PDA

View Full Version : turn key, no dash lights, no start..

dangerous dave
09-11-2009, 23:19
my old 5 starting to play up a little, starter was a bit lazy at times but it was getting cooked but the turbo/downpipe and manifold so expected it.. however my mate phoned this evening saying it wont start so i popped over to save the day:scared:

when you turn the key the stereo pops on, battery light flickers every 20th time, but other than that nothing at all happens, no solenoid, no poor cranking.....nuffin.

i wiggled the connector of doom
i wiggled the switch wire to the starter
i wiggled the alterator wires and also the tdc pick up..

i bumped it and got it home at which point it fired up straight away, but i just cant believe its a buggered battery.....i've been telling him all week its the starter:cartman:

any ideas, nights are getting dark so i need to get it sorted.:)

dangerous dave
09-11-2009, 23:21
id also like to congratulate myself for posting this in the wrong section, its was for the gtt one.. :)

car.crash
09-11-2009, 23:28
if it started off a bump start check the alternator and battery.

dangerous dave
09-11-2009, 23:38
if it started off a bump start check the alternator and battery.

i'll pop a new one on as there cheap as chips, i'll check the voltage when i get a chance.. the only thing i had with me when i went to see the car was my half a grand iPhone and theres no multimeter app yet:(

Kempy
10-11-2009, 13:12
Did you check your engine earths are all ok. Had the same problem, changed them, and hey presto. No more issues. :D

Spooky
10-11-2009, 14:11
Dave, check the battery voltage when you crank it dude. Should be seeing atleast 11-12v to start.

If the voltage is dropping off or none existent, add some earths ie jump start cable from the batt neg term to the gearbox, the more the better.

Sounds like a dying/dead starter motor...

dave j gtt
10-11-2009, 14:12
altenator earth was at fault when this prob occoured to me ;) my "battery" that the RAC guy said was fooked is still on going strong :scratch:

Earth - Front of engine block "the loom that gose down from the alt, has a earth sticking out of it and attaches to the bottem front of engine block,or is that just how mine was i cant remember now. well where ever your alt's earths go to check them or put new ones on ;)

Its hard to get at i rememeber. the bolt could of just come loose and eventuly fell out, my best geuss ;)

hope this help regards dave :ujack:

dave j gtt
10-11-2009, 14:14
Did you check your engine earths are all ok. Had the same problem, changed them, and hey presto. No more issues. :D

:agree:

markey b
10-11-2009, 15:49
also check starter wiring, the nut where the power cables bolt on, if its not tight it can arc and melt through the solenoid and its the main feed from the batt

Os8472
10-11-2009, 15:58
Get a jump lead and connect one end on the negative terminal of the battery and the other end on a nice bare bit of metal on the block, then try it

dangerous dave
10-11-2009, 16:21
seems to be thinking what im thinking then, i suspected the earth might be a cause of the lazy starter ages back and it should still have a new one in the boot from when i sold it.. im always the first to tell people to get a voltmeter on it but i really hate buying things that get borrowed and i'll never see again, my last went walkies:crap:

i wont see the car for a few evenings so i'll get onto it when i see it, few extra ideas there so i should find the fault pretty quickly:cool::scared: