PDA

View Full Version : Paint info

Misky
12-11-2009, 15:28
I just wondered if this type of paint (matt blue) is easily available & if poss some codes? I believe its similar to the lambo blue.

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/[IMG]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg72/misky88/img3956ja5nw5.jpghttp://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg72/misky88/img3956ja5nw5.jpg

djinuk
12-11-2009, 16:11
my friend did a bmw e30 recently in matt green and said all matt colours are easily available, gota say that blues not very nice though.

Misky
12-11-2009, 16:21
Cheers mate!
Suppose its personal preference. I was thinking either that or dark grey.
But then couldn't i just use primer??

djinuk
12-11-2009, 16:35
I think like a battleship straight grey would be nice, like the colour of that twin engined r5.

rs250nut
12-11-2009, 17:15
Matt and satin finishes can look good if done right, although can be quite hard to keep looking good and not the sort of thing you want to try outside a spray booth though as it requires a gun finish where no nibbing and polishing can take place. You could do it two ways add the matting agent to a straight 2k colour or base it up in blue then add the matting agent to the clear coat.

clee
12-11-2009, 17:31
Or get 16 rattle cans and give it a proper RAT look :cool:

I would love to have it done professionally but can't afford it .... spending on go , not show .....

scratcher
12-11-2009, 17:50
That look like a good finish from the rattle cans Clee :agree:
And I'd say the blue on the golf is amazing, it'd look great on a retro car too.

Misky
13-11-2009, 12:21
Matt and satin finishes can look good if done right, although can be quite hard to keep looking good and not the sort of thing you want to try outside a spray booth though as it requires a gun finish where no nibbing and polishing can take place. You could do it two ways add the matting agent to a straight 2k colour or base it up in blue then add the matting agent to the clear coat.

Some good info there thanks!
I did some searching last night and found the matt blue i like, 2lt when thinned so plenty there. Obv i will be using a compressor, I just fancy doing it myself I have paid for resprays in the past and had a go a few times myself with good results.

Just a couple of concerns

1) plastic trims - Will the matt take and paint over like primer of just flake off?

2) general prep? the car need a rub down or will the paint take?

rs250nut
13-11-2009, 17:49
Some good info there thanks!
I did some searching last night and found the matt blue i like, 2lt when thinned so plenty there. Obv i will be using a compressor, I just fancy doing it myself I have paid for resprays in the past and had a go a few times myself with good results.

Just a couple of concerns

1) plastic trims - Will the matt take and paint over like primer of just flake off?

2) general prep? the car need a rub down or will the paint take?

1. Any plastic trim will need to be preped with some scotch then a suitable plastic adhesion promotor/primer other wise it will flake off.

2. Everything will need rubbing down/preping if you have a d.a sander you could machine sand it all with 400/500 then scotch the edges or if you want to prep it properly wet sand the whole car with 800 grade plus. Personally I like to block everything with 600 and then finsh on 1000/1200.

3. Try to concentrate on keeping things clean, wash everything down with clean water. Clean clean and then clean some more before you get the spray gun out.