PDA

View Full Version : House Plumbing/ Radiators

Kenobi
14-11-2009, 17:22
Right what do the nobs on the side of radiators do?

Also why would a radiator only half heat up. Ie bottom as hot as lava and top not even warm??

Is this airlocks? do I need to bleed this one radiator?

How exatly would I do that?

JRP
14-11-2009, 17:26
which nobs are you on about? if its the ones at the top, one of then ends will be the bleed screw bit. Get a radiator key and a rag, pop the key on and turn to loosen, until you hear air gushing out. wait, wait , wait and when water starts to come out close the screw. rad should be hot.

Remeber if you have a pressurised system, you will need to top the pressure back up, or other wise the low water switch wont let the boiler fire.

If you find the rads all getting filled with air, just nock the pump down to a lower speed, that may cure it... but may make heat up time slightly longer.

If you are stuck which i cant imagine you will be feel free to call me you got my number.

JRP
14-11-2009, 17:27
Bugger me i learnt that in 3 years graft at a britishgas accademy... hmmmm might go build a rocket now :laugh::laugh:

Hoolio
14-11-2009, 17:28
You need a key, triangular cut out, undo slowly until you hear air hissing out and leave open until water starts to drip out.

Two posts to my one jon :(

Hoolio
14-11-2009, 17:30
pressure switch is normally on the boiler.

JRP
14-11-2009, 17:32
pressure switch is normally on the boiler.

Thats an expansive comment, considering the amount of different boilers and system types lol, and which cowboy installed it ;)

Hoolio
14-11-2009, 17:34
Yeah the operative word there was "normally" :)

JRP
14-11-2009, 17:35
Yeah the operative word there was "normally" :)

The bugbear word in the statement was ''Normally'' as nothing is normal on boilers or systems these days.

Hoolio
14-11-2009, 17:38
Okay.

Consult your manual to find the pressure switch.

How's that.

JRP
14-11-2009, 17:40
Okay.

Consult your manual to find the pressure switch.

How's that.

External or internal to the boiler? internally then yes ;):laugh:

boysie
14-11-2009, 17:48
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

if the bottom is hot but the top cold it could be your radiator valve is stuck, if it is a thermostatic type ( one with a big nob with numbers on it) you could try taking the head off by unscrewing it, there normally just screwed onto the valve, and then you will see a little pin on the valve, try CAREFULLY pushing it down and pulling it up, dont use too much force or you may pull it out, and have a bit of a leak, if you dont fancy doing all that you can take the technical approach in just hit the valve with a small hammer!! seriously this does actually work sometimes as it can dislodge the stuck valve,

hope this helps:)

JRP
14-11-2009, 17:52
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

if the bottom is hot but the top cold it could be your radiator valve is stuck, if it is a thermostatic type ( one with a big nob with numbers on it) you could try taking the head off by unscrewing it, there normally just screwed onto the valve, and then you will see a little pin on the valve, try CAREFULLY pushing it down and pulling it up, dont use too much force or you may pull it out, and have a bit of a leak, if you dont fancy doing all that you can take the technical approach in just hit the valve with a small hammer!! seriously this does actually work sometimes as it can dislodge the stuck valve,

hope this helps:)

Chances are you just wouldnt get heat in said rad just heat to the valve and no further... you could unscrew the top and tap the pin, but try bleeding first yeah ;)

I vistit so many houses were people have had huge leaks etc because they attempted it them selfs... i know its wrong but i do chuckle

Kenobi
14-11-2009, 18:07
ok so do I bleed Radiator with heating on or off?

JRP
14-11-2009, 18:12
Some would now say, depends where the pump is.

Do it first with heating off that should make it alot better. :)

Switch it all off at the clock,

J8TRO
14-11-2009, 20:12
Make sure you know how to top up your system before doing this matey, as JRP said in a early response. Last thing you want is to sort out your half hot rad but the heating not to work at all due to low pressure.

Normally a garden tap style valve or small open close valve you find on washing machine connections. This will be located very close to your boiler and basically adds water back into the system, if you put too much in don't worry it will blow it off under pressure, much like a 5!

Your boiler will most probably work at an optimum pressure, normally 1 to 1 1/2 bar i wouldn't fill it over 2 bar.

JRP
14-11-2009, 20:39
Make sure you know how to top up your system before doing this matey, as JRP said in a early response. Last thing you want is to sort out your half hot rad but the heating not to work at all due to low pressure.

Normally a garden tap style valve or small open close valve you find on washing machine connections. This will be located very close to your boiler and basically adds water back into the system, if you put too much in don't worry it will blow it off under pressure, much like a 5!

Your boiler will most probably work at an optimum pressure, normally 1 to 1 1/2 bar i wouldn't fill it over 2 bar.

As j8tro said but topp to 1bar maybe 1 and half.. if it blows off via the PRV you risk getting **** in that valve then it lets by, you will for ever after be topping up your pressure ;)

Gttnutter
15-11-2009, 01:43
Either on or off it dont matter, make sure both valves are open (either side of rad)

And with a bleed key and cloth open the bleed nipple (which will be on 1 side at the top) only undo it till you hear the air (like a tyre deflate) come out, you dont need to take the nipple all the way out. Once the air has escaped you shold get a dribble of water, Now do the nipple back up (repeat this on all the rads in your gaf bud :agree: