PDA

View Full Version : Rust removal from within engine block

James5
10-11-2009, 11:03
As per title I am wondering what people have done to remove rust from within the block around where the liners would go, as mine is looking pretty nasty (i would say previous engine owner has just used water for a long long time with no coolant) and I really dont want it going around my coolant system.

The block is still in situ within my engine bay head is removed, pistons, liners, are removed it's merely just the crank in place.

What do people use to remove the rust or what rust remover is best to use I really want to try and do it with the block in situ as it is (but then i don't want the rust to damage the crank i don't really have the facilities at the moment to full remove the engine.

Jimmy_GTT
10-11-2009, 11:17
I do not know what will be the best solution.
Maybe wet and not rough sand paper.
But anyway you start to get rid of the rust first try to put kitchen foil (I hope this is the name....) on the crank. To avoid it as much as possible.

stuTHC
10-11-2009, 12:54
If you cant remove the engine then it's gunna be a case of getting yourself a coarse wire brush, some nasty 'dont get it on your skin' type chemicals and a catering size tub of elbow grease!!
Best way would be to take the block out, strip it and send it for a chemical clean (hot parts washer), DO NOT be tempted to sand blast it, the sand will get into the oil galleries and you will never get it all out.

Sparkie
10-11-2009, 13:02
if you were feeling lazy, i would spray the inside of the block with alloy wheel cleaner. leave it for a couple of hours, then spray again.
the alloy wheel cleaner has phosphoric acid in it. - it turns rust into another form of iron oxide (the black hard stuff, as opposed to the flakey red stuff), you could then rinse it off and be left flake free.
it won't harm your crank either.

or if you can paint vinegar on, and keep doing it every for hours, for a day or so. - then brush with a wire brush - it will be back down to bare metal. - try soaking stuff in vinegar - works a treat- acetic acid ;)

James5
10-11-2009, 13:49
if you were feeling lazy, i would spray the inside of the block with alloy wheel cleaner. leave it for a couple of hours, then spray again.
the alloy wheel cleaner has phosphoric acid in it. - it turns rust into another form of iron oxide (the black hard stuff, as opposed to the flakey red stuff), you could then rinse it off and be left flake free.
it won't harm your crank either.

I am to lazy to lift the block out by myself so would rather do it all in place so the alloy wheel cleaner sounds fantastic :D

Many thanks for all the advice peeps:cooter:

Sparkie
10-11-2009, 13:59
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphoric_acid

more info near the bottom.

J$£5GTT
10-11-2009, 16:57
this stuff looks good for sealing up the block-

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8393&frostProductName=Glyptal%20%28946ml,%20US%20Quart% 29&catID=&frostCat=&frostSubCat=&subCatID=

:agree:

tobester
10-11-2009, 17:01
I had the same scenario, picked a block up which had been sat in a garden in the rain, had it acid dipped at my local machine shop, came up like new.

Lewis
10-11-2009, 17:20
Use that minty mint campus block you had from me.

James5
10-11-2009, 17:48
Use that minty mint campus block you had from me.

I am saving the c3j block for my fecking awesome engine build in the future as you know I have done the necessary to use in a gtt.

gtmatt
10-11-2009, 19:36
i wire brushed all mine out :)

Scoff
10-11-2009, 19:47
a big wire wheel on a drill :)

but, here's the problem. If you've left the engine open to the elements you've got problems. If you get any of that rusty debris into the crank case, you've got problems. The last thing you want is crap floating around in the oil. Before you start anything, tape up all the open orifices at the top of the block and tape up the crank journals. Once your done, go to town cleaning the crank case out shortly before you put it all back together.

Matt Cole
10-11-2009, 19:58
TBH mate i wouldn't be happy with leaving the block in or any contamination to chance. You dont really need a crane, plank of wood and some rope will do.

Wallace
10-11-2009, 21:00
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphoric_acid

more info near the bottom.

I actually found that quite interesting to read:ashamed::agree::agree: