I clocked up close on 45,000 miles during that time, loved it. The black one i currently have is a fun car, use it evenings and weekends, holidays too, no back seats means more load space :)

I also plan on taking it on a road trip through Europe in January, will clock up 2,500 miles through France, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Czech republic and Belgium, should be fun, particularly without a heater.:cartman:

Mart
17-11-2009, 23:10
I also plan on taking it on a road trip through Europe in January, will clock up 2,500 miles through France, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Czech republic and Belgium, should be fun, particularly without a heater.:cartman:

You'll love it. There's some badical roads out there :)

Scottish9Turbo
17-11-2009, 23:15
plan on using the 9 as an every day car, same engine as the 5 and most of my mates who have had them swear by them as being reliable daily cars, probably more reliable than my rs turbo to be honest! thats as unreliable as a bag of dynamite with a box of matches next to it!

J$£5GTT
17-11-2009, 23:32

drive it a bit harder an all that will change squire...:cooter:

Slim
17-11-2009, 23:39
i would .. if i could afford the amount of fuel! :cry:

Slim
17-11-2009, 23:40
and if i trusted my right foot not to press any harder... :cry:

markey b
18-11-2009, 00:09
used my orange one as a daily driver for the 1st year of ownership, then got a second car when it was painted.... and recently got a raider as a daily drive, and touch wood its been absolutely spot on, its even cheap to run!

markey b
18-11-2009, 00:10

mine is driven hard every day...... its all about low boost, std turbo and good mpg for the daily grind! :agree:

Pete@Backyard Racing
18-11-2009, 00:19
I used mine as a daily driver for a full year including driving in poor weather conditions ie. snow and rain. I didnt like driving it in poor conditions always felt like i was wrecking my car. Now its just come off the road 4 the winter. Im picking a pulsar up on sunday while my 5s off the rd. :)

5alldaway
18-11-2009, 01:17
using mine as an everyday at the minute

the only commuting i really do is to the gym and back but the roads around here allow the legs to be stretched :)

Mart
18-11-2009, 09:08

I do :p

bigbadboytank
18-11-2009, 09:59
You'll love it. There's some badical roads out there :)

I Just took my phase 1 to Germany and back, had no issues at all, not bad for a 23 year old car!!!

Great fun. :D

BriC
18-11-2009, 13:03
I've used GTT's as daily drivers for the past 2 years (but I don't any more, because I drive 100 miles a day!), and never really had any major issues

JRP
18-11-2009, 13:35
As said in other simalar threads... My red beast was ued everyday for a sprint down the motor way then in town driveing for 2 years with out fault :) they love it :)

My current one when its running will only go out on dry sunner days with no grit or salt even near the road..... so want be going near the coast :)

EDIT i used to give it death, and yet never went wrong... yet i serviced and cleaned it more than a normal person

TommyB
18-11-2009, 14:08
I use mine everyday, :agree:

J$£5GTT
18-11-2009, 19:08
mine is driven hard every day...... its all about low boost, std turbo and good mpg for the daily grind! :agree:

:agree:.....:p

soapymech
18-11-2009, 19:20
use my 5 every week but half the time im in this:)

RussellT
19-11-2009, 17:20
I have used Doris every day for the last 18 yrs. Up to 190K miles now. This includes track days RR days and now 7 seasons of sprints and hill climbs where I drive to and from the events.

Its not the most comfortable car but she is always great fun :cool:

jesus in the seat of a 5
19-11-2009, 17:25
I have used Doris every day for the last 18 yrs. Up to 190K miles now. This includes track days RR days and now 7 seasons of sprints and hill climbs where I drive to and from the events.

Its not the most comfortable car but she is always great fun :cool:

:worship:..all hail doris...:D

RussellT
20-11-2009, 18:11
:ashamed:

She has used up most of her 9 lives in that time.

2 engine changes
1 lady driver pulled out on her and she would have been written off if they realised the subframe was bent before they fixed the bodywork
1 serious engine fire
1 garage fire (Ex pit crews works went up over a weekend with her inside, they didnt let on and it was only when I remarked that my clothes were getting covered in soot that they owned up)
1 very serious MOT failure mega welding required to sills
1 major rebuild (First garage refused to have anything to do with her and they had taken on Will Holmans Capri from PPC mag)
Several track related incidents, such as head on into a Grand National fence at Aintree (Doris doesnt jump)

Oh and finally she survived the second coming of the Messiah up the inside into Gerrards at Mallory Park :eek:

5GTTurbo
20-11-2009, 21:15
Wow, that was a unanimous (spelling :scratch:) reply!
V positive, thats what i like to hear! lol

Matt Cole
20-11-2009, 21:45
Russel, Doris reminds me of triggers brush!:D

stuTHC
21-11-2009, 10:19
Used and abused everyday. 55k in 4 years.

NayJ
21-11-2009, 22:21
use mine everyday for nearly a year now, no problems mechanically, not too bad on fuel if you keep off the turbo:rolleyes:. until yesterday pulled up to get perol and wouldnt start at all, nothin off the key what so ever, had to bump the bas£££d to get it back, any ideas?:mad:

RussellT
23-11-2009, 10:33
starter motor or battery

Shane P
23-11-2009, 10:47
use mine everyday for nearly a year now, no problems mechanically, not too bad on fuel if you keep off the turbo:rolleyes:. until yesterday pulled up to get perol and wouldnt start at all, nothin off the key what so ever, had to bump the bas£££d to get it back, any ideas?:mad:

Mine did that too a couple days ago, nothing from the key at all, not even a damn click :) Somehow the white starter motor solenoid wire had snapped at the connection of doom by the headlight ( or as i call it the 'connection of eternal damnation' )

atecautos
23-11-2009, 16:52
have been using my 18 psi 5 every day for 4 years, believe it or not never let me down apart from things needing to be done due to boost increase ie clutch, t25 turbo, fuel pump, carb, intercooler, big brakes, I have just purchased a volvo 480 turbo, bought full car only for the engine, still in two minds if the engine should go into r5 due to the fact the c1j has never let me down, also purchased a starlet gt turbo with two holes in block at no1 piston, crazy thing still fired up with two oil fountains pouring out, have already bought a engine just needs fitting.

sphinX
23-11-2009, 21:28
Use my little beast every day :) 21psi for the winnnnn! Doesn't let me down apart from 2 alt belts slipping off in over a year :D