PDA

View Full Version : Drilling door hindges

scratcher
29-09-2008, 22:27
the doors are pretty droopy on the 5 and new pins didn't fix it so the next step is to drill and fit larger roll pins. has anyone done it before and was it easy enough?
oh, and what size pins should i be using next?

cheers

Schakal
29-09-2008, 22:35
you sure the drop is caused by loose pins ?
sometimes its the mounting points that drop and jacking
it under the door with a piece of wood brings it back to right level .

scratcher
29-09-2008, 22:47
i'm pretty certain the pins have worn away the insides of the hinges.
you can lift the passenger door up and down a good few mm but the hinge doesn't move.

raj
29-09-2008, 23:16
jacking the door up??
that doesnt sound proper to me? a temporary fix more like.

redrilling the hinge will sort out the problem, its what ive had to have done in the past.
you could possibly get a engineers shop to make you some sleeves to fit over the original hinge pins for a tight fit.

Ian S
29-09-2008, 23:40
Yeah there was an article by myself on the old site. Something about drilling the hinges to 8mm and get / make sleeves with a 8mm OD and 7mm(?) ID and fit new OE pins.

Deano
30-09-2008, 07:57
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

If someone can tell me the diameter of the door pins i'll get some knocked up today, i just need the diameter of the door pins so i know what to drill the bushes out to.:smokin:

DaveMayGTT
30-09-2008, 08:44
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I think originally there 7mm and people drill to 8 and put an 8mm roll pin in, its the easiest way. I had to do it after my doors which were bolted in had the bolt snap in the hinge so had to drill it out. You can get inserts or 8mm roll pins as far as i remember.

scratcher
30-09-2008, 16:29
yeah, the oe ones are 7mm. i'll get down to halfords for some 8mm pins then, definatly get my dad involved on this, steady hands, lol.

cheers for that guys, wish me luck :agree::agree:

raj
30-09-2008, 17:57
yeah, the oe ones are 7mm. i'll get down to halfords for some 8mm pins then, definatly get my dad involved on this, steady hands, lol.

cheers for that guys, wish me luck :agree::agree:

let us know how yo get on:agree: i dont know how your going to drill the hinges on the actual body:confused: looks bloody arkward to me!

wrightygtt
30-09-2008, 18:49
Can I just add, that the fitting and refitting of Doors/ hinges/ roll pins, getting the doors flush was the hardest job for me when doing my mini resto, what a ballache.:cry:

Goodluck.

michael tierney
30-09-2008, 22:51
I TRIED a right angled chuck with reamer but it still would'nt let me in straight enough.i think u would need a right angled collet air drill!!

Scoff
30-09-2008, 23:34
I got so fed up with not being able to remove the worn pins from my car (early car so roll pins) that I made a cut in the top hinge and bent it up so that the door lined up well once again.

Its a last (or lazy) option, but procedure is this:

Remove wing
Use angle grinder with a large (6" atleast) cutting disc
Cut into the middle of the "L" shaped metal post that is welded into the pillar
Do not cut all the way, you cut about 7mm in leaving maybe a few mm of metal left
This makes the hinge pretty bendy
Pull the whole door upto the right height again (the "L" post will bend now that you've weakend it)
Weld up the cut once your happy

wrightygtt
01-10-2008, 16:17
I got so fed up with not being able to remove the worn pins from my car (early car so roll pins) that I made a cut in the top hinge and bent it up so that the door lined up well once again.

Its a last (or lazy) option, but procedure is this:

Remove wing
Use angle grinder with a large (6" atleast) cutting disc
Cut into the middle of the "L" shaped metal post that is welded into the pillar
Do not cut all the way, you cut about 7mm in leaving maybe a few mm of metal left
This makes the hinge pretty bendy
Pull the whole door upto the right height again (the "L" post will bend now that you've weakend it)
Weld up the cut once your happy

:cool:

Nice work, Both my doors have been replaced with Renault originals, with all the bashing about trying to get the pins out, made the hinges seriously all over the shop, front to back left to right, I spent frigging hours putting the doors on, taking them off, then back on agin, messing about with the door stay, and yes I did put a block of wood in the shut carefully, might be the bodged way but it worked near enough for me. Wish I'd tried the above method tbh.