PDA

View Full Version : Phase 1 Clio 172 questions

Ricardo
09-11-2009, 20:13
We've settled into our new abode (2 bed bungalow) and fortunate enough it has a decent size garage to put a car in and plenty of spares etc :)

Cut a long story but the Clio has been up for sale for a while, in that time a couple of bits have needed sorting but not dedicated my time to getting it done. The Volvo sidetracked me in doing things so now it's gone i'm putting my time and effort and money into sorting the bits out. I'll then decide whether to put it back up for sale or keep it for now.

It's being booked in tomorrow to have the replacement gearbox fitted, this should be done mid next week. While the gearbox is off it's having a new clutch kit fitted and of course new gearbox oil.

The drivers window mechanism broke too so i've sourced a 2nd hand complete unit which i'll tackle this weekend

The gear stick mechanism will be changed as the lift up toggle doesnt work and reverse can be selected as per any normal forward gear which makes going into 1st quite interesting when yer at the lights if you're not used to it :D

2 new Yokohama parada tyres will be fitted

6 months tax to buy

Also the airbag and SERV light are on as i have an aftermarket steering wheel fitted. I've been told to fit a resistor on the wiring from the OE airbag setup if that makes sense to anybody.There's going to be more questions i'll be asking as the jobs continue in the upcoming week or 2.

A question i have is this:

Where's the fusebox!?

I've found relays in the passenger footwell, and there's heavy duty fuses (60amp etc) in a box on the passenger side near the ECU in the enginebay. It looks like there's another ECU/black box in the scuttle on the drivers side.
The problem i have is when i was messing about with the foglights. The drivers side worked, all that was required was to put a bulb in the passenger side. In the midst of messing about with wires the drivers side foglight stopped working, what i also noticed was on the dash the green front foglight symbol doesn't come on now and the fogs don't work!

Spooky
09-11-2009, 20:32
The fuse box is on the drivers side of the dash board...open the door and look at the end of the dash...hmm...looks mysteriously like a cover ;)

Andrew Cooke
09-11-2009, 23:34
The fuse box is on the drivers side of the dash board...open the door and look at the end of the dash...hmm...looks mysteriously like a cover ;)

Driver's side?

Spooky
10-11-2009, 08:38
Well, I thought there was...I havnt looked lately :wasntme:

Ricardo
10-11-2009, 16:32
The fusebox is indeed right at the end of the dashboard on the passenger side, visible only when the door is open :D

Anyway, foglight issue solved, it was the 20 amp fuse blown which i replaced from 1 on the fusebox lid :)

Next job is the airbag light, i'm sure someone mentioned the SERV light comes on the same time. I have an aftermarket steering wheel fitted and have been told as there's no airbag in the steering wheel i'd "need a resistor to put in the connector to fool the airbag computer into thinking the airbag is still there"

I haven't got a clue what this means so could anyone help out on this 1 please, where is the airbag 'computer' located? Resistor, rating?? i'm not sure what this means :scratch:

Any help is appreciated :)

Spooky
10-11-2009, 20:43
I knew it :D

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
10-11-2009, 20:50
Airbag computer is under centre console, beware of mucking about with resistors, as normally, to carry out most jobs on airbags and pretensioners, you 'Lock' the airbag computer to stop false triggering.........I think you can order the correct diagnostic resistor from Renault special tooling, its quite a big red plastic housing with twin gold plated terminal resistor inside it, clip off the plastic housing and connect the resistor to the wiring plug that goes to the airbag, light goes out.......but you didn't hear that from me....;)

Ricardo
10-11-2009, 21:09
Airbag computer is under centre console, beware of mucking about with resistors, as normally, to carry out most jobs on airbags and pretensioners, you 'Lock' the airbag computer to stop false triggering.........I think you can order the correct diagnostic resistor from Renault special tooling, its quite a big red plastic housing with twin gold plated terminal resistor inside it, clip off the plastic housing and connect the resistor to the wiring plug that goes to the airbag, light goes out.......but you didn't hear that from me....;)

Wow, thanks Matt, if you could elaborate on how to acquire this diagnostic resistor could you PM me please. Renault special tooling, i can't imagine just walking into parts dept and ordering such a thing ;) :D

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
10-11-2009, 21:14
No probs...I'll try and get a price for you on Friday as will be away for the next 2 days now.
Ta Matt.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
10-11-2009, 21:15
Renault special tooling, i can't imagine just walking into parts dept and ordering such a thing ;) :D

We do.......:laugh:

Ricardo
10-11-2009, 23:03
No probs...I'll try and get a price for you on Friday as will be away for the next 2 days now.
Ta Matt.

Much appreciated Matt :cool:

Ricardo
11-11-2009, 20:40
Big thanks to Shoppers today, i rang Cit-Ren today to see if they had a couple of phase 1 Clio OZ alloys which they did. Shop Boy sorted the deal out and is having them delivered to his house so i now have a complete set of OZ wheels to go back on the Clio. If they're not in great nick i'm looking into painting the set in matt black.

Also hoping to get the 2nd hand window mechanism by Friday so i can tackle that job this weekend

Ricardo
13-11-2009, 15:57
Drivers side electric window now working! Picked up a mechanism from my local Renault breakers today, it took about an hour from taking the door card off, removing old and fitting the replacement :)

Gonna pop back down there tomorrow to see if they have the ol gearstick mechanism part. Slowly working through the bits :ashamed:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
16-11-2009, 22:11
Much appreciated Matt :cool:

I'll try infotech for the exact part no. and price.....but I think the resistors come in an RTE diagnosis kit.....if I remember correctly the resistor is 2.6 ohms.....but thats not gospel....

Ricardo
16-11-2009, 22:27
I'll try infotech for the exact part no. and price.....but I think the resistors come in an RTE diagnosis kit.....if I remember correctly the resistor is 2.6 ohms.....but thats not gospel....

Cheers Matt, i've sourced some info regarding resistors for all the airbags.

"Drivers airbag between 1.8 to 6.2 Ohms. This runs through the lines 1 and 2 of the airbag/pretensioners computers"

You have PM

Ricardo
19-11-2009, 19:15
Slight setback with the gearbox today, the gearbox i bought is a JC5 from a Williams Clio 2l 16V. No problem with the fitment of the box itself, what won't work is there are 3 threaded holes on the bellhousing that are in totally different locations which is for the gearbox to hang off :sad2:

I've sourced a phase 1 gearbox but it looks like i'm gonna have to make a 5hr round trip to pick it up so the mechanic can get it fitted Saturday morning :cry::coffee:

Oh well, that's life :wasntme: