PDA

View Full Version : off roading

mike r5 gtt
09-11-2009, 20:50
iv been going to tracks for about 7years and fancy doing something diffrent!!a bloke a work goes offroading and it sounds like fun!iv been looking at a disco or a fourtrak coz there cheap http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:passionford.com/get/forum/images/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif!as far as i can tell i just need to jack it up and get some winches and im good to go!!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:passionford.com/get/forum/images/smilies/smile011.gif just wondered if anyone here dabbles in the dirt?can offer any tips!

Bigfoot
09-11-2009, 20:55
Off-roading is great :D yes, raise it up. Get some good tires, and also move the air filter by using a snorkle, depends on how extreme you want to go really. Going in off-road centres most people just used ropes to tow people out. Not many strong trees about. Save the money on the winches unless are going to go about it alone but would be better in an organised group.

clee
09-11-2009, 20:57
'Thar she blows indeed Diane '
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNybnRkj-MY

mike r5 gtt
09-11-2009, 21:01
'Thar she blows indeed Diane '
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNybnRkj-MY

:cry::cry:

5teve L
09-11-2009, 21:04
Suzuki SJ 410 or 413, easy to jack up, go near on anywhere & cheap to run/repair.

mike r5 gtt
09-11-2009, 21:09
i like the idea of a dirty diesel!!hopefuly lots of grunt to pull me free when i sink!i was looking at suzukis but wasnt sure if it would last that long!and apparntly they tip easy!!

gtmatt
09-11-2009, 21:16
disco's are cheap now 200tdi , get an mot failure one if u fancy doing the work , rust is a killer on the old discos , but great for 4x4 there is a few on ebay goin around the £500 quid mark , get some big tyres , and your sorted , we go green laneing at weekends good fun:)

Bigfoot
09-11-2009, 21:21
Old style range rover v8 :cool: had the 3 dr version, great off-roader it was.

Ryan p
09-11-2009, 22:32
iv been there an done it. can be gd fun but with a landie u will need deep pockets cause the break alot lol gd tyres can cost as much as buyin a cheep disco an winches can be the same again. dont want to sound like a kill joy cause i loved it just didnt like the amount of money an time it took. an the fact it stoped me from sortin my 5's

Spooky
09-11-2009, 22:39
I used to take my company car on the odd off road escapade :wasntme:

allanr5gtt
10-11-2009, 15:22
quite a few of my mates are into off-roading, we have sum proper good laughs, v8 range rover classic is a good 1 2 start with but then it starts gettin expensive on the fuel side of things, diesel discos are cheap and can b tweeked to get abit more power, all depends on how much you wana spend at the end of the day tho mate

defo say ull need proper set of tyres, winch and poss a hi-lift kit if u can afford it, also wana look at hi-lift jack, ground ankers and waffle boards, id stick to land rover tho as parts are always avalible and cheap to get aswell

Sparkie
10-11-2009, 17:05
quite a few of my mates are into off-roading, we have sum proper good laughs, v8 range rover classic is a good 1 2 start with but then it starts gettin expensive on the fuel side of things, diesel discos are cheap and can b tweeked to get abit more power, all depends on how much you wana spend at the end of the day tho mate

defo say ull need proper set of tyres, winch and poss a hi-lift kit if u can afford it, also wana look at hi-lift jack, ground ankers and waffle boards, id stick to land rover tho as parts are always avalible and cheap to get aswell

alot of my mates who do this have disco's, but they alway praise the suzuki SJ's

jesus in the seat of a 5
10-11-2009, 17:37
I did around four years of this , started off green lanning and doing trials, it was a right laugh, i started in a 110 landy with a n/a diesel engine, then i progressed into a range rover coilsprung shortened chassis on a series 2 , light as ya like body , with a full internal / external roll cage , rock sliders, x9 superwinch with poly rope etc etc , running a 4.6v8 with a supercharger...torque a plenty..:laugh:, i ended up doing comp safari rally`s with a friend , where i ended up rolling it good n proper...:wasntme:, the beast still lives on today...:), if youre going to do it , id join the all wheel drive club , the green lanning asscociation etc etc..Sjs are fun and cheap , a diesel is best , they love water...like dale said whack a snorkel on and plunge in....:D, a 200tdi disco or a scrappy 90 defender is aso a good starting point...go get dirty...:D

Bigfoot
10-11-2009, 17:47
Playing in deep ponds is great :D you either get through or jump out the window as water soon floods through the vehicle. Great thing about them though is just drag it out. Let the water run away and start it up and away you go again, and try going faster/slower through that puddle again and again till you make it. Tried the trials but was never that fun, lots of clubs around this area which for a day out off roading plus every weekend was different especially when half the track was driving through a marsh :D