PDA

View Full Version : Fooked piston rings?

Bass J
07-11-2009, 17:29
Hi folks ..me again :(

Basically i did a carb service...the car sat for a month without moving or turning over due to lack of funds. So today i put the carb on ..then my lucas leads.

In a nutshell dont do a carb service in the freezing cold at nite and when your tired :(

Turns out i put the float on the wrong way so it flooded the engine with fuel ..now im getting a sqweeling noise on idle and at the exhaust its smoking like fook ..white smoke :(

My mate said do an oil change ..squirt a wee drop of oil down the bores and turn it over with the king lead off ...and see if the noise and smoke disapears.

What you all think?

Mart
07-11-2009, 17:50
Not necessarily a knackered engine. Could just simply be condensation out the exhaust, which is perfectly normal this time of year, and the squeeling could be the alt' belt slipping/gone slack where it's been sitting idle for so long.

Tighten the belt, get the engine upto temperature, take it out for a good run, then see if you're getting any white smoke. If so, check your coolant level in the header tank to see if you're losing water internally, and/or carry out a compression test.

Bass J
07-11-2009, 18:16
Ok ill do that aswell as the oil change ..cheers :)

Bass J
08-11-2009, 18:21
well i did the oil change..turned it over with the king lead off to get the oil pumped round it. Started the car and wahey the noise went away :) ..but it was still smoking ..white smoke ...ive put it down to the turbo being goosed :(:( ...ive had the same smoke on my last t25. It did however drive fine and smoothly on its test drive ..apart from the shed load of smoke it didnt stall when coming to junctions ..so the carb overhaul/service helped it out :):)

Now to source a turbo to get me through the winter :smokin:

Mart
08-11-2009, 19:13
Did you read the bit about condensation?

Jimmy_GTT
08-11-2009, 19:37
Check what Mart has written.

Check the level of your coolant. If you really loose any.

Bass J
09-11-2009, 18:53
aye i read about the condensation ...the smoke came in the dash area ....and when on throttle it pushed loads of smoke out for the whole drive :laugh: .. ive had a turbo go on me before and its very similar :laugh: . I was speaking to miller from ere last nite ..says it could be my headgasket ... im gunna keep my eye on water levels after fitting the new turbo next weekend and see how it goes from there :)

youngscottie
09-11-2009, 21:15
if you think its the turbo remove the coolant to it by bridging the hoses together
thus stopping any coolant entering the core
take it for a decent run to temp then check it if its ok refit the hoses then test again if it smokes the turbos sh4gged run it without coolant till you get a replacement:cry:

Bass J
09-11-2009, 21:44
Ive only ran it with the oil pipes due to me not having the turbo water pipes lol. ..i thought only oil would be suffice :)

youngscottie
09-11-2009, 22:01
Ive only ran it with the oil pipes due to me not having the turbo water pipes lol. ..i thought only oil would be suffice :)

dosent sound like the turbo to me then as oil dont give white smoke
have you had it up to a good temp as mart suggested :confused:

Rob@Backyardracing
09-11-2009, 22:18
Jesus surly you can smell if its oil or coolant.... :brickwall:

Bass J
09-11-2009, 22:22
Its definately not coolant i can smell ..as for getting it upto temp i havent tried as there isnt much fuel left in the car ..i will howeever get some fuel 2mora nite and get the car upto temp and see how it goes.

Spooky
09-11-2009, 22:28
:popcorn:...

:laugh: