PDA

View Full Version : citroen xantia 1.9 td

djinuk
11-11-2009, 16:01
Just after some opinions on the above, a friend has one very cheap with tax and test, got to see it yet but would be used for a runner, cheap insurance and fuel etc

is there anything to check on these?

Sparkie
11-11-2009, 16:54
they can run on 'pure' veg oil, up to 80% veg, 20% diesel....

must check to see if the car can drop to the floor and then raise to normal running height, then go right the way up to service height. - if it dont there might be a snapped plastic clip attached to the rod under the car at the rear.

ALWAYS USE AXLE STANDS ON THESE CARS AS THEY CAN DROP TO THE FLOOR VERY EASILY.

Brigsy
11-11-2009, 17:05
If the clutch is slipping walk away, its a carry on to do. Make sure the suspension works as it should.

The engines are bullet proof though. Mines on 161k & still runs mint!

MFaulks
22-11-2009, 22:55
If not too late.... better if you can get one with a recent cam belt change & the Bosch fuel pump than the Lucas unit. Bosch runs very happy on anything from heating oil to 100% veg, never used to add diesel or normal gas to the brew... just straight in and go, even through winter, real laugh when started in -ve temps and no torque until it warmed up, but after that no probs... 200k+ on mine, and the interesting thing is the detergent action of the veg means when you open up the bottom end it isn't sooty and black gunk as normal diesels but spotless clean.. nice :D Usual things go on them, hydraulic pumps, spheres etc , electrics, senders ..., but all pretty rugged and easy fixed. Make sure both fans are kicking in if you have the air-con. Have a look see which turbo is on there, KKK or Garrett much of a muchness but you can tweak the Garrett actuator. Cams do wear with the usual in-frequent oil changes & high mileage, and shim under buck adjustment if XUD - pain. Pre-combustion chambers also fall out of the head and wreck a chamber and that isn't uncommon, other than that they are great mile munchers :laugh:

Sparkie
23-11-2009, 00:04
If not too late.... better if you can get one with a recent cam belt change & the Bosch fuel pump than the Lucas unit. Bosch runs very happy on anything from heating oil to 100% veg, never used to add diesel or normal gas to the brew... just straight in and go, even through winter, real laugh when started in -ve temps and no torque until it warmed up, but after that no probs... 200k+ on mine, and the interesting thing is the detergent action of the veg means when you open up the bottom end it isn't sooty and black gunk as normal diesels but spotless clean.. nice :D Usual things go on them, hydraulic pumps, spheres etc , electrics, senders ..., but all pretty rugged and easy fixed. Make sure both fans are kicking in if you have the air-con. Have a look see which turbo is on there, KKK or Garrett much of a muchness but you can tweak the Garrett actuator. Cams do wear with the usual in-frequent oil changes & high mileage, and shim under buck adjustment if XUD - pain. Pre-combustion chambers also fall out of the head and wreck a chamber and that isn't uncommon, other than that they are great mile munchers :laugh:

100% veg, it used to cut out when cold when trying to idle. dangerous at islands....

MFaulks
23-11-2009, 01:07
mine used to sound like a tractor for 5 mins and then after that ok, I was going to play around with the timing of the pump, but in the end didn't bother. I did have a fresh head and rebuilt injectors, so may have made a difference...